• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Haimar Zubeldia the most anonymous GC rider?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
For mine he is.

Aside from the 2003 TdF where he was going on the attack, and this year when he was riding on the front for Astana, you never see him. He always high up in mountain stages or high up in GT GC's, but again nothing. Rarely an attack these days or even a win (he hasn't had a win since 2000!), and if you weren't paying in attention, you wouldn't know he is in the race.

How does he do it?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Would you call him a GC rider? I've always thought of him as more of a mountain domestique who manages to get decent results and always finishes fairly high in the GC, more through assisting others than personal ambition.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:
Would you call him a GC rider? I've always thought of him as more of a mountain domestique who manages to get decent results and always finishes fairly high in the GC, more through assisting others than personal ambition.

mmm for a long time I'd say he was the leader for euskatel (in the tour / vuelta)

doesn't seem like a winner though.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:

Because before 2009 he was always the team leader.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
mmm for a long time I'd say he was the leader for euskatel (in the tour / vuelta)

doesn't seem like a winner though.

Ya, I would agree, he was certainly the leader of Euskaltel along with Iban Mayo. It's only in recent years that he has been riding for other riders.

I wouldn't say he's any less of a GC rider than for example Tadej Valjavec or Mick Rogers. Some riders are up in the GC because they are the strongest in the mountains and attack and others are there because they are consistent and don't lose too much time when they are left behind.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
For mine he is.

Aside from the 2003 TdF where he was going on the attack
He did? I don't recall that at all.

One thing I found slightly odd was that after the 2003 TdF a lot of people were predicting great things on behalf of Iban Mayo, while Zubeldia was mostly ignored.

just to summarise these comments. Zubeldia was team leader until this season in astana. Before he was always co-leader, first sharing with mayo, later with samuel sanchez.

He only turn domestique this year. In Euskaltel was neither for mayo nor for samu

He is a diesel, lack of aggresivity, he always did.

I just want to recall big actuations at Dauphine during the years 2000, 2001, and winning the Bicicleta Vasca when he was 21 or 22.

Then TdF 2003 was his higgest achievement, 5th, he also repeated another year, but not with same bright, I think.

I could agree with this thread subject.

Aguirre said:
just to summarise these comments. Zubeldia was team leader until this season in astana. Before he was always co-leader, first sharing with mayo, later with samuel sanchez.

Then TdF 2003 was his higgest achievement, 5th, he also repeated another year, but not with same bright, I think.

Yeah, in the Tour of 2006 he finished top 10 (I don't remember what position, maybe 10th) when Mayo disappointed, and then 2007 he finished 5th again, when he shared leadership with Astarloza... but that was after the ejection of Ricco, Rasmussen and Astana (Kloeden and Kashechkin were both in the top 10), so his 5th place wasn't quite as impressive as 2003.

And +1 on the anonymity. He's one of the guys that never initiates moves in the mountains, but can always follow, and doesn't do a great TT, but good enough to hang onto his position. You never notice him until you look at the results sheet.

Who are some other riders like that? Someone mentioned Tadej Valjevic, and he's the first one that comes to my mind.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree, Zubeldia seems to be one of those guys who is always up there near the front doing his job, but without the flash or the attitude. Not sure if I would call him a GC rider or a top-flight domestique who can consistently give you a high finish. I would probably consider him the GC equivalent of the old-school Gilbert Duclos-LaSalle.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:

One thing I found slightly odd was that after the 2003 TdF a lot of people were predicting great things on behalf of Iban Mayo, while Zubeldia was mostly ignored.

I remember the stage that Carlos Sastre won, and he and Ullrich finished ahead of Lance.

samb01 said:

The Euskatel DS during the 2003 Tour was quoted as saying that Zubeldia had the bigger upside based on his consistency and maturity when comparing the two. He thought of Mayo as a "wild card", never certain as to what he would get out of him race to race.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
The Euskatel DS during the 2003 Tour was quoted as saying that Zubeldia had the bigger upside based on his consistency and maturity when comparing the two. He thought of Mayo as a "wild card", never certain as to what he would get out of him race to race.

Watching back the 2003 tour i was surprised to find out he beat Mayo when u always saw mayo attacking and ssticking it up to armstrong.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Anonymous? Yes
A GT Contender? Doubtful.
5th in the Tour, twice (the second time by default) hardly credits the tag.
Especially, as if anyone mentions Damiano Cunego as a GT contender, people laugh, and this guy has actually won one.

To be fair Haimar is a little more consistant then Cunego. (in terms of GT)

Well, that's debatable. If so, not by much.
Cunego did win the Tour de France, young rider classification (2006) and has also finished 5th in another Giro, off the top of my head.
Zubeldia was 5th at the 2005 Tour, but got handed that spot, in 2007, with enforced pull outs.

Below fifth spot.....is that really contender territory?

Still, one thing is certain. Cunego is certainly not anonymous, unlikey Haimar.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Reviving this thread for one of my favourite riders ! I don't know how many more years he has left in him so I'm hoping for another great result this TDF !

Here's a great action shot of the ninja himself on Jenkin road yesterday:

171837_PIC477083889.jpg

Currently in 15th position on GC @2sec and best placed of the Trek riders now.

He should be safe on stage 3 & 4 but I'm looking forward to seeing some world class stealth tactics on the cobbled sections.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
deValtos said:
Reviving this thread for one of my favourite riders ! I don't know how many more years he has left in him so I'm hoping for another great result this TDF !

Here's a great action shot of the ninja himself on Jenkin road yesterday:

. . .

Currently in 15th position on GC @2sec and best placed of the Trek riders now.

He should be safe on stage 3 & 4 but I'm looking forward to seeing some world class stealth tactics on the cobbled sections.

Am I missing it? I don't see a Trekkie in that shot - Sky, Tinkoff fluo, etc, but not Trek?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Am I missing it? I don't see a Trekkie in that shot - Sky, Tinkoff fluo, etc, but not Trek?

That was the point of the picture. It fits perfectly with the thread topic. I LOL'd.

Anyway, directly behind Froome is Peraud. To Peraud's left (right in the pic) and directly behind Talansky *might* be Zubeldia.

The other option would be the rider directly behind Rolland, but I think that is Kwiatkowski (forgot what color helmets TFR wear, but I think OPQS wear white).