Is Vino doping again or clean?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2009
138
0
0
quarterdeck said:
Wat????????????


The paranoid regular poster here have probably mistaken you for another user that makes them cry. That usually happens when you don't tow the CN forums party line, and you have your own opinion. You're not the first this has happened to.
 
Dec 29, 2009
409
0
0
Mach Schnell said:
Perhaps a more appropriate question would be "why do you believe he's doped"?
Its meaningless to just say "I think he's doped".
He hasn't had that great a season, IMO, he shouldn't have lost San Sebastian in a sprint to Sanchez, he couldn't keep up when the going got hot climb wise in the TDF, Cancellara had a better classics season. He is 36 after all.
To get back to the original post, it was asked to confirm whether he is doped or not. So where is the confirmation??

are you serious? have you ever seen anyone -- much less a 36-year-old -- come back as strong from a 2-year suspension :eek:?

this isn't a court of law: you either think he's doped or he isn't. my take is OF COURSE he's doped.

erader
 
PhiberAwptik said:
The paranoid regular poster here have probably mistaken you for another user that makes them cry. That usually happens when you don't tow the CN forums party line, and you have your own opinion. You're not the first this has happened to.

I'm sure Quarterdeck was not trying to tow anything.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
erader said:
are you serious? have you ever seen anyone -- much less a 36-year-old -- come back as strong from a 2-year suspension :eek:?

Well, I know it wasn't a suspension, but a certain Lance Armstrong managed pretty well his first year back :rolleyes:
 
Apr 29, 2009
380
1
0
Slight tangent - if that's a pic from the tour Joe posted, I'm very surprised to see wine on the table. You would think riders would be off the vino (ho ho ho) during a race like the tour!

As for Vino being doped or not...it's not for me to say. I don't know what to believe about pro cycling anymore. I almost don't care.
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,355
1
0
Ryo Hazuki said:
vino is the proove that when everyone rides clean the same guys are on top. vino is mentally so strong, stronger than bloodtransfusions and he's showing it.
It's like a miracle!
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
Ibanez said:
Slight tangent - if that's a pic from the tour Joe posted, I'm very surprised to see wine on the table. You would think riders would be off the vino (ho ho ho) during a race like the tour!

As for Vino being doped or not...it's not for me to say. I don't know what to believe about pro cycling anymore. I almost don't care.

Is that Contador with his back to camera? I think those are the right Side burns. Not all the guys at the table will be racers. The guy in the white shirt and the fatter guy in the background won't be abstaining.
 
Mach Schnell said:
Perhaps a more appropriate question would be "why do you believe he's doped"?
Its meaningless to just say "I think he's doped".
He hasn't had that great a season, IMO, he shouldn't have lost San Sebastian in a sprint to Sanchez, he couldn't keep up when the going got hot climb wise in the TDF, Cancellara had a better classics season. He is 36 after all.
To get back to the original post, it was asked to confirm whether he is doped or not. So where is the confirmation??

Have to disagree. He has had a fantastic season:confused: Great overall in 2 GTs. LBL win, 2nd in San Sab. 1 tour stage. All in action in both GTs. AND as he gave his word, deluxe domestique for AC.

Is he doping? Yes.
 
May 9, 2009
638
0
0
Ibanez said:
Slight tangent - if that's a pic from the tour Joe posted, I'm very surprised to see wine on the table. You would think riders would be off the vino (ho ho ho) during a race like the tour!

'Tis not wine...it's the juice squeezed from the livers and spleens of VINO!'s fallen enemies.

Fresh meat in the chaffing dishes; fava beans in the big bowl.

:D
 
May 20, 2010
37
0
0
joe_papp said:
You might want to change the title of this thread, since none of us could confirm Vino was doping, if he was, since we're not him nor do we have that level of access - and we're not in a position to issue denials on his behalf. Maybe, "Do you suspect Vino of doping? Y/N"

Just make a poll, no?

