• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Stapleton the Obama of the Pro Peloton?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
Whats with comparing riders to American political figures??
Someone else threw a thread up with a Sarah Palin comparison. Did you have a problem with that tenuous thread title?

How about Stapleton's comments that he may go to Vaughters boss with his grievences?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
grievances? what grievances, there are no legit grievances. This is just an ego play. How is it really a "team" when you turn over the squad every three years, and just buy the 5 best espoirs in the u23, then allow riders like Boasson and Lovqvist to leave.

Would it not be a better model for cycling, to have a genuine team, that is together for 5 years or so, and not hording all the young talent in one team. Why not have a strong list of 25, well balanced so you do not have a 25 man A team, when there are only 9 spots for the Tour A team. So there are 16 riders who miss out.

Less of a team, and more a bunch of individuals, freelancers, and sole contractors, and trying to control ambitions and stem egos must be the real skill on Columbia.

You hear about George at USPS thought he deserved 100% team leadership in Roubaix, even if he never could put himself absolutely above the others on his squad, Hoste, Devolder, Hammond. Then the year his stearer broke, he said one of the most ridiculous things I have hear, where he said he had seen himself in his mind, winning Roubaix that day and holding the cobble above his head.

You are not just given wins, or deserve them, or having put in, so you have earnt them over time, just because of your nationality, and you come backed with the economic heft of the american economy. Just BS. risible, choke on my soup...

benpounder said:
delusional political followers are even worse... They are convinced they know what is best for you...

Cannot be any worse than those who spy on you, violate the Bill or Rights, drag people off to secret prisons, torture people to death, let unregulated capitalism destroy the world economy, start unprovoked wars, and kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people like the previous administration.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Someone else threw a thread up with a Sarah Palin comparison. Did you have a problem with that tenuous thread title?

How about Stapleton's comments that he may go to Vaughters boss with his grievences?

Why yes I do. You've seen first hand how crap that thread was and you chose to make a carbon copy. Would it surprise you that the majority of posters on here aren't from the US or give a toss about politics? It might be a good idea to refrain from using these pathetic comparisons in the future.

What the hell is being an 'Obama' mean anyhow?

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
What the hell is being an 'Obama' mean anyhow?
Being an Obama is like a Black Hole but instead of sucking up Solar Systems and Galaxies, you are sucking up money and resources never to be seen or heard of again. Hope that helps. :D

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
and as far as the unregulated capitalism destroying the world economy, now we have a guy who can't even figure out how to do his own taxes trying to fix it. LOL!!!!

benpounder said:

So in other words, the post title was a reflexive response and this post in fact has no relationship to Obama or his approaching to governing. I'm pretty sure you can find plenty of political blogs/forums to post this nonsense. Otherwise, make a LUCID analogy with Obama and cycling or move the f**k on.

Is pro cycling really becoming this whining game, all about symbols, not potential? It's a bike race, everyone has the right to ride at the front of a peloton. If sport would be fair, only nice guys could win, it would be unfair.

Is then really all of the GC artificial? Is it to be orchestrated? You are not allowed to take time in such and such a situation. Only on uphill finishes and time trials. You have to wait for riders who stupidly crash, etc.

Let's call it a bike race. Every day there is a prize to be won, and everyone's welcomed to give it a go. After 20 days, the guy who used the least amount of time, won a bigger prize. No politics, no fixing please. If one needs the "right" to win, perhaps a few sponsors are throwing away their money on cycling, because only a few riders are OK to win, ride in yellow, etc.

What's the big deal about yellow anyway? It's a very temporary thing, and usually means that the pack was too lazy to chase you. Big pride, huge accomplishment. Ugh. Happy that they don't award time bonuses anymore, sprinters in yellow is even worse.

If Hincapie (and I love the guy like everyone does) wants yellow, he'll have to make a better deal with his co-escapers, ride faster. But still, would only have gotten it for the pack not chasing. I bet Hincapie is enough man to know his one yellow he already "won" was worth more.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Statpelton is a rat of a man and should keep his mouth shut. Obviously Garmin were riding on the front to protect Wiggins as he was split from the bunch yesterday. It has nothing to do with Hincapie not getting into yellow.

A

Anonymous

i might start an IS brad wiggins the new norman tebbit thread just to confused the americans...

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:
Yes, that's what my 16 year old tells me all the time!

Susan

you are surely not implying that some of the people round here act like children.. :eek:

thats almost slander, i think...

TRENDING THREADS