• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

is team sky the worst team tactically in cycling?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Netserk said:
King Boonen said:
Billie said:
2010-2015:

Sky biggest wins: 2 Tours, Olympic timetrial, couple paris nices, romandies and dauphines.

Saxo: 1 tour and 1 giro OR 2 giros, 2 Vueltas, 2 Rondes, Roubaix, amstel, world timetrial,

Why do you give Saxo a time-trial WC and not Sky? Showing you biases?
On the other hand there's missing some one-week stage races for Saxo...

I'm sure there are, Sky's list seems very "up to date"...

I'll still maintain there are teams teams out there who would kill for Skys' palmares. To call them tactically inept with a list of wins like that is a bit silly.

Re:

Billie said:
2010-2015:

Sky biggest wins: 2 Tours, Olympic timetrial, couple paris nices, romandies and dauphines, worlds timetrial

Saxo: 1 tour and 1 giro OR 2 giros, 2 Vueltas, 2 Rondes, Roubaix, amstel, worldss timetrial,

3 paris-nice, 3 romandie and 4 dauphine. at least report accurately.

They made zero mistakes this Tour. Zero. I think the worst thing you can call them out on is Froome slow pedalling on the front on Bretagne, and thats it.
Pretty damn good for team with supposedly worst tactics (and I know they are strong, but first week was all about tactics and they got out of it with yellow jersey).

Where is the thread for Tinkoff though for wasting half of the Tour?

Re:

damian13ster said:
They made zero mistakes this Tour. Zero. I think the worst thing you can call them out on is Froome slow pedalling on the front on Bretagne, and thats it.
Pretty damn good for team with supposedly worst tactics (and I know they are strong, but first week was all about tactics and they got out of it with yellow jersey).

Where is the thread for Tinkoff though for wasting half of the Tour?

I agree. This is the first GT where they have raced very smart.
It took them some time to learn though.

Re:

damian13ster said:

Well they made the wrong call on who the 5th man should be for the TTT, giving Roche too much work to do on the run up to the final climb, probably costing them the win

wwabbit said:
damian13ster said:

Well they made the wrong call on who the 5th man should be for the TTT, giving Roche too much work to do on the run up to the final climb, probably costing them the win

Fair point. It didn't cost them more than 3-4 seconds though (possibly a stage win). But that is still pretty marginal, especially for a team with a thread like that

wwabbit said:
damian13ster said:

I get the feeling it should have been Poels as 5th man, however he was gone half way up the climb. I do actually applaud Roche for digging in, you could see by his facial expressions that his legs were completely blown.

Pricey_sky said:
wwabbit said:
damian13ster said:

I get the feeling it should have been Poels as 5th man, however he was gone half way up the climb. I do actually applaud Roche for digging in, you could see by his facial expressions that his legs were completely blown.

There was no 5th man ( sounds like Burgess & MCClean :D )
Read Roche's diary .. SKY were supposed to have more riders to the finish but Kennaugh went missing and Poles blew

Anyway wanted to post this here as so many ridiculous posts about SKY lack of tactics (which have been great in this Tour) and this shows how inept Astana are

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicolas-roche-he-ate-so-many-gels-he-vomited-as-he-climbed-31380668.html

The interview of roche in which he said that he doesn't understand the criticism that sky destroyed the race, is interesting. He says that often it were the other teams which made much work and which were the reason why attacks were difficult. fe movistar in PSM.
I think its actually right that this year they didnt dominate the stages like they did in 2012, however it was still boring to see when 3 of the 4-5 strongest climbers come from one team. However thats not really tactically but about strength.

Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Still a meh team if I am honest. Incredibly inconsistent.

They were better for the most part but they were all over the place at the beginning of Stage 19. I still don't know why they thought it was so imperative to chase a break 130km from the finish when there was 30 km of valley coming up. They blew themselves to bits naively IMO.

TRENDING THREADS