Sorry to be persnickety but if you're going to persecute Vino, at least give him the benefit of correct word choice. ;)

That said, you might also want to read this Vino-specific thread to develop some background, as there's a lot of implicit shading of feeling there. Just curious - why such a confrontational choice of post topics for someone who's been here since May but only posted eight times? :confused:

Lastly, be careful what you say about Vino... As I explained in a previous post, I'm aware that there's been some speculation as to what Vino is going to do next year - whether he would race all the GT's, or a less rigorous season, or retire altogether.

At this point I think it's more likely that he's not doping and is racing clean, because he can't afford to risk losing his license and jeopardizing his income again. His success as a private businessman doesn't match his success as a rider: apparently, Vino set-up a toilet paper manufacturing facility in his native country this spring, to produce "Vino Toilet Paper" for resale to the Central Asian market.

But there was a problem: it wouldn't take sh^t from anyone.

All good points. I didn't think too much before I posted and as result you got poor word choice and a confrontational tone.

I was not looking to flame - just curious about people's opinions.

I used to race mountain bikes professionally, so I've been a long time lurker on cyclingnews since it's inception and have heard many stories from industry insiders about doping going on. I even had a coach at CTS that thought Lance doped.

Anyway. Thanks for the input.
 
Jun 9, 2010
2,007
0
0
maltiv said:
1. He's a worse climber than he used to be.
2. He's a worse time trialist than he used to be.
3. He has learned to time his attacks, resulting in his success this year.

1. He is already 36 and he was climbing quite well in Il Giro and in Le Tour for a guy who was 2 years out from ProCycling...
2. Worse TT than he used to be? well yeah but again is the age... but is not so bad! just take a look in his results in Il Giro: 4th in the Prologue just at 5'' from Wiggins and 3rd in the last TT at 17'' from Larsson who is an specialist... so you would like to reconsider your post...
3. Of course... Vino is now a really mature guy... He has mastered the breakaway and that's why Ryder wrote in his twitter "When you see Vino going in a breakaway you have to follow him" (not exactly his words)

Again... I think you would like to reconsider your post... ;)

Mach Schnell said:
He hasn't had that great a season, IMO

This is serious?
6th in Il Giro
Winner in Giro del Trentino (with one stage) and
Liege - Bastogne - Liege (One of the monuments!),
1 victory stage in Le Tour!
Top 20 in Le Tour
2nd in San Sebastian!
and 4th in Le Tour du Mediterran...

You should reconsider your post too... ;)

Vino is juiced? I don't know... but I prefer to think that He is not juiced... as Joe said He can't risk his career, as a DS, being caught again...

so you might ask "Hey but he has had amazing performance and looks like the fatigue don't affect him"... Well Vino during his career has shown that he is really strong mentally (as Ryo said) and that plays a really big part in the performances of a cyclist...

I know that a lot of you ppl could think that I'm too naive but I really think that cycling is cleaner now... those ppl who is doping has been caught just take a look to cycling news in this 3 weeks we already have more than 5 guys out of the peloton... I know that cycling has a really dark past but I think that now we are in a new era... I think that now less than 20% of the peloton is in "something" and those ppl will get caught soon (fingers crossed)...

Cycling is now a more cleaner sport (just take a look to the performances and times) and we should help to promote it instead of throwing Sh/t on it... :(
 
May 20, 2010
37
0
0
Squares said:
Careful here...

I have had posts where I brought up Vino's doping past deleted by moderators.

Based on that, it seems that it is OK to make any thread that mentions LA or JB into one on doping, but if you talk about Vino (or Ricco for that matter) you get smacked down and your posts get deleted. This despite the fact that Vino and Ricco both served time for their doping offenses and LA only is rumored to be a doper.

That is too funny if true.
 
Jul 27, 2010
260
0
0
None of Vino's performances have really shown that he is doping. He won L-B-L because he attacked early with everyone watching Contador. This year, he doesn't seem nearly as strong as in 2007, but is constantly on the attack and having almost as much success.
 
