• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

IOC to Strip Hamilton of Gold

What should be done about the 2004 Olymic medals?

• Tyler should be the winner, as they all doped

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With the statute of limitations up, the IOC has decided to strip Tyler Hamilton of his Gold medal from 2004, and hand it to the guy who was sitting just to his left on the infamous USPS blood doping bus. In case you forgot, Tyler already turned over his medal to the USOC voluntarily some time ago.

Ekimov now "wins" the gold. He is also on record saying that Tyler is a liar, and there was no doping on the USPS team by anyone, especially he and Lance.

Bobby Julich up to silver, Michael Rogers now gets the bronze.

Poll votes are public.

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I put that it should go to no winner, but really for that to happen, they would need to just throw out all of the winnings of every pro cyclist for the last 8 years, or award them to one of the French Collies that seems to somehow run in front of the peleton at least once a year during the Tour.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
poupou said:
After US Postal hearing, they will have to give those medals to someone else.:D

It would be cool if after the hearings, IOC grants the medals to the Clinic. :D

They might as well.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe they should award all three medals to an asterisk. Not to riders with an asterisk, but to the asterisk itself.

poupou said:
After US Postal hearing, they will have to give those medals to someone else.:D

All hail the new 2004 Olympic Time Trial Champion:
Bobby Julich ahh I mean
Michael Rogers uhm
Michael Rich (at the time riding for that paragon of clean cycling Gerolsteiner)
Vino for the win! I mean Ullrich. Botero! Gonzales de Galdeano.
Fabien Cancellara? Maybe?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Just give Vino the gold.

;)

So funny, who wasn't involved with anything?

Naam Resultaten Tijd

Seizoen
Tyler Hamilton 1 57:32
Vjatceslav Ekimov 2 +0:19
Bobby Julich 3 +0:26
Michael Rogers 4 +0:30
Michael Rich 5 +0:38
Alexandre Vinokourov 6 +1:26
Jan Ullrich 7 +1:30
Santiago Botero Echeverry 8 +1:33
Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano Aranzabal 9 +1:56
Fabian Cancellara 10 +2:11
Yuriy Krivtsov 11 +2:18
Christophe Moreau 12 +2:19
Marc Wauters 13 +2:28
Michal Hrazdira 14 +2:35
Victor Hugo Pena Grisales 15 +2:38
Jose Ivan Gutierrez Palacios 16 +2:51
Rene Andrle 17 +2:56
Eric Wohlberg 18 +3:00
Peter Van Petegem 19 +3:04
Frank Hoj 20 +3:06
Thomas Dekker 21 +3:06
Laszlo Bodrogi 22 +3:13
Serhiy Honchar 23 +3:29
(c) Cyclingjournal.com

Take your pick
http://www.wielren.com/php/koers.php?koersid=738&jaar=110&vertaalid=

Anyone?

The rules are that you win and pass the tests. Tyler won and passed the tests.

We only know he doped for the event because he was forced to testify to the feds. That is not something anyone else in the competition was subjected to. how can you give take a medal from someone for failing a test, and give it to someone who was not required to take it.

The Hitch said:

We only know he doped for the event because he was forced to testify to the feds. That is not something anyone else in the competition was subjected to. how can you give take a medal from someone for failing a test, and give it to someone who was not required to take it.

This reason.....
hard to argue any podium here :confused:

While I do support the general concept of removing past results from dopers, it can't help shake the feeling that this is somehow tied into the Armstrong-USADA dealings. The prevailing opinion in the Clinic has been that the USOC/IOC has huge financial incentives to maintain the appearance of integrity within the OGs, and therefore will side with USADA (and by extension WADA), or at least not speak out publicly against USADA.

However, if Verbuggen still has enough pull within the IOC - especially as he might still be considered the IOC's "go to guy" in cycling matters - then perhaps this could be a first warning shot of intimidation across the bow of the likely USADA-Armstrong witnesses? i.e. If you threaten to adversely affect the UCI even if indirectly through your testimony, the UCI will use whatever connections and methods it possesses to take whatever you have, or have achieved in cycling.

I know other explanations can be given to explain the timing, but to me it still seems a little too close for comfort IMHO.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Take away the Olympic gold and give Tyler a gold for honesty and cojones, which is far more valuable and admirable.
Ekimov should go get stuffed.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I dont know that Tyler would be intimidated by such a ruling, as he already returned his medal to USOC.

Intimidation not for Tyler's benefit (he had already all but abdicated the gold anyhow), but to show other potential witnesses that past results can and will be officially stripped from them. That can't happen yet, since the witnesses haven't even testified, but it gives them a picture of what their future may be.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
Take away the Olympic gold and give Tyler a gold for honesty and cojones, which is far more valuable and admirable.
Ekimov should go get stuffed.

For Hamilton handing back the medal was literally a weight removed from around his neck - he is better off without it.

My natural choice to the poll is A, give it to the person in second if they do not have a positive against them.

But as Eki was on the Bus...... I guess if he wants to have it (even though he is second best doper) then he should not only be allowed have it, the IOC should insist he wear it all the time.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
He did fail a test

The Hitch said:

Weren't these the olympics where Tyler got busted for blood doping, but his B sample was compromised (frozen blood sample I think) so the result couldn't be confirmed?

So he only passed the tests on a technicality.

When Rogers retires, how many medals will he have that were handed down from dopers doing the same thing he was? How does he get up in the morning and look at himself in the mirror? Down in Australia does he actually promote himself as the winner or medal winner of these events?

I tend to think d) podium positions should always be final. I've certainly never agreed with pretending that somebody else won - having no winner is preferable. If you don't want a doper winning your race then all the more incentive to prevent him riding / catch him before the race starts (and especially before it ends)

In this particular instance wasn't Hamilton warned about his values months before the race ? If you let him start your race under those circumstances then you either accept he was sufficiently clean as defined by your testing parameters, or accept you made a mistake in letting him start

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Held my nose and voted give it to Ekimov. As much as it makes the sport even more of a joke, thems the rules. Sucks to hand it to a guy who didn't even take the test that Hamilton passed. Something wrong with that. Those guys should have the balls to decline the upgraded medal. Not going to happen.

TRENDING THREADS