• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is AC doing all he can?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Is Contador doing all he can to try and prove to the world (well those interested) that he is not a doper?

Lets' see his bio-passport from the 2009 TDF for example, when we know that others blood levels did not show the true drop that should be seen during the third week of a GT.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Is Contador doing all he can to try and prove to the world (well those interested) that he is not a doper?

Lets' see his bio-passport from the 2009 TDF for example, when we know that others blood levels did not show the true drop that should be seen during the third week of a GT.

Answer clearly is no: if he's innocent, then

- why hasn't AC filed charges against the HUMO
- why does AC not speak of the plasticizers in any of his public performances
- what's AC's way of explaining the fact that his initials were on Fuentes' list, especially when Jaksche, a Fuentes customer, has confirmed on television that the initials were Contador's
- why doesn't he ever complain about other doped riders ever

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
It's too early. His issue right now isn't with fans, it's with organizations that can pretty much end his career. Last summer he won a third Tour de France at age 27. If that's taken away from him, and he loses future salary and sponsors, what's the motivation for him to keep training on his own with no income and try to win a third Tour de France again. If he's banned, he doesn't need to prove anything to fans, just like he doesn't need to come back and subject himself to the kind of insults he receives on an hourly basis here and in the press.

If he wins two legal battles, and most of the "fans" and press don't give him a snowball's chance, then he can think about regaining his reputation among the open minded people in the sport. People are talking about a rest day transfusion as if it's carved on stone that he did it, but all I can think of is the days he struggled on climbs, and how bad he sucked in the Time Trial. If he did something illegal, it didn't work.

Some people hate him because he's Spanish. Some don't like him because he wins. A lot of people want him gone because then their favorite would have a better chance to win. Some think everyone dopes. None of them are likely to change their minds because of published test data. Some people believe him now.

People who care about the sport, and want it clean, should be rooting for the Competition Committee to find him innocent, because a lot can be brought to light if he does battle with the UCI and WADA. They've gotten some serious stuff wrong, including the UCI trying to sweep it under the rug. If he wins the first round, you can find out about lab delays, and leaks, and organizational bad behavior. Alberto probably has well over ten million Euros hanging in the balance on all this - two years of Saxo salary, three months of Astana, personal endorsements. He's in a position to give the two (too) powerful organizations the fight of their lives. And it's good for the sport if it plays out. The UCI lost the Vino salary decision because they were wrong. They lost the Pellizotti bio passport case. I don't know a thing about Caucchioli, if he's innocent or the dirtiest rider since the invention of the wheel, but I'm rooting for him at the CAS this month because the UCI needs to be schooled on the facade that's the bio passport system.

So Alberto has some serious dragons to slay. Once the dust settles, if he's still in the sport, he can work to sway the people who still haven't made up their minds one way or another. If he's gone, there's no reason for him to care. But all the good will gestures in the world right now wouldn't hold up to the next inevitable round of mudslinging in the press.

Benotti69 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing - I'd love to see blood values especially for this year..

sniper said:
Answer clearly is no: if he's innocent, then

- why hasn't AC filed charges against the HUMO
- why does AC not speak of the plasticizers in any of his public performances
- what's AC's way of explaining the fact that his initials were on Fuentes' list, especially when Jaksche, a Fuentes customer, has confirmed on television that the initials were Contador's
- why doesn't he ever complain about other doped riders ever

- Why does Sniper post the exact same points in both current AC threads?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
- Why does Sniper post the exact same points in both current AC threads?

I had already posted them in the other thread, then saw this new thread, and thought the arguments fit better into this one. If it bothers you, be my guest and remove the other one.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the Humo article. I figure someone spoke, then realized afterwards they didn't want to be the guy that spills the beans, and have since clammed-up. That happens in life more often than one would think.

Telling AC hasn't done anything about it, at least to get it out in public that it was a "humor piece" or "satire" it that was the case. How hard would that be I mean really? I am sure he can buy them off pretty easy to...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
Wasn't the AC on the Fuentes list Antony Colom?

In addition to hrotha's comment:
If it were Antony Colom and not Alberto, there is no reason why the initials would later be removed from the list of suspects.

Edit: o wait, Colom was also a Spaniard. my bad.

sniper said:
I had already posted them in the other thread, then saw this new thread, and thought the arguments fit better into this one. If it bothers you, be my guest and remove the other one.

Sorry mate, it doesn't bother me. The, tiny bit ridiculous and off-topic, retort just popped into my head as I read the points a second time...

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

It's not his obligation to show his bio-passport to other people then those who have the right to see it.
It's his right to say nothing exept to the people who are investigating his case.

isayic said:
It's not his obligation to show his bio-passport to other people then those who have the right to see it.
It's his right to say nothing exept to the people who are investigating his case.

The OP doesn't ask if he has to, he's asking if there's something he could do which he hasn't already done to prove his point. This is clearly one such thing...

Benotti69 said:

I'm not sure there is very much he can do, given it is the hands of his legal guys.

Anything outside his legal advice won't be becoming, or, at best, what they tell him to say.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
The OP doesn't ask if he has to, he's asking if there's something he could do which he hasn't already done to prove his point. This is clearly one such thing...
no argument here but keep in mind that there is an important distinction - the same thing done for a substantive defence can be worthless or counterproductive when advertised publicly. in fact, when someone's blood values appear in mass media it rarely evokes the reaction it was designed to evoke..more likely people see what they want to see to support their notions, almost regardless of their 'hematological IQ'.

i doubt contador releasing his blood passport for cyclingforums expert analysis is going to meet a different outcome.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Alberto has some leftover blood that he did not use in the Tour from the post-Daphine training timeframe?

If that blood was tested for clen and came up clean - I would think the steak story would be more credible...

Alberto may want to consider that option.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
python said:
no argument here but keep in mind that there is an important distinction - the same thing done for a substantive defence can be worthless or counterproductive when advertised publicly. in fact, when someone's blood values appear in mass media it rarely evokes the reaction it was designed to evoke..more likely people see what they want to see to support their notions, almost regardless of their 'hematological IQ'.

i doubt contador releasing his blood passport for cyclingforums expert analysis is going to meet a different outcome.

er...I agree....completely

This has happened a couple of times recently, my agreement with previous contre temps sparring partners. This place is getting weird. Is it because it's christmas time?

And to whoever said it...it is your right to believe what you want despite any or no evidence, but your opinion should at least consider what is available to truly be defined an "opinion" and not just a "feeling"

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Maybe Alberto has some leftover blood that he did not use in the Tour from the post-Daphine training timeframe?

If that blood was tested for clen and came up clean - I would think the steak story would be more credible...

Alberto may want to consider that option.

HAHA Good one. :D

Benotti69 said:

I suggest the dunking chair.

dunking-a-witch.gif

python said:

Which might easily be the reason nothing has been publicised...

You could easily be innocent, but it doesn't mean your values would underline it - they could easily be "neutral" at best, but probably you'll almost always be able to point at something that looks suspicious.

And no doubt what is actually most important for him right now: The legal case...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hope rides again.

Alberto is doing all he can by riding in the Astana colors at the Saxo training camp. Hope rides again.

At least he isn't hanging round some Pinto bar holding hope in one hand
and ? in the other.

TRENDING THREADS