• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Evans going to the Giro next year?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
The sponsors would never allow him to go after the Giro/Vuelta double next year.
I think that one is out of the question.
I doubt he himself would attempt to win the Giro next year, as he probably believes he can defend his TdF title (rightly so).
2013 he should/probably will go for the Giro. Will he still have enough to win it, I don't know.
Sure would make his palmares even more impressive.

C'mon guys, no way is Cadel not going to try to defend his title next year. Let's be real here. All I can say is that he was on when he needed to be and all the stars aligned in his favor. Can't see him winning it next year though if there is a full-strength Contador racing. If Contador can't race, then I'd say he has a decent chance, if he is on the ball again. Samu and Nibz/Basso would be good challenges for him though. Consistency will win it and hopefully no stupid crash rules will lose it(again).

To be totally honest, I really really WISH he would do the Giro ... but I dont think he will.

If he were to give it a really good shot, he could do the Giro, have an honest go at the Olympic TT and then do the Vuelta.

He would have a pretty good chance at finishing his career with all 3 grand tours, world championship, a few classics, a number of important one week stage races and an olympic medal.

Would be fantastic.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Evans was lucky, Evans won't win again, Evans has no chance against Contador, all the stars aligned for Evans to win, ........
Now where did I hear that before? That's right, it was all over the forums before last years Tour.
And what happened? CADEL EVANS BEAT THEM ALL!
Why can't he win next year?
Contador (if justice prevails) will be suspended and he beat Andy on a couse that suited him to a tee. Andy didn't crash and had better team suport in the mountains than Cadel, and he still beat him.
As for the Giro, expect him to do it in 2013, but no way will he ride it in 2012. Next year is all about successfully defending his TDF crown and I think he is a big chance of doing it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
If Bertie can't do the Giro-Tour double Evans certainly can't. I hope he realizes this himself.
I've always thought that is the case. Many tipped AC to win this year which Timmy and I said was not going to happen.
Woody22 said:
Evans was lucky, Evans won't win again, Evans has no chance against Contador, all the stars aligned for Evans to win, ........
Now where did I hear that before? That's right, it was all over the forums before last years Tour.
And what happened? CADEL EVANS BEAT THEM ALL!
Why can't he win next year?
Contador (if justice prevails) will be suspended and he beat Andy on a couse that suited him to a tee. Andy didn't crash and had better team suport in the mountains than Cadel, and he still beat him.
As for the Giro, expect him to do it in 2013, but no way will he ride it in 2012. Next year is all about successfully defending his TDF crown and I think he is a big chance of doing it.

+1 - Hopefully justice will prevail and Contador will be put away. With Bertie riding it will be quite hard. I have confidence that he can beat anyone else in that field.

BMC tour line up next year will include Gilbert and Hushovd who will have their own ambitions. Could Evans realistically expect the full support of the entire team next year?
I think he'd be better off going for the Giro and having the full 9 riders supporting him instead of only a few supporting him at the Tour.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
IMO he should try the Giro - Vuelta double, the triple crown is reachable just for a few riders in history, a couple of TDF is "nothing" in history.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
The sponsors would never allow him to go after the Giro/Vuelta double next year.
I think that one is out of the question.
I doubt he himself would attempt to win the Giro next year, as he probably believes he can defend his TdF title (rightly so).
2013 he should/probably will go for the Giro. Will he still have enough to win it, I don't know.
Sure would make his palmares even more impressive.

Next year BMC will have to bet set different and Both Thor and Phil have said they will ride for support of Evans and To help Evans will have to get in breaks or go for wins.

Defending Tour champ will defend then 2013 Would be great to see Evans ride the Giro-Vuelta and I would like to see him ride Flanders and MSR as well just to see how he goes.

Ferminal said:
Why would T-A not be on his program? He has to start his season somewhere, and given how strong he has been the last two seasons why change a winning program? Perhaps the more important question is will he skip the Ardennes week.

As defending champion he has to give himself the best chance of winning the 2012 Tour, so that definitely rules out the Giro. But if he's still competitive in 13/14 then maybe he can try the Giro. Given that he wasn't far from winning it in either attempts so far it's understandable if he wants to finish the job (now that he's got the GT monkey off his back).

Evans has already said in interviews that he will be back at the Tour in 2012 to defend his title but also said that he would return to the Giro one day. My bet would be the 2013 Giro. He also said that he would probably stick to the same racing program as 2011 which worked out so well for him. I think he will ride the Fleche and Liege as he only missed those through injury. He also said the World's course is an interesting one in 2012 so he might add the Worlds, and the Tour of Lombardy to his schedule as that has always been one of his favourite races. The real query is whether he will ride the Vuelta as well and give the Colorado Tour a miss. He rode the Vuelta before winning the Worlds in 2009. We will see.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
I think Evans is hoping that everyone crashes out of next year's Tour just like this year's. Why try for something you have a legitimate chance of winning like the Giro when you can gamble on a one in twenty shot at the Tour.
Ya, hopefully Chris Horner stays upright next time.

Archibald said:
BMC tour line up next year will include Gilbert and Hushovd who will have their own ambitions. Could Evans realistically expect the full support of the entire team next year?
I think he'd be better off going for the Giro and having the full 9 riders supporting him instead of only a few supporting him at the Tour.

I'm sure Cadel said something about Hushovd not riding the Tour. Also those two would just be left to their own devices, Cadel would still have 6 riders to help him.

luckyboy said:
Also those two would just be left to their own devices, Cadel would still have 6 riders to help him.

