• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Boonen past his prime?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
Maybe so. But this year he hasn't even looked like the clear second best rider.

In the 2010 Paris Roubaix, no-one would co-operate with Boonen and Cancellara rode off into the sunset. This year it's not really been an issue. Boonen's gone from major threat to just another contender in one year.

Yes, but that's just because he had bad luck at P-R. If he rode in P-R like he did in Flanders I would agree, but who knows now?

We'll have to wait for the Worlds to pass a judgement. Think the Belgian team will be incredibly strong there with puncheurs like Phil and Greg and a good sprinter like Boonen who can sit in a seat while the other countries have to waste their strength chasing them down.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
cobblehead said:
just a simple remark:
this year Cancellara finished second in MSR, second in the ronde and Second in PR and for this he was praised (as he should be for entertaining us cyclingfans with his show of strength)

Last year Boonen finished second in MSR, second in the ronde en fifth in PR and got panned for that in the Belgian press with people questioning whether he was still on top of his game

just to show that (certainly in Belgium) people aren't realistic in their expectations.

you have to be realistic, Boonen no longer participates in sprints (hence him winning a lot less races) and is a lot more picky about the races he really wants to be in good form (compared tot five years ago with him racing to win everything), if you combine that with the fact that the competition in his races is a lot fiercer nowadays with a lot more good riders wanting to win in these races it might look like he's past his prime while, for me, this is definitly not the case.

I expect him to win both the ronde and PR at least once in the future, last year Cancellara had a superyear (like boonen in 2005) but i believe that Cancellara would have had a hell of a job losing boonen on the pavé this year (although I think cancellara would rather have had boonen with him than hushovd and ballan)

about this season: fact is that Boonen won Gent-Wevelgem, finished as fourth in the ronde and had a PR marred by bad luck.

that's a result a lot of other "big guns" in the peleton would probably settle for...

+1

it all comes down to unreasonable expectations.

look at how people and media handle hincapie and flecha. they are still regarded as dangerous contenders on cobbles.

cobblehead said:
just a simple remark:
this year Cancellara finished second in MSR, second in the ronde and Second in PR and for this he was praised (as he should be for entertaining us cyclingfans with his show of strength)

Last year Boonen finished second in MSR, second in the ronde en fifth in PR and got panned for that in the Belgian press with people questioning whether he was still on top of his game

just to show that (certainly in Belgium) people aren't realistic in their expectations.

you have to be realistic, Boonen no longer participates in sprints (hence him winning a lot less races) and is a lot more picky about the races he really wants to be in good form (compared tot five years ago with him racing to win everything), if you combine that with the fact that the competition in his races is a lot fiercer nowadays with a lot more good riders wanting to win in these races it might look like he's past his prime while, for me, this is definitly not the case.

I expect him to win both the ronde and PR at least once in the future, last year Cancellara had a superyear (like boonen in 2005) but i believe that Cancellara would have had a hell of a job losing boonen on the pavé this year (although I think cancellara would rather have had boonen with him than hushovd and ballan)

about this season: fact is that Boonen won Gent-Wevelgem, finished as fourth in the ronde and had a PR marred by bad luck.

that's a result a lot of other "big guns" in the peleton would probably settle for...

+1 Excellent post.

I think it bears mentioning that, even though he wasn't on top form in Flanders, Boonen was still able to leave the chase at the end with Flecha, and then almost bridge to the Cancellara group for the sprint. Without Cancellara, Boonen would likely have won Flanders in 2010 and 11 and Roubaix in 2010. (Though Chava may have won Flanders in 11.)

As has been noted, Cancellara opened the sprint for Flanders too early b/c he knew that if Boonen bridged, he wouldn't have a chance at the win. It was not a spitfeful move by C; rather, it was an acknowledgement of Boonen's strength.

In Roubaix, Boonen had a mechanical that disabled his bike at the worst possible moment in cycling to have to stop. He then got caught in a crash while chasing. I don't think this is a sign of being past his prime.

And finally, results from 2009's Paris-Roubaix:

49 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank +6.48

This was without mechanicals or any mishap. Cancellara simply couldn't keep the pace, but it obviosuly wasn't an indication that Canc was past his prime.

