• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Nuclear Ninja (Anaerobic) Climbing Unhealthy?

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The tougher the climb, the more I want to time trial it because of the challenge and the fact that I have a full-time job and not enough time to climb.

I have a spreadsheet with all of the major climbs here in overcrowded Southern California with my times, speed, feet climbed per hour and which bandana I was wearing to cover my bald spot so I can track the luck each one brings me (currently, the Black Dragon bandana is beating out the Skull & Crossbones which is miles ahead of the Rising Sun).

I seem to have only one Nuclear Ninja anaerobic 170-180 bpm (heartrate) blitz per weekend of 20 to 40 minutes on 10% to 20% grade.

Long term and generally speaking, are doing these time trials unhealthy and damaging to the body, or are they a nice interval training balance to sane cardiovascular activitiy with heartrates in the 120s to 140s?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
syringelessss said:
The tougher the climb, the more I want to time trial it because of the challenge and the fact that I have a full-time job and not enough time to climb.

I have a spreadsheet with all of the major climbs here in overcrowded Southern California with my times, speed, feet climbed per hour and which bandana I was wearing to cover my bald spot so I can track the luck each one brings me (currently, the Black Dragon bandana is beating out the Skull & Crossbones which is miles ahead of the Rising Sun).

I seem to have only one Nuclear Ninja anaerobic 170-180 bpm (heartrate) blitz per weekend of 20 to 40 minutes on 10% to 20% grade.

Long term and generally speaking, are doing these time trials unhealthy and damaging to the body, or are they a nice interval training balance to sane cardiovascular activitiy with heartrates in the 120s to 140s?

You are fine, you will not break. I have been in races where my heart rate is over 170 for 3 out of 5 hours.

May 7, 2010
Visit site
As a USA Cycling Coach I suggest there are a number of factors which you should consider:

Do not pass go: Unless you a young buck, see your doctor. Get a cardiac screening. If you are doing this for the long term, schedule same once a year. THe California cycling community lost one of our longstanding (and long riding) members on the Devil Mountain Double this year.

If you are given the green-light: First and foremost consider your goals: If you are simply riding for the joy of the exertion (punishment?) then assuming you are cleared to ride at threshold you are not likely to be doing any harm.

However, as you are effectively doing a TT to exhaustion every week, you will not progress through the year or beyond. The body gets stronger during RECOVERY. Depending on your age you should recover fully every 3 or 4 weeks.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Passo Stelvio said:
As a USA Cycling Coach I suggest there are a number of factors which you should consider:

Do not pass go: Unless you a young buck, see your doctor. Get a cardiac screening. If you are doing this for the long term, schedule same once a year. THe California cycling community lost one of our longstanding (and long riding) members on the Devil Mountain Double this year.

If you are given the green-light: First and foremost consider your goals: If you are simply riding for the joy of the exertion (punishment?) then assuming you are cleared to ride at threshold you are not likely to be doing any harm.

However, as you are effectively doing a TT to exhaustion every week, you will not progress through the year or beyond. The body gets stronger during RECOVERY. Depending on your age you should recover fully every 3 or 4 weeks.
Thanks much for the details.

I have a green light from my physician, who I see every September, although he recommends I get a girlfriend because I'm too attached to my DirecTV.

I will be 42 on Mother's Day, so I assume I should recover fully every 3 or 4 YEARS at this point. Resting heartrate currently is 44bpm, unless I'm watching Shaquille O'Neal try to play defense. Or move.

I will scale back on TTing to exhaustion. I actually look forward more to rides that are fun and reasonably heartrated, although there's something exhilarating about doing an all out To-Hell-And-Back ride on Mount Baldy, Tuna Canyon, Las Flores Canyon or Deer Creek.

Thanks again to you and the other responders!!

Rich

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You are fine, you will not break. I have been in races where my heart rate is over 170 for 3 out of 5 hours.

That would depend on what your Max HR is of course, if is was 171 you are in trouble! But I agree, once you go anaerobic you will only last for so long before you are forced to slow down anyway by your overworked mitochondria!