Aug 16, 2009
322
0
0
If Vino is still doped, then it is time to just give up and legalize whatever. I hope he is clean, he always makes a race more fun.
 
yakhillclimb said:
That is too funny if true.

I would bet it's not true. The mods here are pretty fair no matter what their personal leanings might be. If he had posts where he accused anyone of doping deleted you can bet that he did not post them in the Clinic, and that he was warned several times about the proper place to post such things.
 
Jun 16, 2009
3,035
0
0
I have renamed the thread as this isn't a Poll discussion and the conversation inside the thread didn't really match the original title.

cheers,
Martin
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
Squares said:
Careful here...

I have had posts where I brought up Vino's doping past deleted by moderators.

Based on that, it seems that it is OK to make any thread that mentions LA or JB into one on doping, but if you talk about Vino (or Ricco for that matter) you get smacked down and your posts get deleted. This despite the fact that Vino and Ricco both served time for their doping offenses and LA only is rumored to be a doper.

You know damn well, I did that because you posted in the road race forum, in a thread not concerned with doping and you posted in such a manner just to incite a discussion about it and steer the discussion in a different manner.

Anyway: Vino, I don't know whether he's doping. I like to believe he's not, but I know enough to know that there is the likelihood that he is doping. But as is the case with most others, unless there are strong indicators that he is currently doping, I'd like to believe he is true
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
quarterdeck said:
Wat????????????
python said:
the mod will get back to you...i hope;)

thanks moderators for banning quaterdeck.

i don’t know why but i instantly had a hunch it was one of the previously banned members.

appreciate your work, moderators !!

vino ? is he doping now ?

well, i dont know. he's like all other returning suspended riders. he has a lot to lose personally and most importantly he will blemish the image as his country's ambassador if he does.
 
May 15, 2009
236
0
0
The only impression he's given me is if he can find a way to do it, he will. Like a journo recently wrote, I don't care if he is clean, "I wish he wasn't here, and I wish he wasn't winning".
 
Jul 20, 2010
38
0
0
Vino has never been high on my list for integrity. But, as there is no proof I guess everyone will just have to accept that he has trained hard and maybe got a little smarter.

Never been a big fan of his and even less so when he took the morally indignant stance of not apologising for blood doping. I guess that's just his way.

His arrogance will catch up with him like it does all these types of people.:rolleyes:
 
Jun 16, 2009
3,035
0
0
python said:
thanks moderators for banning quaterdeck.

i don’t know why but i instantly had a hunch it was one of the previously banned members.

appreciate your work, moderators !!

I wouldn't normally follow this up (and lets make this the last comment on it in this thread) but Quarterdeck was only one of 6 usernames that have been previously registered at that IP address and they had all been banned in the past.
 
Jul 29, 2010
431
0
0
Fowsto Cope-E said:
None of Vino's performances have really shown that he is doping. He won L-B-L because he attacked early with everyone watching Contador. This year, he doesn't seem nearly as strong as in 2007, but is constantly on the attack and having almost as much success.

Have to disagree. He went balls out attacking CONSECUTIVE days in the Tour, St. 12 and 13. The guy burns matches, and then miraculously the very next day he's got a brand new matchbook???

I look at a guy like Nicholas Roche, who I hope/pray is riding clean. Nicholas tried to respond to Vino's attacks on Stage 12 (and in San Sebastian) but just couldn't quite hold on. Tried but faded. To me that seems more "natural".

As far as Vino not being allowed to DS if he's busted again? C'mon, this is Kazahkstan. They won't name him as the DS. Instead he'll be hired as a team "consultant".

I sincerely doubt Vino's too worried about his future prospects w/i the Borat Cycling Project.
 
One would have to assume that Vino's passport variables match those of the rest of the peloton, if we hear nothing to the contrary in the near future.
So, in that respect, either he is riding clean, or at least, no dirtier than the rest of the cycling world.
Anecdotal evidence that Vino has the monster motor of an exceptional athlete.