Boonen's not done yet, and his team is plenty strong to support him properly. He's actually had a pretty good year (again), despite crashes, illness, and unfortunate mechanicals. He'll be a top favorite for these races again next year.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Boonen needs a Riis as his DS... He's totally unmotivated...
Reading weeks ago what Lefevere said about Boonen ("If Tom wants to keep his economical status He should get more results soon") that make me think that Tommeke is riding for the money?
Seriously... He needs Riis :D

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
He didn't puncture, he dropped his chain. The bike was unrideable. That's bad luck/poor set up the QS mechanics.

Makes the premise for this discussion irrelevant. And he certainly doesn't need to prove anything to you.

Maybe Toemke and Schleck jr.needs to be more fincky about his equipment like Merckx and Armstrong/LeMond were. Never saw those guys having mechanicals

Ryaguas said:
Boonen needs a Riis as his DS... He's totally unmotivated...
Reading weeks ago what Lefevere said about Boonen ("If Tom wants to keep his economical status He should get more results soon") that make me think that Tommeke is riding for the money?
Seriously... He needs Riis :D

Agreed. I think a change in scenery would do him a lot of good.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
he was better than ever last year but only there was cancellara. boonen hasn't been as good this year but could be anything why that is. if mentally ok he will be as strong again as he was last year

Rather agree with Flicker on this.

I know some QS fans who say with gritting teeth that Boonen's spring session was dark and that an in-form rider should avoid crashes and all.

Whether it be punctures, chain defect or swallowing a fly ...

There are signs that don't lie. On the semi classics, Boonen used to attack on a climb such as the Taaienberg to test his form. He hasn't done it this year.

And he was not "involved" in a crash, he provoked it.

Crying about bad luck is too easy. Just an excuse but we're used to it with Boonen. When he won in 2009, I was the first to say that his opponents had no excuse. They crashed because there were no longer fresh, or put under pressure (Hushovd's case).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
Rather agree with Flicker on this.

I know some QS fans who say with gritting teeth that Boonen's spring session was dark and that an in-form rider should avoid crashes and all.

Whether it be punctures, chain defect or swallowing a fly ...

There are signs that don't lie. On the semi classics, Boonen used to attack on a climb such as the Taaienberg to test his form. He hasn't done it this year.

And he was not "involved" in a crash, he provoked it.

Crying about bad luck is too easy. Just an excuse but we're used to it with Boonen. When he won in 2009, I was the first to say that his opponents had no excuse. They crashed because there were no longer fresh, or put under pressure (Hushovd's case).

He did in the Omloop.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Is it confirmed that the incident at Arenberg was a puncture, I thought it was some other mechanical, seeing as he did tell his team-mates to ride on and declined their wheels.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Boonen has been heavily marked in recent years so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Look at Canc how heavily marked he was this year and what he won. Maybe, if you are extremely strong it won't matter and not heavily marked but it is very hard to be that strong and unmarked. If you can't dictate the race with teammates, your going to end up doing a lot of work for at best just a podium spot.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Is it confirmed that the incident at Arenberg was a puncture, I thought it was some other mechanical, seeing as he did tell his team-mates to ride on and declined their wheels.
Indeed, no puncture.
You could hear him say "it's my bike that is broken" to his teammates.

flicker said:
Maybe Toemke and Schleck jr.needs to be more fincky about his equipment like Merckx and Armstrong/LeMond were. Never saw those guys having mechanicals

His luck just ran out after years of being blessed. I'm sure if he had personally closely inspected his rig before the start he wouldn't have been on the side watching the race pass him by.:rolleyes:

I do recall the commentators stating that his chain was jammed and he was in need of a bike change not a wheel change as many here are insisting was the case.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
His luck just ran out after years of being blessed. I'm sure if he had personally closely inspected his rig before the start he wouldn't have been on the side watching the race pass him by.:rolleyes:

I do recall the commentators stating that his chain was jammed and he was in need of a bike change not a wheel change as many here are insisting was the case.

Never let the facts get in the way of good story, eh?

When it comes to yesterday's race, Boonen had nine years of bad luck come back and bite him on the backside. Fatigue had minimal impact on his performance.

As for being past it, again I don't agree. His form has been just fine. Just no wins. imo, he still has what it takes to win PR if Cancellara doesn't have his form.

Ryo Hazuki said:
he was better than ever last year but only there was cancellara. boonen hasn't been as good this year but could be anything why that is. if mentally ok he will be as strong again as he was last year

Reading the current Cycle Sport (May 2011) interview with him made me a bit concerned about his mental state. I think his two crashes last May might have really hurt his confidence/mentality.

