• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Philippe Gilbert Doping?

The guy beats the best riders in the world, known dopers, flies out from being a good rider to the best in the world suddenly at age of 28.

Is the tide turning or are these just more too good to be true performances?

But since Cancellara gets murdered on this forum for being to good, no matter how much you like Gilbert and hate Canc, he deserves this thread too.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The guy beats the best riders in the world, known dopers, flies out from being a good rider to the best in the world suddenly at age of 28.

I wouldnt start this if his fanboys didnt get on other peoples backs for doping.

But since they do, well, do you seriously believe he is clean?

that's quick. lol

no he isnt clean. however he earned my respect. a champion.

still not at canc's level :)

but a great win hitch. if he isnt using cera and sh+t like that, i dont care.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Think Gilbert is fantastic and what a kick to win but I have to agree...it doesnt look good, he seems to be 'unbelievable'!!

He was pretty much taunting the rest when he was going over the line.. haha :p

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
greatking88 said:
Think Gilbert is fantastic and what a kick to win but I have to agree...it doesnt look good, he seems to be 'unbelievable'!!

He was pretty much taunting the rest when he was going over the line.. haha :p

just like ricco at the tour...

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I wouldnt start this if his fanboys didnt get on other peoples backs for doping.

But since they do, well, do you seriously believe he is clean?

Why do you find it surprising to see a rider come to form at 28?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
superconfex said:
End this tread

Look, if you don't like such threads, stay out of the clinic, people here are free to discuss whether any rider dopes, not just those riders that people don't like. If you do not agree with the opinion that he dopes, provide arguments for your position, or adress the arguments put forth by those that say he does use doping.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Gilbert is the best in the world at ONE thing: accelerating on a slope. That is not a skill which is augmented greatly by oxygen vector doping, which is the most prevalent and effective technique currently in use.

There's nothing sudden about Gilbert, he's been steadily building up ever since he turned pro. His current level is hard to believe, but there's really not much info against him right now, so it all comes down to how much of a cynic everyone is.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Based on the "type" of wins we're seeing, it reminds me of Thor at the World Championships, except much steeper finishes: Good positioning, with one very well-timed, powerful kick to finish everyone off.

Until I see a different "type" of win, I'll accept that he's a ferocious competitor whose maximizing his strengths at an age that makes perfect sense for his achievements.

The Hitch said:
I suppose it might be the time to point out that since there was a 200 + post thread about Cancellara doping, I am perfectly entitled to make the same thread about Gilbert.

You are entitled to question every rider who throws his leg over a bike.
I'm not sure why you do though. I would find another sport.

spalco said:
Actually I had the impression he thought he was over the line earlier than the actual line. I really didn't interpret that as taunting.

No Gilbert often does that. Its quite cool actually. In the eurosport adevert they had a fast motion replay of Gilbert in Amstel 2010 and hes just riding up the climb without his hands on the handlebars.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The performances that I see as suspicious are the super-human feats of prolonged effort, like flying up a 10% slope for kilometre after kilometre without slowing, or ITTing the last 50km of a major cobbled classic without anyone coming close to you. I don't see Gilbert doing any of these things. He has one strength, he plays to it, and he wins with it. It's not impossible that he is doped up to the gills, but I think we'd be seeing MUCH more impressive riding from him if he was.

The man won 6 out of last 9 1-day classics he started, podiumed one and finished in the top-10 in one.

But just because he is unable to ride like Cancellara (who with his multiple ITT titles is surely just playing to his strength, right?) he is not riding impressively?