• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Boonen past his prime?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Come to think about it, Specialized might be willing to sweeten the deal to get Boonen to Saxo Bank, like how they did with Contador. They did a lot as far as making their bikes to suit him, I believe the Tarmac SL2 was designed just for him. Plus they seemed to market him well, even with his nose issues.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Lanark said:
I would definitely say he is past his prime, look at his CQ results:

graphRiderHistory.asp

I don't think he'll ever reach his 2005/2006 shape again.
He finished both those years as number 1 of the CQ-ranking, now he isn't in the top-100. He can still win classics (and probably will), but he isn't the force of nature he used to be.

Correct. That was his prime and he won't get to that level again. He is still better than most other riders of his type though so he will achieve more wins.

What he needs right now is a change of teams and fresh motivation, he could kick on for another 4-5 years or so. I have read somewhere though that he doesn't plan on sticking around a long time so maybe retirement is an option?

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting.....personally I think Tornado Tom is done if he stays with Lefevre and QS, he needs something new and much as many have said I think he needs to be at Saxo. I don't think BMC would be right he needs a European team (yes I know he was at UPS)

Riis maybe unpopular with many people but he does get things right, even after the desertions last season he still puts someone out there in a position to win de Ronde and if Baden Cooke hadn't broken a cleat at the wrong time in PR who knows what would have happened on Sunday.

This is the kind of tutelage that Tom needs and if he doesn't I honestly think he's done, how much of Sunday was about his motivation once he had his mechanical in Arenberg?? Move now or it'll be thanks for the memories.

TRENDING THREADS