Is Cadel Evans destined to be the "lonely rider"?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
571
0
0
I seem to remember something that Evans said he was really ****ed when Horner left Lotto, and it was only over small amount of money

IMO being invited to the TdF this year is bad for BMC and Evans. If they just had the Giro they would have sent a much stronger team and Evans would have had a real shot at it, now the team is split AND depleted so you may as well write off both the Giro and the Tour of Cali, yet he will be peaking too early for TdF, so that can be written of as well.
THe Giro alone would have been a good place to use the stars and introduce the young "promising" riders to a GT before 2011 TdF
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,394
0
0
Notso Swift said:
IMO being invited to the TdF this year is bad for BMC and Evans. If they just had the Giro they would have sent a much stronger team and Evans would have had a real shot at it, now the team is split AND depleted so you may as well write off both the Giro and the Tour of Cali, yet he will be peaking too early for TdF, so that can be written of as well.
THe Giro alone would have been a good place to use the stars and introduce the young "promising" riders to a GT before 2011 TdF
I would have to disagree with this. Not so much on the Evans front - although I think he'll win the Giro and it will almost complete his palmares. He's also, more than anyone, capable of doing two GTs as he tends to trundle along at the same pace all year round.

As for BMC, this year is a stepping stone to the big time. Next year automatic invites aren't down to Pro-Tour agreements but down to the top 17 on the World rankings. This is BMC target for the season and they are, more than anyone, are playing this system - they really only race harding in ranking races, and in Cadel they've recruited one of the best accumultor of points. At the end of the season, when they're guaranteed entry into every event, they can recruit bigger riders. Even if they flop in the Tour, they'll most likely pick up points, while the likes of Saur of Vacansoleil won't.
 
Jul 26, 2009
364
0
0
first i want to say a huge congrats cadel, fleche was a super win, i really thought berto had it in the bag.........

but sorry man you wont win the giro, cadel you just dont have the team,again.
it just seems to follow him around, and thats what he will do at the giro.
i dont dislike him , just giving his bmc team a hard look is all
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
luckyboy said:
There were rumours about him going to Garmin when it was announced he was leaving Lotto. I'd be regretting not going there tbh.
Matthew White is at Garmin. Correct me if I am wrong. He is Australian. I may have the wrong name, but there is an Aussie Director at the team. Sky were also one name on the rumour mill last year. Other Aussies there who left CSC to go to Cervelo and then lasted a year. Forget the guys name but not his face. Smart man. The common denominator mentioned was their attitude towards Evans. They don't like him. Mainly, Evans attitude and ability to settle within a team.

I have had a strong impression for some time other Aussies within the sport think he is a pain in the **** and since there are other capable riders available, those options are better because it removes part of the drama of running a 20 plus squad. In short, Cadel comes across as not being as laid back as other Aussies are. You know, the whining part and excuses. If he is not on the team for some people running the show, their job is made easier.

In short. They don't want Evans and all his issues. Too much of a hassle. Obviously BMC didn't mind and neither did Cadel, so all is nice and dandy if you ignore the teams drug issues of late.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Galic Ho said:
Matthew White is at Garmin. Correct me if I am wrong. He is Australian. I may have the wrong name, but there is an Aussie Director at the team. Sky were also one name on the rumour mill last year. Other Aussies there who left CSC to go to Cervelo and then lasted a year. Forget the guys name but not his face. Smart man. The common denominator mentioned was their attitude towards Evans. They don't like him. Mainly, Evans attitude and ability to settle within a team.

I have had a strong impression for some time other Aussies within the sport think he is a pain in the **** and since there are other capable riders available, those options are better because it removes part of the drama of running a 20 plus squad. In short, Cadel comes across as not being as laid back as other Aussies are. You know, the whining part and excuses. If he is not on the team for some people running the show, their job is made easier.

In short. They don't want Evans and all his issues. Too much of a hassle. Obviously BMC didn't mind and neither did Cadel, so all is nice and dandy if you ignore the teams drug issues of late.
Some times you need to learn to shut your trap as it shows how little you know about particular riders and issues.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
David Suro said:
If Evans has no great support in the mountains to be a GC contender (and it appears he doesn't) then he could animate the race in the stages that have been largely unanimated for the past decade.

Watching the Tour has become a matter of:

Prologue - check out the new TT gear and see the riders

Flat Stages - lots of boring hours with exciting sprint finishes

Mountains - watch GC contenders and their teams control things until the ultimate climb, then see who summits the best

TT's - watch to see which contender that can climb can also put in a great performance

I hope this year will be a little different. Watching a 'dark hourse' contender attack on the first climb of a mountain stage and try to stay away would be cool. Watching a 'dark hourse' make the flat stages miserable for the other contenders would also be cool.

Who knows? Evans is in a place to do either of these things and truly make the race intereseting in areas where it has been a matter of 'riders logging miles' for the past decade or so.

Do they still have the 'most combative' classification? If so, that's a jersey worth going for!
That sounds like the marketing pitch BMC sold the RCS and ASO. It is a load of crap.I doubt it will ever happen. Evans animate the race in all those areas, let alone one! Funny dude, funny. Evans will never be allowed to get into a breakaway simply because if he gets a minute or two another GC rider will be demoted. Contador and Schleck can make that time back but the rest cannot. Evans will be marked. He knows this. The other GC riders know they are in the same predicament. When was the last time you saw Evans make a move in the hills on other GC riders in a GT and make it stick? I'm yet to see it. This year could be that year. Maybe he will win a stage, but that will be it and it will only be an ITT (highly unlikely) or on a hilly stage against other GC riders.

Evans is just a contender for GC whose name is mentioned in the finishing touches of the stages affecting GC places. He is yet to be the guy who animates. That person has historically been the man who beat him and Spanish at that. This year won't change anything.
 
seem to remember evans trying to "light-up" a stage in the TdF last year before the supposed strong-man of cycling cancellara told him "please, mr evans, drop off our breakaway, or the big boys will come and get us". im not a big fan of evans but i do think some of these ideas are harder than some of the posts are making them sound.
 
May 15, 2009
550
1
0
Highlander said:
Both Popo and Horner were/are big support riders for other squads, but never did much when they were expected to help Evans get up the mountains.
I am sure you don't know a thing about Horner. He was fantastic when working for Cadel in 2006 and 2007. When he left, problems started to appear.
 
Cadel Evans

Evan's is no dummy. He knows he will never win a popularity contest. His personality did not stop him winning a World Road Title and the Fleche. Does he care about the commentary about his personality ? I doubt it.

The team time trial stage in the Giro will not favour him but if he follows wheels on the mountain stages and rides well in the time trials he should be able to finish on the podium. It's hardly a quality field in this year's Giro. You can hardly blame Evans for joining teams with the best intentions and then constantly having quality riders, (team mates) disappear due to doping.

I think he's coped quite well, all things considered
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
movingtarget said:
Evan's is no dummy. He knows he will never win a popularity contest. His personality did not stop him winning a World Road Title and the Fleche. Does he care about the commentary about his personality ? I doubt it.

The team time trial stage in the Giro will not favour him but if he follows wheels on the mountain stages and rides well in the time trials he should be able to finish on the podium. It's hardly a quality field in this year's Giro. You can hardly blame Evans for joining teams with the best intentions and then constantly having quality riders, (team mates) disappear due to doping.

I think he's coped quite well, all things considered
i think he used to care too much of what the papers and media said about him.
 
Apr 16, 2009
394
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Some times you need to learn to shut your trap as it shows how little you know about particular riders and issues.
Substitute "any" for "particular" and you would be more accurate in your assessment of Galic Ho.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY