• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 20, 2013
663
0
0
bobbins said:
And you can bet that these were carefully stage managed. Leinders whole involvement hasn't been covered and the rest of it is all smoke and mirrors. There's a reason Kimmage isn't working for them anymore.
Bobbins your :cool:
 
Oct 16, 2010
13,578
1
0
the sceptic said:
I wouldnt go that far. He isnt any worse than other journalists out there. Of course you can argue that the whole profession is a disgrace i guess.

Anyway, to me it looks like Walsh wasnt looking for reasons why they might be doping, he was looking for reasons why they are clean.
i wouldn't go that far either.
yet, the way walsh is now with regards to sky, that is definitely apologeticism at its worst.
there is a lot of neutral cycling reporting out there, and I prefer that anytime over walsh's current proactive skylove.
he doesn't need to call them out, but he could at least take a more neutral position.
and of course it is simply sad to see a good journo become a bad one, and it makes one wonder what walsh has been given in return for him to make a 180 like that.

a highly esteemed journo having been bought for a pr-campaign. it's probably not unprecedented (we know how Lance brought highly esteemed docs onto his pr-campaign). But still, it is a noteworthy story and symptomatic of the way Sky are trying to dominate cycling.
 
Jan 20, 2013
663
0
0
The Chicken said:
Let's remind ourselves of another LA quote...

“Walsh is the worst journalist I know. Ethics, standards, values, accuracy — these are of no interest to people like Walsh.”

Lance was right. :eek: Walsh is a disgrace to journalism. A disgrace.
;)........ :cool:.......
 
Sep 26, 2009
1,815
0
0
The About Turn

Walsh says in that interview - that because Sky had that 1 day where they decided to let the foot off the gas (in the Tour) that the media declared they were clean and that they then turned their attention to just Froome.

Where on earth did he get that idea from ??

He obviously wasn't reading any French or Italian newspapers while he was cocooned / enjoying the Sky Bus air conditioning.

One thing that IS obvious is his unease when talking about doping and Sky....his eyes are all over the place.
 
Oct 16, 2010
13,578
1
0
Cycle Chic said:
Walsh says in that interview - that because Sky had that 1 day where they decided to let the foot off the gas (in the Tour) that the media declared they were clean and that they then turned their attention to just Froome.

Where on earth did he get that idea from ??

He obviously wasn't reading any French or Italian newspapers while he was cocooned / enjoying the Sky Bus air conditioning.

One thing that IS obvious is his unease when talking about doping and Sky....his eyes are all over the place.
:D
it's true, i also noticed this.
some will dismiss it as irrelevant, but of course he knows he's selling hot air, and it's good to see he's uncomfortable with it.
 
Apr 20, 2012
4,238
0
0
David Walsh, the man that was convinced Michelle Smith was doping because of her performances.

David Walsh, the man that was convinced Armstrong was doping because of the man's performances.

David Walsh, the man that was convinced Contador was doping because of his performances.

Yes, David Walsh plays the same game as the Clinic Crowd, and is three for three, yet he refuses to play the game with Team Sky. He has re - become the fan with a typewriter, of which he has accused his fellow journalists time after time.

I found his twittering on the Giro and Tour disgusting, like a little kid who was allowed with both hands in the cookie jar. Thats no journalism mister Walsh, that is Fran Millar at best.

I dig he hasnt found any dirt on Team Sky and cant report on anything he hasnt seen but his lyric hero worshipping of Brailsford, Wiggins, Froome and anyone involved with Team Sky is sickening, to say the least. I personally dont think there is any connection with the Sunday Times being a Murdoch newspaper and Walsh's hero worshipping, he just forgot how to be a journalist after his golden goose got Ophra'd.
 
Aug 18, 2012
837
0
0
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
David Walsh, the man that was convinced Michelle Smith was doping because of her performances.

David Walsh, the man that was convinced Armstrong was doping because of the man's performances.

David Walsh, the man that was convinced Contador was doping because of his performances.
He called out Stephen Roche and Maurice Greene as well, vindicated on both.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6v0qlliFq8U&feature=relmfu

I almost think Walsh wants Sky to be clean so it makes it Lance look all the worse.
 
