• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Cadel the first RR champion?

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Cadel has surprised and delighted me. I am not a fan of his style of riding, however he has shown that has got it and is now world champion. Which brings me to the point of this post. As I remember, an Australian by the name of Jack Hoobin won the world road race championship in about 1951. Or thereabouts. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Redned said:
Cadel has surprised and delighted me. I am not a fan of his style of riding, however he has shown that has got it and is now world champion. Which brings me to the point of this post. As I remember, an Australian by the name of Jack Hoobin won the world road race championship in about 1951. Or thereabouts. Can anyone shed more light on this?

It wouldn't be in the elite category but it could be in the U23

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Jack Hoobin, Amateur World Road Race champion 1950

I think the distinction has to be drawn that it was the Amateur worlds that Jack Hoobin won, much closer in status to the current U-23 race than the elite RR. This was in the day of the very strict interpretation of "Amateur", all he would have had to do is accept a five quid prize once in his life and he wouldn't have been eligible.

Still to race and win in Belgium while not being able to accept prize money or sponsorship dollars shows quite a bucketload of dedication.

If anyone knows more about Hoobin I'd be curious to hear. I know he raced at the Olympics in '48 and I believe he raced against Mockbridge and Patterson but I don't actually know any more than that.

auscyclefan94 said:
What did you think of the RR Susan?

I hope you don'gt mean what did I think of the 1950 race, because I am not quite that old.

I thought the final few laps of the race on Sunday were the best racing of the whole Worlds. Very exciting to see which groups formed, with all the top names there, all challenging one another. And then seeing who had the best legs in the end...... Excellent racing.

Susan

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I hope you don'gt mean what did I think of the 1950 race, because I am not quite that old.

I thought the final few laps of the race on Sunday were the best racing of the whole Worlds. Very exciting to see which groups formed, with all the top names there, all challenging one another. And then seeing who had the best legs in the end...... Excellent racing.

Susan

Glad you liked it. I meant this years worlds:). You don't seem old!
Glad you have got the quoting right now!:D

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hoobin must have turned Pro straight away because my father saw him race in Yarrawonga, Victoria in a pro road race and he caused a stir by wearing the world champ colours and refusing to wear a number. The local pros didn't much like him and I think he only rode a few more years. There is a rare book by Max Rowley who was a top line domestic pro at the time that has a fair bit about Jack Hoobin racing in the Tour of the West in NSW against the Rowley brothers.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
I think the distinction has to be drawn that it was the Amateur worlds that Jack Hoobin won, much closer in status to the current U-23 race than the elite RR. This was in the day of the very strict interpretation of "Amateur", all he would have had to do is accept a five quid prize once in his life and he wouldn't have been eligible.

Still to race and win in Belgium while not being able to accept prize money or sponsorship dollars shows quite a bucketload of dedication.

If anyone knows more about Hoobin I'd be curious to hear. I know he raced at the Olympics in '48 and I believe he raced against Mockbridge and Patterson but I don't actually know any more than that.
from http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/memories-remin-howard.html

One race we watched c1950 was won by an Australian, Jack Hoobin, he was riding a borrowed bike using a single free wheel !! The same, or following year he won the Amateur World title, again I believe on a single-speed machine. Jack Hoobin apparently became a well known political figure in Australia and, so I was told by a Museum in Australia, was due to open the Olympic Games in Sydney but passed away shortly before the ceremony, I have an idea his wife did the opening instead. He must have been quite a character.

TRENDING THREADS