• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this a former pro?

A friend took this picture at this year's Tour, because everyone was making a fuss over the guy, so he just assumed he was famous. :D
We've got no idea who it is. Thanks

unknownrider.jpg

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Its Harry Potter, you might have seen him in films such as, Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets or Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, fighting the fictional character of Lord Voldermort

May 26, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Know what you mean I think he is Duch. Someone must know who he is. some nice legs behind him.

I also initially identified him as benigni, but checked and saw I was wrong.

If he's a rider, he ain't dutch as think I would recognize all of the stars of the last 40 years.

I'm doing a very broad guesstimate here and put him between 50-60 years old. So he raced somewhere between 40 and 15 years ago :p

Good luck with that :D

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Its definitely not Robert Millar or Andy Bishop. No one in france would make a fuss over Bishop... and he doesn't look anything like Bishop :)

Anyhow, could the OP give us more clues? What stage/Town was it from? That could help narrow it down. He's likely french, he's likely an ex-pro, if we know the town we could probably figure it out better - people were probably making a fuss over him because he's a famous local ex-pro.

Kinda looks a bit like Eric Caritoux? But I don't think it is. I also remember a guy from La Vie Claire in '85-86 who looked like this... but I can't remember his name. Marc Gomez? Phillipe Leleu?

Could be Gomez?

gomez.jpg

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Still think it could be Millar, and regarding the schnoz I actually think if you could see this guy in profile he would have a hooter like Millars.

Asked a French colleague who knows the fame game pretty well in France. Based on his response, it's nobody whom we might call a "French celebrity", such as an actor or comedian. Which suggests he definitely is connected to cycling. Something about him just seems to shout 'Swiss' at me. :) He is also wearing a VIP badge, given the yellow ribbon around his neck.

Let's try to remember the context here, folks. OP said when posting this photo in the Retro Thread that "people were making a fuss of him".

No disrespect to Martin Earley or any of the other guys we tried out for size here, but none of our suggestions except perhaps for Caritoux at an outside bet would be known widely enough for people to get excited about. :)

That's why I threw it open to a non-cyclist Frenchman, to ask him if he recognised the guy as some sort of known figure in French culture and/or society who would be at the Tour on a VIP ticket and recognised by a fairly broad public. My colleague didn't know him and he's obviously very much au fait with Frenchness, so our man is probably from cycling.

So whoever he is, and he's still nagging at me, let's remember that he must be relatively famous. :)

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
It is Millar. Check out 'The High life' on Youtube, particularly the bit where he's sat in the hatch of the motor being interviewed. The nose is the same, curving to his left slightly from top to bottom, similar laughter lines (if you can call them that), eyebrows and ears. Remember we're adding twenty five years to Robert in the video.

Pleased to see the 'Roberta' Millar thing is a load of old baloney, that he can enjoy a bit of anonimity (despite the french public knowing their Kings Of The Mountains) . Well done for pulling that fast one in Pro-Cycling Bob!

Good to watch the old footage and realise (if we didn't know already) he acheived his 4th place finish in the Tour de France in a completely different manner to Bradley Wiggins.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
It's definately not Millar. The nose and mouth just aren't right. He looks familiar to me, but a trawl through my 80s cycling books yields no answers. Otherwise he looks like a bad Sven Goran Erikson look-a-like to me.

If the OP wants an answer then he needs to tell us where the photo was taken. Then I'm sure someone will find the truth.

A

Anonymous

hmsgenoa said:
It is Millar. Check out 'The High life' on Youtube, particularly the bit where he's sat in the hatch of the motor being interviewed. The nose is the same, curving to his left slightly from top to bottom, similar laughter lines (if you can call them that), eyebrows and ears. Remember we're adding twenty five years to Robert in the video.

Its not millar (99% sure). Just put that photo and one of a similar angle of robert into the computer.

Chin on this photo is longer than Millars, ie the gap between the chin and the bottom lip is bigger relative to the rest of the face. Millars nose is marginally longer, and in this photo the gap between the upper lip and the start of the nose is bigger than millar. Millar also has a squarer chin.
Youre features do change slightly but the gap between your nose and your top lip does not change, and your eyes dont move further up your head.

TRENDING THREADS