Jun 16, 2009
1,024
0
0
There is dirt around, you just have to know where to look and who to listen to.

The sky dream will come crashing down sooner than the Armstrong one did.

Wiggins is fragile, can't put himself through another couple of years like 2011/12, he'll get sidelined by the team and eventually shafted by Dave B.

Other will get flicked too and as in Armstrongs case, more outsiders will know than insiders.

What goes around, comes around. There is only so long they can control the press for.
 
Sep 26, 2009
1,815
0
0
Unfortunately there's no British press interested in cycling - least of all exposing any doping - the French and Italians will do that job...Antoine Vayer and Le Monde are well aware of Sky and whats going on.

The French authorities were the ones that pursued Armstrong NOT Walsh in my opinion.
 
Jun 16, 2009
1,024
0
0
Cycle Chic said:
Unfortunately there's no British press interested in cycling - least of all exposing any doping - the French and Italians will do that job...Antoine Vayer and Le Monde are well aware of Sky and whats going on.

The French authorities were the ones that pursued Armstrong NOT Walsh in my opinion.
Good point. L'equipe are probably still sore after messing up the story about the GB teams wheels at London. They'll get there in the end.
 
Aug 8, 2013
138
0
0
bobbins said:
The sky dream will come crashing down sooner than the Armstrong one did.

Wiggins is fragile, can't put himself through another couple of years like 2011/12, he'll get sidelined by the team and eventually shafted by Dave B.

Other will get flicked too and as in Armstrongs case, more outsiders will know than insiders.
it's obvious what's going on at sky unless a person is blind

-the french press will keep digging

-wiggins no..he stands to lose too much

...drug testing ..no chance of failing tests for sky

how many people know what's goin 'on

brailsford,
the select doped riders,
leinders?(maybe he's a red herring and not the mastermind at all?)

maybe only a few more involved in procurement and dispensing etc.

i'm sure they learnt plenty from armstrong on running a tight ship......


could be a long time...
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
David Walsh, the man that was convinced Michelle Smith was doping because of her performances.
And because she suddenly looked like a linebacker after marring a convicted doper shot putter
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Race Radio said:
And because she suddenly looked like a linebacker after marring a convicted doper shot putter
Yes, but let us apply that to Wiggins and Froome looking suddenly like they escaped Auswitz. Super skinny climbing and TTing better than all others woking with doping Doctor Gert Leinders. Froome coming from Gruppetto hanging onto vehicles to TdF win.

It is the same. Why does Walsh not see it?

Walsh has flown over the cuckoos nest on Sky.
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
Benotti69 said:
Yes, but let us apply that to Wiggins and Froome looking suddenly like they escaped Auswitz. Super skinny climbing and TTing better than all others woking with doping Doctor Gert Leinders. Froome coming from Gruppetto hanging onto vehicles to TdF win.

It is the same. Why does Walsh not see it?

Walsh has flown over the cuckoos nest on Sky.
Wiggins weight loss was dramatic. Froome not as much. Neither rider's transformation was remotely close to the transformation of Smith or even Armstrong.

There are certainly questions to be asked about Froome, and Quintana, but it is not as obvious the freak show that was Michelle Smith
 
Benotti69 said:
Yes, but let us apply that to Wiggins and Froome looking suddenly like they escaped Auswitz. Super skinny climbing and TTing better than all others woking with doping Doctor Gert Leinders. Froome coming from Gruppetto hanging onto vehicles to TdF win.

It is the same. Why does Walsh not see it?

Walsh has flown over the cuckoos nest on Sky.
Apparently thats normal :eek: nothing wrong with weighing the same as a teenage girl and prooducing the power of Michelle Smith on steroids :rolleyes:

And Froome after 220km was 12% off Mayo's ITT Time on Ventoux. I mean 5% :cool:
 
Race Radio said:
Wiggins weight loss was dramatic. Froome not as much. Neither rider's transformation was remotely close to the transformation of Smith or even Armstrong.

There are certainly questions to be asked about Froome, and Quintana, but it is not as obvious the freak show that was Michelle Smith
Froome is one of the most obvious dopers of the last decade. The only people who can't see that have the blinkers on.
 
