• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Never saw this before but (great article that Walsh should read) apparently evans said the ventoux stage was so hard pre ventoux he was dying on the bike before the climb started.

Kind of conflicts with damages portrayal of the stage as easier than previous editions.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/07/16/hope-belief-and-chris-froome/

Good article.

I read this:

On Mont Ventoux he attacked 7.2km from the summit, and surged with serious venom at least three times. This came on the most difficult climb in the Tour, at the end of the longest stage of the race, where average speeds for the first four hours had approached 50km/h.

Followed by these stats:

Mt Ventoux, last 7.1 km 7.53% :
2000 Armstrong 21'32
2002 Armstrong 20'22
2009 Contador 20'31
2013 Froome 20'04

Followed by the headwind comments from Dan Martin for the last 2+km's.

red_flanders said:
^^^ And people wonder how I can form my opinion of Froome on his performances alone. Really.

Never mind the facts so well summarized by The Hitch.

Bear in mind the comments of BMC that day:

Bookwalter and Amaël Moinard said the team did its best to protect Evans before the punishing climb to the finish that averages 7.5 per cent. "It was very, very fast at the beginning and all day long," Moinard said. "Then, we all had to struggle to be in a good position at the bottom of the Ventoux. It was very hard. I think that everybody had to make great efforts to be in a good position at the bottom and then (from the bottom), it was very fast."

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/evans_exhausted_before_start_of_mont_ventoux_climb/

And Froome did what he did from 7.2km he climbed faster than almost anyone.

And into that final headwind as well.

After 50km p/h for the first 220km!

Now wonder Walsh has to play down this stage. He has to as looking at it any other way makes your jaw drop.

Digger said:
What annoys me is the sky fans, who are mostly British, having a go because I think Sky are doping...this would be fine if they had an issue with me saying 'I think Nibali or Roman or Roche are doping' - I have mentioned them btw...so my point is that it's all about national bias...it's the blindspot people have when it comes to their own...they can dress it up as saying I love cycling and don't want to accuse a rider without evidence, but in reality all it is, is them saying accuse anyone else, we don't care, but accuse our heroes and we'll come after you.

Dont think I have seen you post in an Astana or Saxo thread on here. You seem obseesed with one or two cyclists who happen to be British, and you seem like a women scorend with Walsh.

Anyway I hear you are a bit of a fanboy of a leg breaker, who allegedly assaults women too.

But of coursse you could never be a hypocrite could you.

thehog said:
Bear in mind the comments of BMC that day:

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/evans_exhausted_before_start_of_mont_ventoux_climb/

And Froome did what he did from 7.2km he climbed faster than almost anyone.

And into that final headwind as well.

After 50km p/h for the first 220km!

Now wonder Walsh has to play down this stage. He has to as looking at it any other way makes your jaw drop.

I thought there was a hurricane-like tailwind on the Ventoux as Henderson pointed out.

Looks like Henderson is grateful for Froome because of his good push during that Giro

del1962 said:
Dont think I have seen you post in an Astana or Saxo thread on here. You seem obseesed with one or two cyclists who happen to be British, and you seem like a women scorend with Walsh.

Anyway I hear you are a bit of a fanboy of a leg breaker, who allegedly assaults women too.

I love my fans!!

Who is the person I am a fan of btw?

del1962 said:

This has been discussed numerous times. Go complain in a Saxo, Movistar or Astana thread about how they're dirty dopers, and everyone will agree.

the sceptic said:
del calling other people hypocrites... that might be the ultimate irony.

One could observe that given the story that just came out yesterday, a major Wiggins fan- one who has even fabricated evidence to defend his hero, isn't really in a position to lecture people on which athletes they should or should not support.

One could argue that anyway.