Last year he was looking extremely strong, but Cancellara was simply stronger. I thought he was clearly the second best rider in 2010 RvV and PR. He and Cancellara were heads and shoulders above everybody else.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Andre.J said:
Boonen is still as strong as ever. Without the bad luck, he takes second in P-R.
Do you mean 2nd behind van summeran? Because I think if boonen hadn't had the disaster in the forest and then crashed :S then the big favourites would have caught the guys up ahead and boonen would have had a great chance at the win.

I thought boonen has been looking pretty good this year he did win the ghent wevelgem. In my opinion he still has a few years left to win the paris roubaix. I would say he is certainly past his prime but when he was in his prime he won the paris roubaix, tour of flanders and the world championship :S so that doesn't mean he is a bad rider because he isn't as good as he was. I hope he can manage to win the milan san remo before he retires too.

Does anyone know boonens plans for the rest of the season? i hope he has a good one.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
I was thinking of what De Vlaeminck used to say about punctures and crashes:

"Punctures and crashes are not bad luck, it's a matter of lucidity. I never punctured in my best years but I did in 1979 and then in the two next edition, because I was less good."

This sounds A LOT like Armstrong 2010 ... did De Vlaeminck say this about him or about Boonen?

mr. tibbs said:
And finally, results from 2009's Paris-Roubaix:

49 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank +6.48

This was without mechanicals or any mishap. Cancellara simply couldn't keep the pace, but it obviosuly wasn't an indication that Canc was past his prime.
In fairness, wasn't that the year Canc had been injured or sick, hadn't participated in a single one-day race before RVV and Roubaix, and wasn't really expected to do anything?
mr. tibbs said:
Boonen's not done yet, and his team is plenty strong to support him properly. He's actually had a pretty good year (again), despite crashes, illness, and unfortunate mechanicals. He'll be a top favorite for these races again next year.
Totally agree with this. I do think he is hurt by the fact that he used to have far and away the best cobbled classics squad and now there are a few teams that are at or above QS's level.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Echoes said:
When I saw him dismounting in the Arenberg Forest after a puncture (which never occurred to him in his best years), I was thinking of what De Vlaeminck used to say about punctures and crashes:

"Punctures and crashes are not bad luck, it's a matter of lucidity. I never punctured in my best years but I did in 1979 and then in the two next edition, because I was less good."

He exagerates a bit of course. Luck is always a factor in any race, whatsoever. However, there sure is truth in what he says.

In order to avoid puncture you've gotta avoid ruts and all the race's traps. Also if you're riding in front, you'll avoid mishaps more easily. So said Merckx after his win in 1973 while he was very angry after his crash in 1972.

I don't think Boonen was in the mood to win this Paris-Roubaix. He's never been at his best in this first part of this season (even in Wevelgem, he was **** on the climbs). His puncture might be an indication. It's his to show me I was wrong, now. ;)

De Vlaeminck is a strange man though with a poor memory because he punctured in 1970 too. But in the doco "De Flandriens" on Canvas, there was an interview of him from 1975 and at that time he remembered his puncture from 5 years before and he claimed it was his mistake.

His chain got stuck and jammed and a bit later his drinking thing jumped out of his holder and broke his back wheel.

Just horrible luck.

A

Anonymous

Buffalo Soldier said:
Indeed, no puncture.
You could hear him say "it's my bike that is broken" to his teammates.
I am not sure what is broken, but it isn't chain suck like he said yesterday. If that's chain suck, then I ride around on chain suck all the time...I guess chain suck is also known as "the big ring???!!!" Nothing appears to be wrong with his chain front or back.

200-RTR2L23D.jpg

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What happened to him yesterday could have happened to anybody. It must have been a drag for him to have that kind of luck yesterday. But as for him being past his prime, not at all.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I am not sure what is broken, but it isn't chain suck like he said yesterday. If that's chain suck, then I ride around on chain suck all the time...I guess chain suck is also known as "the big ring???!!!" Nothing appears to be wrong with his chain front or back.

200-RTR2L23D.jpg

If you blow the photo up, it appears that the chain is jammed between the big ring and the small ring? Chain goes up to the derailleur but is jammed between rings on the front and bottom? Someone with better photoshop skills than me may see it differently?