• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is the Armstrong versus Contador "rivalry" a myth?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Polish said:
Admittedly a tough question - but c'mon, one of the guys is your team mate!

some more comments from that 2008 Vuelta...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/09/road/contador-hesitant-to-ride-with-armstrong_83526

But those are not the comments that I was remembering...
It was during the 2008 Giro....Alberto made some negative comments about how hard Levi was working. Again, they may have been warranted (but they weren't) though they came across as really really whiny. Crappy "Leadership".
Still think Levi "gifted" the 2008 Vuelta to Alberto...Levi should have won.
And Rasmussen should have won the 2007 TdF.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Didn't.

Still think folks are making more of what he is saying. Kid is a straight shooter. If you asked me who was the biggest wheel suck (at that time), I would have been hard pressed to give an answer.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Admittedly a tough question - but c'mon, one of the guys is your team mate!

some more comments from that 2008 Vuelta...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/09/road/contador-hesitant-to-ride-with-armstrong_83526

But those are not the comments that I was remembering...
It was during the 2008 Giro....Alberto made some negative comments about how hard Levi was working. Again, they may have been warranted (but they weren't) though they came across as really really whiny. Crappy "Leadership".
Still think Levi "gifted" the 2008 Vuelta to Alberto...Levi should have won.
And Rasmussen should have won the 2007 TdF.

If Levi was on another team who rode solely rode for him, that does not nessecarily mean that he would of won. Tatics do change in different circumstances.Contador's tatics would of changed.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Frankly, I think this is more of an interpretation issue since they don't quote AC as saying that he got no help from Levi. It reads like a conclusion being drawn by the journalist (which isn't really supported by the quoted language from AC).

The last time I used Alberto's actual quoted language to you, you couldn't wait to tell me what he really meant instead of the quoted language.

A blogger writes, " a Spanish mechanic says.. " and you're ready to take the rest as gospel.

Quotes? You don''t need no stinking quotes.

Carboncrank said:
The last time I used Alberto's actual quoted language to you, you couldn't wait to tell me what he really meant instead of the quoted language.

A blogger writes, " a Spanish mechanic says.. " and you're ready to take the rest as gospel.

Quotes? You don''t need no stinking quotes.

Unfortunately you have a tendency to mis-read, ignore or fail to fully comprehend the written word. So in the instant case you are referencing, you drew an unwarranted conclusion about a matter completely unrelated to the matter being addressed. So while it is clear you feel you are vindicated in your approach and reasoning, the reality is you lack the cognitive skills to appreciate how far off the mark you truly are. At the end of the day, I say rejoice in your ignorance for it is all the life you will ever know.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Which stage was this? Or do you mean that Armstrong was in front of Contador in formation? Because both were protected riders and just as often Contador was in front of Armstrong in the formation.

In formation. Can't recall the actual stage to be honest, and it was only for a short period as they rounded a corner into a head wind, 2 a breast with AC behind LA. at the time took that as a clear sign of who Astana where protecting.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
In your career you’ve had a Spanish director, Saiz, one Belgian, Bruyneel, and now you have an Italian one, Martinelli. Differences?

The Italian philosophy is different. The first thing that was clear to me is that for Martino the team must be built around a captain, that everything must revolve around the leader.

Let's see.... Martinelli has Alberto Contador and...

He must be a genius figuring that one out.
He must have woke up in the middle of the night... IT'S ALBERTO! THAT'S IT! ALBERTO SHOULD BE THE LEADER!!!

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Unfortunately you have a tendency to mis-read, ignore or fail to fully comprehend the written word. So in the instant case you are referencing, you drew an unwarranted conclusion about a matter completely unrelated to the matter being addressed. So while it is clear you feel you are vindicated in your approach and reasoning, the reality is you lack the cognitive skills to appreciate how far off the mark you truly are. At the end of the day, I say rejoice in your ignorance for it is all the life you will ever know.

So.... I take it we won't be watching that Tour of Ca stage?? :D

Silly me.. I though we'd stopped making our difference personal. You were just very hard. Don't think I can't return in kind. I'm choosing not too.

I thought the "I don't need no stinking quotes" was a least a little funny? :p

I use quotes.. i post links to info showing why I say things instead of just saying them. .... I enjoy research... yet I'm "ignorant".

Oh well, I am trying.

Carboncrank said:
So.... I take it we won't be watching that Tour of Ca stage?? :D

Silly me.. I though we'd stopped making our difference personal. You were just very hard. Don't think I can't return in kind. I'm choosing not too.

I thought the "I don't need no stinking quotes" was a least a little funny? :p

I use quotes.. i post links to info showing why I say things instead of just saying them. .... I enjoy research... yet I'm "ignorant".

Oh well, I am trying.

Our differences aren't personal. I made an observation about you based on your posts. A question (and answer) about the impact of Armstrong' absence would have tactically was, in your mind, proof that AC believed that JB/LA were working in his best interest during the TdF. In essence the sky is red to you, despite the fact that it is blue. Merely noting that fact does not make it personal, it simply is an observation.

So please don't take it personal, because it is not. I understand that you have you an affliction that renders it impossible for you to read written words and fully comprehend the writer's intent. Rather than ask for clarification (and thereby admit/acknowledge) your deficiency, you mask it by creating an alternate narrative to justify (in your head alone) your rather warped view of reality. The first step is acknowledging you have a problem, from there begins a path back to reality.

Polish said:
Still think Levi "gifted" the 2008 Vuelta to Alberto...Levi should have won. And Rasmussen should have won the 2007 TdF.

You can "think" all you want. Levi had plenty of chances to do something in the grand tours when he was team leader for these races with Rabobank and Gerolsteiner and he did jack squat.

Which is why he went back to being a support rider, because he doesn't have the talent to win anything but some bs overhyped race like the Tour of California, with all of it's ZERO mountain top finishes and b-list competition.

The majority of the domestic US teams that show up for that race couldn't compete against Belgian amateurs during kermesse season. So please with your revisionist history.

And how about that magical 2006 TDF, with no Lance, no Ulrich and no Basso? What stopped Levi then? A lack of talent, finishing 18 plus minutes behind that colossus of the grand tours Oscar Pereiro.

What a joke.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Our differences aren't personal. I made an observation about you based on your posts. A question (and answer) about the impact of Armstrong' absence would have tactically was, in your mind, proof that AC believed that JB/LA were working in his best interest during the TdF. In essence the sky is red to you, despite the fact that it is blue. Merely noting that fact does not make it personal, it simply is an observation.

So please don't take it personal, because it is not. I understand that you have you an affliction that renders it impossible for you to read written words and fully comprehend the writer's intent. Rather than ask for clarification (and thereby admit/acknowledge) your deficiency, you mask it by creating an alternate narrative to justify (in your head alone) your rather warped view of reality. The first step is acknowledging you have a problem, from there begins a path back to reality.

Is this what they call a backhanded compliment?

A

Anonymous

erader said:
mcEwen = another has been with a big mouth.

ed rader

I think Robbie would love to do anything he could to get on the shack...I like robbie...but he would fit in perfectly at geri-shack...a big over the hill name...he never got over Steegmans jumping ship at Lotto...so my guess is siding with Armstong might get him his old leadout man back...

TRENDING THREADS