• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
Unrepentant is an interesting word.
Riis came clean and explicitly apologized for his doping.

Walsh should explain why in his eyes Riis is any less repentant than, say, JV, let alone a guy like Johnny Weltz.

Has Riis ever gone through every detail of his doping as a rider and team manager to an anti-doping authority?

An apology isn't enough when the above isn't done.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Has Riis ever gone through every detail of his doping as a rider and team manager to an anti-doping authority?

Has David Millar? Has anyone else for that matter?

you can't single out Riis on this one.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
elduggo said:
Has David Millar? Has anyone else for that matter?

you can't single out Riis on this one.

I responded to a post in the context of Riis and JV being mentioned in the same breath.

That's not singling out Riis over others similarly. That being said, the day can't come soon enough when he's out of the sport for good. It goes for all his ilk.

Millar has addressed a lot more than Riis. Read his book.

gooner said:

Riis has participated in a thourough anti-doping investigation in Denmark (by Anti-Doping Denmark). So yes. He wasn't forced to participate but chose to do so anyway. The hearings are over but the work is still on-going. This investigation came about because of Michael Rasmussen's confessions/accusations etc.

No-one knows when the final report will be ready but a Danish paper says "soon" (that was May 2014!).

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
gooner said:
I responded to a post in the context of Riis and JV being mentioned in the same breath.

That's not singling out Riis over others similarly. That being said, the day can't come soon enough when he's out of the sport for good. It goes for all his ilk.

Millar has addressed a lot more than Riis. Read his book.

It's interesting how 2 people can read the same words and get totally different meaning.

JV and Millar specifically said to Lands: tell them the bare minimum they need to know, and no more.

Millar's book tells nothing of his doping, beyond a single incident as if all the other things he did in the middle of the doping era were done clean.

Er yeah no.

the sceptic said:
Walsh is working really hard to make Nibali sound like a doper without actually saying it out loud.. Could this guy be a bigger tool?

Yes he has gone to sublimanal messages. Trying rouse up the b**s into attacking Nibali.

Poor David. I think it's time he questioned his own reasoning for Sky's successes. If it really was all marginal gains surely the team without Froome could win a stage or even get close? Surely?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:

Walsh refers to Sky's doubters as the 'angry mob', but there he is throwing gratuite insults at Saxo and Astana.
he's applying double standards, don't you agree?

as you seem to agree that Riis is unrepentant, what's your take on guys like Weltz, Hesjedal, Julich, De Jongh, Leinders, and Yates? What about Knaven? Never tested positive?

i noticed you haven't addressed the posts by El Angliru and Dear Wiggo yet.
you're in nomansland trying to defend Walsh.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
Walsh refers to Sky's doubters as the 'angry mob', but there he is throwing gratuite insults at Saxo and Astana.

as you seem to agree that Riis is unrepentant, what's your take on guys like Weltz, Hesjedal, Julich, De Jongh, Leinders, and Yates? What about Knaven? Never tested positive?

Funny that most bots have gone quiet on Walsh now.

Remember in the beginning we had to read his articles and books before allowed to have an opinion on whether he was on the bandwagon or not. Good times.

sniper said:

Knaven has tested positive.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Millar's book tells nothing of his doping, beyond a single incident as if all the other things he did in the middle of the doping era were done clean.

Er yeah no.

thats what I was getting at. How are half-truths better than someone keeping completely silent?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
elduggo said:
thats what I was getting at. How are half-truths better than someone keeping completely silent?

They are not. Millar is trying to portray himself as Mr Redemption and a leader in cleaning up cycling where Riis has never apologised for his doping. Millar is hypocrite and a cheat, Riis is just a cheat.

Think David was a little stung by this one.

21j3klf.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
elduggo said:
Simon is lucky, at least walsh told him he was going to block him. He didn't tell me so I still have little idea why I'm blacklisted (though I am proud of it!)

walsh doesn't seem aware that he's choking his entire fanbase, singlehandedly throwing away all the credit the fans have rightfully given him.

sniper said:
walsh doesn't seem aware that he's choking his entire fanbase, singlehandedly throwing away all the credit the fans have rightfully given him.

At the start of the Tour Nibali was clean and he could believe.

Then Contador climbed 1.5km on a short hill to finish ahead of a Nibali and Walsh declared him clean. Astounding that he can tell that from such a short climb.

But then as the Tour dragged on as Sky went from bad to worse, Walsh got thought he'd start dropping hints about Nibali.

Walsh turned up the first rest day press conference with Sky. The journalists were bored and most didn't bother attend. He wanted to know why no questions about Nibali and the previous year there was about Sky?

Clearly he forgets Astana are MPCC and Sky are not.

He really is all over the place.

the sceptic said:
I think everyone that doesnt start their tweet with "Hi David, loved your book" gets blocked.

Someone needs to get in there and throw some bait. Start with: "Hi David, loved your book with Froome. I especially liked the part where you reveal Chris beat Contador before the 2011 Vuelta on a mountain stage. Can you tell us more?"

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/pa...ade-exposing-lance-armstrong-disillusion-tour

kimmage on walsh:
Last year Walsh published another book, this time on Team Sky, except this time the cynicism he traditionally expressed was missing. Instead “Inside Team Sky” read like a glorified press release and Kimmage couldn’t believe it.

“What he did was awful. Awful. I was appalled by it. Absolutely appalled. He got it wrong. We haven’t spoken in a year. That has been hard … really hard.”