Oct 16, 2010
13,578
1
0
Bronstein said:
Froome is one of the most obvious dopers of the last decade. The only people who can't see that have the blinkers on.
have to agree.
basically sky as a team is one of the most obvious doping teams of the last decade.
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
Cycle Chic said:
The French authorities were the ones that pursued Armstrong NOT Walsh in my opinion.
Unfortunately this was not the case. The French had the opportunity when a bag of drugs, syringes, and gauze was found dumped in 2000. They did nothing. They even launched an "Investigation" that "Cleared" him.
 
Transformation of Michelle Smith was easily explained. Steroids and what eve else. Gain muscle, gain strength. Easy.
Wiggins and Froome not so much. lose muscle, gain strength and endurance. Hmm. Not normal at all.
The only similarities are they were obviously doped.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Race Radio said:
Wiggins weight loss was dramatic. Froome not as much. Neither rider's transformation was remotely close to the transformation of Smith or even Armstrong.

There are certainly questions to be asked about Froome, and Quintana, but it is not as obvious the freak show that was Michelle Smith
I am sorry RR, but Froome was hanging onto motorbikes in the Giro. If the transformation from there to winning the TdF is not UNBELIEVABLE, then I dont know what is.

Froome's tranformation is greater than Armstrongs. Armstrong had won some big races. Froome nothing worth noting in cycling.

I think Froome's tranformation is equal to Smiths if not greater.

I suspect that Sky have a deal with McQuaid, not to disimilar to Armstrongs. Notification of OOC tests, intimate knowledge how to defeat tests etc etc and as we know the bio passport doesn't get past McQuaid's office if he doesn't want it.
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
Bronstein said:
Froome is one of the most obvious dopers of the last decade. The only people who can't see that have the blinkers on.
It is not as obvious as you may think. I have talked to a LOT of riders, directors, managers, and scientist about this as I try to figure it out. All of them have questions. For some it is the sudden improvement from Barloworld to Sky, others it is his (And Quintana's) performance on the Semnoz.....most have questions, but none share the level of conviction I see here.
 
Bronstein said:
Froome is one of the most obvious dopers of the last decade. The only people who can't see that have the blinkers on.
Think Race was beguiled by Richie. Or JV told him not to be skeptical.

Lance won a world title at 21. Froome won the Atomic Jock Race.

Sport the difference :rolleyes:
 
Race Radio said:
It is not as obvious as you may think. I have talked to a LOT of riders, directors, managers, and scientist about this as I try to figure it out. All of them have questions. For some it is the sudden improvement from Barloworld to Sky, others it is his (And Quintana's) performance on the Semnoz.....most have questions, but none share the level of conviction I see here.
Obviously I don't know who these people are and the nature of your relationship with them. Nonetheless, isn't it possible that at least some of these people aren't being as honest and forthcoming as you might like?

Has anyone you have spoken to given a plausible explanation for Froome's transformation during the 2011 Vuelta? The only way a rider can make such a sudden and significant improvement is by doping in my opinion.
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
Benotti69 said:
I am sorry RR, but Froome was hanging onto motorbikes in the Giro. If the transformation from there to winning the TdF is not UNBELIEVABLE, then I dont know what is.

Froome's tranformation is greater than Armstrongs. Armstrong had won some big races. Froome nothing worth noting in cycling.

I think Froome's tranformation is equal to Smiths if not greater.

I suspect that Sky have a deal with McQuaid, not to disimilar to Armstrongs. Notification of OOC tests, intimate knowledge how to defeat tests etc etc and as we know the bio passport doesn't get past McQuaid's office if he doesn't want it.
While I share your skepticism of Froome's Barloworld to Sky transformation (As do many others) I do not see it as being as extreme as Armstrong's or Smith's. Froome had a few top 10 MTF results while Armstrong would get dropped for minutes in every TT and MTF. Smith was barely in the top 100 in the world before she won 4 medals....while Froome was known as a guy who could climb, but also crashed all the time

If there is a conspiracy then it would have to be with UKAD, not the UCI.....and I see/hear no evidence of that.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS