• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is CyclingNews hacked? fake Flashplayer update 2

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey CyclingNews!!!!!

I'm posting this on the busiest forum because it's important.

CyclingNews is the only site where this happens to me, and it happened again. A HIJACK FOR A FAKE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER REMOVED ME FROM YOUR SITE AND PUT ME WHERE THE SCREEN CAPTURE BELOW INDICATES.

I DID NOT TAKE THE BAIT, BUT THE HIJACK WAS IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT, ALL I DID WAS VISIT CyclingNews.com AND A FEW SECONDS LATER YOUR WEBSITE WAS HIJACKED.

"a h c h u y e y a n z h e . c o m" IS NOT ADOBE DOT COM

YOU OR ONE OF YOUR ADVERTISERS HAS BEEN HACKED

THIS HAPPENED A FEW MONTHS AGO AND I TOLD YOU ABOUT IT, BEING THE GOOD CITIZEN I AM.

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN TO BE A GOOD CoRpOrAtE CITIZEN : FIX IT AND DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!

THERE ARE OTHER BIKE RACING NEWS OUTLETS, IT'S CALLED COMPETITION, CRASHES LOSE RACES - THIS IS A CRASH.

Untitled4sm.png

daddy-o said:
Hey CyclingNews!!!!!

I'm posting this on the busiest forum because it's important.

CyclingNews is the only site where this happens to me, and it happened again. A HIJACK FOR A FAKE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER REMOVED ME FROM YOUR SITE AND PUT ME WHERE THE SCREEN CAPTURE BELOW INDICATES.

I DID NOT TAKE THE BAIT, BUT THE HIJACK WAS IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT, ALL I DID WAS VISIT CyclingNews.com AND A FEW SECONDS LATER YOUR WEBSITE WAS HIJACKED.

"a h c h u y e y a n z h e . c o m" IS NOT ADOBE DOT COM

YOU OR ONE OF YOUR ADVERTISERS HAS BEEN HACKED

THIS HAPPENED A FEW MONTHS AGO AND I TOLD YOU ABOUT IT, BEING THE GOOD CITIZEN I AM.

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN TO BE A GOOD CoRpOrAtE CITIZEN : FIX IT AND DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!

THERE ARE OTHER BIKE RACING NEWS OUTLETS, IT'S CALLED COMPETITION, CRASHES LOSE RACES - THIS IS A CRASH.

Untitled4sm.png

What version of Flash were you on when you saw this redirect that I have never ever seen?

What old version of Firefox is that?

What extensions and addons do you have installed?

What anti malware did you use on your machines prior to visiting this site?

I am not affiliated with cyclingnews in any way but Im pretty sure if youre doing your banking on that computer as your bookmarks imply you might want to change all your passwords ASAP and consider patching your stuff and getting off firefox for like 100 reasons 50 of which are security related.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Firefox has security problems other browsers don't? News to me (but it's slow as *** and I'd have switched to chrome by now if I weren't so change averse)

At any rate, OP should consider that his browser and computer has been compromised by malware.

SeriousSam said:
Firefox has security problems other browsers don't? News to me (but it's slow as **** and I'd have switched to chrome by now if I weren't so change averse)

At any rate, OP should consider that his browser and computer has been compromised by malware.
It doesnt even qualify for hacking contests like PWN2OWN anymore because they dont do anything to fix known problems and in 2014 at p2o they discovered 4 zero-day vulnerabilities (zero day means the vendor has no clue the vulnerability even exists)

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
daddy-o said:
Hey CyclingNews!!!!!

I'm posting this ....

What version of Flash were you on when you saw this redirect that I have never ever seen?

What old version of Firefox is that?

What extensions and addons do you have installed?

What anti malware did you use on your machines prior to visiting this site?

I am not affiliated with cyclingnews in any way but Im pretty sure if youre doing your banking on that computer as your bookmarks imply you might want to change all your passwords ASAP and consider patching your stuff and getting off firefox for like 100 reasons 50 of which are security related.

Flash: 21.0.0.242 Up to date
Firefox: 46.0.1 Up to date
Addons: Eight, that I researched before putting them on and double checked before I posted
Antimalware: MSE and a May 19/20 Kaspersky bootable scanner, both came up clean
I'm also a stickler for local and network rights management

Thanks for the tips. I run a pretty tight ship because I sail dangerous waters. CyclingNews is the only site I visit where I expect no problems but problems occur. It happened again today. One of their advertisers is broken. (And considering the number of advertisers, and the poor performance of the advertisements it's no surprise. I mean: seriously, this site dogs even with a flash blocker - and that helped tremendously. Flash is so easy to program poorly.) The thing wants to write to my temp/tmp dir but it can't, for one because it's redirected and it's reading my browser wrong. But I'm not going to say I'm immune because "past performance doesn't imply future... immunity."

Firefox is a perfectly good browser for what I use it for. Chrome is good for what I use chrome for. IE is great for what I use IE for (not much!) They all have their places.

Thanks again, for the replies.

TRENDING THREADS