• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Armstrong about to admit

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Any update on the Sports Illustrated story, or some of the other big announcements that were suggested?

Covers have Monday dates, but when I was a subscriber, my small town Post Office handed them out the Thursday before. I don't know when they make newsstands

theswordsman said:
Any update on the Sports Illustrated story, or some of the other big announcements that were suggested?

Covers have Monday dates, but when I was a subscriber, my small town Post Office handed them out the Thursday before. I don't know when they make newsstands

This should help.....
--
Seven-time Tour de France cycling champion Lance Armstrong has pulled out of next month's multisport festival at Rotorua.

Organisers of the event, to be held on January 29 and 30, were informed by the American's managers yesterday that Armstrong now planned to return to the United States immediately after racing the Tour Down Under in Australia with his Radio Shack team.

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/armstrong-pulls-rotorua-event-3988931

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I have given up hope on the SI article. Some rumors are exactly that....

Dropping out of the triathlon might be a sign of things to come. How long until his TDU appearance is canceled?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
This should help.....
--
Seven-time Tour de France cycling champion Lance Armstrong has pulled out of next month's multisport festival at Rotorua.

Organisers of the event, to be held on January 29 and 30, were informed by the American's managers yesterday that Armstrong now planned to return to the United States immediately after racing the Tour Down Under in Australia with his Radio Shack team.

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/armstrong-pulls-rotorua-event-3988931

Can't wait to tell the locals, "I told you so." One can only guess what the (real) reasons are behind the pull-out.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
SI takes a one week break over the Xmas break.

Much better the article coincides with the TDU* for maximum effect & sales.

NB The swimsuit edition kicks in on Feb 8th.

* Not that I think he'll ride.

And then they're into the Super Bowl runup. It'll probably get pushed before or after those events, wouldn't you think?

Oldman said:
And then they're into the Super Bowl runup. It'll probably get pushed before or after those events, wouldn't you think?

Don't mess with the superbowl.

January is low tide for sports so perfect timing not to conflict with anything else.

(yes Aussies - tennis - cricket - I know - this is the US)

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
washedup said:
Maybe they will give him a TUE in prison for knee pads. Gonna have a lot of "down" time.

Washedup, the mention of prison in your post has me thinking! Previously, have the FEDS completed wide ranging investigations and in the wash up(no pun intended) no person has served time? I am not a US citizen, but thinking: FEDS are a serious law enforcement entity. On completion, they want to nail someone! Maybe just maybe, as the poll suggests, miracle boy escapes with a tarnished image. Meaning one or more of his inner circle are prime targets! just thinking ... cheers

Just so you know, the United States federal conviction rate is quite high, something like 90%+. They usually don't pursue something unless they think they can convict. And they usually go for the biggest fish when they do. Federal sentences also tend to be much stricter, and longer, than on a state or county level.

When you say "FEDS", this can be interpreted in several ways, but yes, the FBI for example is a serious law enforcement entity, more than people realize.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Just so you know, the United States federal conviction rate is quite high, something like 90%+. They usually don't pursue something unless they think they can convict. And they usually go for the biggest fish when they do. Federal sentences also tend to be much stricter, and longer, than on a state or county level.

When you say "FEDS", this can be interpreted in several ways, but yes, the FBI for example is a serious law enforcement entity, more than people realize.

So Alpe, would you guess Lance would be in the 90% or the 10%?

How about in the top 1% of the top 1% grrrrrr.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Man I hope something happens with LA (disgrace, jail, drawn and quartered, etc) 'cause you guys have been working this circle jerk for years and if nothing comes of it, some of you are going to require surgery to relieve the pressure.

9000ft said:
Man I hope something happens with LA (disgrace, jail, drawn and quartered, etc) 'cause you guys have been working this circle jerk for years and if nothing comes of it, some of you are going to require surgery to relieve the pressure.

i'm hardly the biggest "circle-jerker", i rarely address the lance issue, but i think what landis has done has left a permanent stain on armstrong's record. it's really just a matter of how big a stain it will become and whether or not it'll be a "go home stain" ;)

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
9000ft said:

That is because we were "working this circle jerk" amongst a small group of elite - and confirmed - like-minded free thinkers; myself included. And look what has happened as a result of this . . . the Feds have seen the light too and have entered our exclusive circle jerk to broaden its scope.

The difference now is that they (i.e., the Feds) can jerk LA's pony a lot harder and faster than any of us could, individually or collectively, and it appears that they are going to apply enough pressure to bring this fraud to a massive head so that the entire situation will cum to a beautiful ending in the near future.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
sartain said:
That is because we were "working this circle jerk" amongst a small group of elite - and confirmed - like-minded free thinkers; myself included. And look what has happened as a result of this . . . the Feds have seen the light too....

Dude, please, the FEDS did not become involved because of the elite free thinking handbaggers in the CN Forum for crying out loud.

Novitsky became involved when a Rock Racing rider out on a training ride cut him off on his way into work and flipped him the anarchy sign. "Damn cyclist, get on the sidewalk"

But Novitsky is going to have a tough time keeping his eye on the ball...
May strike out with the upcoming Barry Bonds Trial...
And the FDA is now in the crosshairs for additional OVERSIGHT:

Dr. Hamburg and Dr. Sharfstein can expect to spend countless more days preparing for and testifying at oversight hearings. Their involvement is the tip of the iceberg, with staff at every level being pulled from other work to respond to Congress. Some key staff that were able to focus on big picture issues this year…are likely to be in "damage control" mode most of next year.

FDA’s competence will be questioned publicly, then magnified by the media. FDA has a lot of problems. Oversight can contribute to improvements. However, any loss of public confidence in FDA is a serious barrier to the agency doing its job better.

This may also lead to questions about whether the agency should receive more monies
http://www.fdamatters.com/?p=1179

Polish said:
Dude, please, the FEDS did not become involved because of the elite free thinking handbaggers in the CN Forum for crying out loud.

Novitsky became involved when a Rock Racing rider out on a training ride cut him off on his way into work and flipped him the anarchy sign. "Damn cyclist, get on the sidewalk"

But Novitsky is going to have a tough time keeping his eye on the ball...
May strike out with the upcoming Barry Bonds Trial...
And the FDA is now in the crosshairs for additional OVERSIGHT:

http://www.fdamatters.com/?p=1179

Sartains version seems at least as plausible as yours.
I think Novitsky will be able to battle through all the distractions.
Did you even read anything in the link that you posted other than the part you quoted?
# This is not a good budget environment for FDA or any federal agency with growing responsibilities.
# If deficit reduction is based on evaluating each agency and program and identifying national priorities, then the case for increased FDA funding is very strong.
#
If deficit reduction is accomplished by "across the board" cuts, then FDA may still be treated as an exception. However, it will be far more difficult to make the case for FDA as a budget-cutting exception
These are the guys at FDA who focus on making sure they get their share of the pie. So that Novitsky and his guys can focus on Armstrong (or whomever is in their crosshairs). Your Lancy-poo will not be saved by the FDA running out of money.

TRENDING THREADS