Cadel's team would have to ride on the front anyways at the whole TDF up until he maybe loses time. That would be practically the same as OPL chasing/ putting the hammer down setting up the stage wins for Gilbert. They just have 2 less men chasing.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I'm sure Cadel said something about Hushovd not riding the Tour. Also those two would just be left to their own devices, Cadel would still have 6 riders to help him.

First stages are in the Ardennes, Gilbert-stages, I'm smelling BMC had to work for Gilbert.

For Gilbert the TDF isnt neccesarily a major goal. He hasnt ridden it that man times before.

He said that 1 thing he really wants to do is wear Maglia rosa so he has all 3 gt leaders jerseys back home. He might go for Ardennes- Giro then take a break July -August (ride London) and bring it in late season which has got to be his main target.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:

He definitely did say something. He said that he'd made it clear when asked by Ochowicz that he needed a team dedicated to one thing and one thing only: his victory in the Tour. And he was assured that that was exactly the team's main goal and what every hire was about. Later, Evans clarified his statement, saying that he was thrilled to have Hushovd on the team and looking forward to his support in the Tour.

Evans is a team player. I think the team will agree ahead of time on what everyone's goals are, and then we'll see Evans riding support for Hushovd and Gilbert in some races. Come the TdF, we'll see a team totally focused on a successful defense for Evans.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Maxiton said:
He definitely did say something. He said that he'd made it clear when asked by Ochowicz that he needed a team dedicated to one thing and one thing only: his victory in the Tour. And he was assured that that was exactly the team's main goal and what every hire was about. Later, Evans clarified his statement, saying that he was thrilled to have Hushovd on the team and looking forward to his support in the Tour.

Evans is a team player. I think the team will agree ahead of time on what everyone's goals are, and then we'll see Evans riding support for Hushovd and Gilbert in some races. Come the TdF, we'll see a team totally focused on a successful defense for Evans.

I don't see Gilbert in the Ardennes of Tdf 2012 playing a team rol. He gonna wants win those 2 or 3 stages and ask BMC to kill the break.

At the end I don't see BMC stronger GT team than this year. Vinokourov didn't help anything Contador even was a obstacle sometimes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:
I don't see Gilbert in the Ardennes of Tdf 2012 playing a team rol. He gonna wants win those 2 or 3 stages and ask BMC to kill the break.

At the end I don't see BMC stronger GT team than this year. Vinokourov didn't help anything Contador even was a obstacle sometimes.

Gilbert and Evans developed quite a strong relationship at the end of 2009 with their unstoppable combination which Evans worked himself really hard for Gilbert. In many of those races Evans could of ridden for himself. Evans will be riding for Gilbert in many of the one day races for Phil during the year. Phil will be helping Cadel at the tour. I have no doubt in my mind that will happen. They have developed quite a close friendship and Phil was very dissapointed that he left Lotto. I think he would want to repay Cadel's help with him trying to win in the ardennes at the tour.

auscyclefan94 said:
Gilbert and Evans developed quite a strong relationship at the end of 2009 with their unstoppable combination which Evans worked himself really hard for Gilbert. In many of those races Evans could of ridden for himself. Evans will be riding for Gilbert in many of the one day races for Phil during the year. Phil will be helping Cadel at the tour. I have no doubt in my mind that will happen. They have developed quite a close friendship and Phil was very dissapointed that he left Lotto. I think he would want to repay Cadel's help with him trying to win in the ardennes at the tour.

Totally agree (probably for the first time ever :p)

Phil will go hard for the classics and ride for cadel at the tour.

AussieGoddess said:
Totally agree (probably for the first time ever :p)

Phil will go hard for the classics and ride for cadel at the tour.

2012 is probably Phils big big chance at getting the biggest win available to him.

Why should he go working for Cadel in the tour, when hes already got a busy Ardennes (+ possibly some Giro as he desperately wants to wear pink) and then a even busier Autumn season ahead of him.

I dont see what much good it would do working for Cadel at the Tour.

Yes its the tour. We get that. So the best riders in the world who have so much more they want to achieve, should risk their major aims simply to ride the Tour?

Gilbert has never shown himself to be that kind of person. Thats one of the great things about him.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
2012 is probably Phils big big chance at getting the biggest win available to him.

Why should he go working for Cadel in the tour, when hes already got a busy Ardennes (+ possibly some Giro as he desperately wants to wear pink) and then a even busier Autumn season ahead of him.

Yes its the tour. We get that. So the best riders in the world who have so much more they want to achieve, should risk their major aims simply to ride the Tour?

Gilbert has never shown himself to be that kind of person. Thats one of the great things about him.

I don't get what you mean by that first sentence. Phil has said he wants to work for Cadel at the tour. Those guys developed a close friendship at Lotto. He wants to work for Cadel. It i not about him at the tour and he knows that. He's not risking any of his aims.

auscyclefan94 said:
I don't get what you mean by that first sentence. Phil has said he wants to work for Cadel at the tour. Those guys developed a close friendship at Lotto. He wants to work for Cadel. It i not about him at the tour and he knows that. He's not risking any of his aims.
He said the same about VDB2. And what a great help he's been, in preventing Jurgen to get a stage victory by pulling him back.

Gilbert is a winner. Winners are selfish.

The Hitch said:

It wouldnt do him much good to work for Cadel at the Tour .... thats just the price to pay for Cadel's support in the classics.

He wants to win RvV first and foremost, then defend the Ardennes, and a world championship (if he doesnt win this year). Those are his goals. He wants to do it on a team with his friends (Cadel and Thor especially) ... and the price for that is to support Cadel in the Tour.

I personally think he wants to have a bit of a go at GT's in the future, so will ride for Cadel to learn how to do it. Cadel is pretty good at knowing when to conserve, when to go and when to wait ..... something Phil needs to learn in order to do 3 week tours.

TRENDING THREADS