• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 227 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
gooner said:
thehog said:
gooner said:

So Walsh stole the story from the Daily Mail writers to make a book of his own? All about Russian doping.

The man is cold. Cold.

From the bio section, it seems he's writing this based on Vitaliy and Yuliya Stepanova's own account to him. I don't think he's stealing anything.

Now, with award-winning journalist David Walsh, the man who broke the Lance Armstrong story

Uh huh, the man who broke the Lance Armstrong story... Is Waksh still pretending he broke the Lance Armstrong story to profit from it?

Cold.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
gooner said:
thehog said:
gooner said:

So Walsh stole the story from the Daily Mail writers to make a book of his own? All about Russian doping.

The man is cold. Cold.

From the bio section, it seems he's writing this based on Vitaliy and Yuliya Stepanova's own account to him. I don't think he's stealing anything.

Now, with award-winning journalist David Walsh, the man who broke the Lance Armstrong story

Uh huh, the man who broke the Lance Armstrong story... Is Waksh still pretending he broke the Lance Armstrong story to profit from it?

Cold.

That has nothing to do with what you said about stealing the story. How is it stealing the story when the Stepanovas are telling it. If you read the bio again, it seems a book primarily on their courage to come forward.

You left out the rest for context.

Now, with award-winning journalist David Walsh, the man who broke the Lance Armstrong story, they reveal the full truth of what went on in Russia, and the corrupt system that surrounded everything they did. But it is not only an unrivalled and comprehensive account of the biggest sporting scandal, it is a warm and human story of a couple fighting to tell the truth and to save their family at the same time.

Gooner, you are forgiven because you actually paid money to see the Program :)

Some classic Walsh here, letting Farah off the hook for his missed tests, nothing to see here :eek:

15s94r8.jpg

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
buckle said:
thehog said:

Some classic Walsh here, letting Farah off the hook for his missed tests, nothing to see here :eek:

15s94r8.jpg

Is there anything worse than an Irishman who goes native in the UK?

Yes.

There are many worse things. Bigotry being just one of them. It's always better to leave nationality out of things. Otherwise it makes you just as bad as the people you criticise.

Walsh is an almost unbelievable sellout. But his nationality is neither here nor there.

buckle said:
thehog said:

15s94r8.jpg

Is there anything worse than an Irishman who goes native in the UK?

I think Walsh is enjoying his remuneration package he receives from writing positives things about UK athletes. Mo has some notorious links to doping which Walsh would have flames Armstrong for.

Sad to see him become this bad. But I guess is has to keep the seniors happy on the cruises.

Re:

The Hitch said:
I feel sorry for the Stepanovas. They've put their trust in the wrong man. Walsh is precisely the kind of person who will sell them out to the highest bidder for 30 pieces of silver

Yes, Walsh will manage to weave a story about yellow butterflies into the death threats they've received. It will be an epic book.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
I feel sorry for the Stepanovas. They've put their trust in the wrong man. Walsh is precisely the kind of person who will sell them out to the highest bidder for 30 pieces of silver

Yes, the Stepanovas have a hard road ahead of them and need people they can trust to help them along it. Not the likes of Walsh.

Re:

The Hitch said:
this thread is a bit weird. Your making conclusions about Sky based on a letter he wrote about Armstrong?

Anyway i dont think Walsh is on the Sky bandwagon. For the faults i see in him, it must be remembered that he handled himself with immense honor and courage on the Armstrong thing for years. And i would not throw accusations at such a man lightly

Not weird anymore, me thinks.

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
The Hitch said:

Yes, the Stepanovas have a hard road ahead of them and need people they can trust to help them along it. Not the likes of Walsh.

The Stepanovs are just pawns in the game of political chess. That's all this is. They may be looking for actual honesty, but the people they went to aren't. Those people's goals were to politically, through sports, isolate Russia. I doubt Stepanova and her husband have ill will towards the Russian athletes. Seppelt, German state media ARD, the NYT, the mainstream media in the US, however, have ill will and you see how desperate they were to keep the Russians out of Rio. Since the Russians, at least everyone except the athletics team and weightlifting team were allowed to compete, those leeches will keep hammering away in hopes of keeping the Russians out of the next few international events (Olympics, World's, Euro's, etc) and I think the big one is taking away the 2018 World Cup from the Russians.

Stepanova herself failed a dope test and was suspended. I don't know if she would have talked had she never tested positive, and she sure wouldn't have gone to the US.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
Benotti69 said:
The Hitch said:

The Stepanovs are just pawns in the game of political chess. That's all this is. They may be looking for actual honesty, but the people they went to aren't. Those people's goals were to politically, through sports, isolate Russia. I doubt Stepanova and her husband have ill will towards the Russian athletes. Seppelt, German state media ARD, the NYT, the mainstream media in the US, however, have ill will and you see how desperate they were to keep the Russians out of Rio. Since the Russians, at least everyone except the athletics team and weightlifting team were allowed to compete, those leeches will keep hammering away in hopes of keeping the Russians out of the next few international events (Olympics, World's, Euro's, etc) and I think the big one is taking away the 2018 World Cup from the Russians.

Stepanova herself failed a dope test and was suspended. I don't know if she would have talked had she never tested positive, and she sure wouldn't have gone to the US.

I dont know the full story of Stepanova, but in the hierarchy of doping, the athletes is the bottom or near the bottom rung of the ladder. There are people out there deserving scorn, venom and hatred long before you reach the athlete.

"But the people in charge are basically raping their sports and the system for self-interest." Jack Robertson.

gooner said:
thehog said:
gooner said:
thehog said:
gooner said:

The man is cold. Cold.

Cold.

That has nothing to do with what you said about stealing the story. How is it stealing the story when the Stepanovas are telling it. If you read the bio again, it seems a book primarily on their courage to come forward.

You left out the rest for context.

Now, with award-winning journalist David Walsh, the man who broke the Lance Armstrong story, they reveal the full truth of what went on in Russia, and the corrupt system that surrounded everything they did. But it is not only an unrivalled and comprehensive account of the biggest sporting scandal, it is a warm and human story of a couple fighting to tell the truth and to save their family at the same time.

Will be interesting if Walsh talks about the failures of Coe and Reedie in the Russian doping scandal and how they ignored Stepanova's emails. He'll probably gloss over that and blame the Russians.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Will be interesting if Walsh talks about the failures of Coe and Reedie in the Russian doping scandal and how they ignored Stepanova's emails. He'll probably gloss over that and blame the Russians.
He'll maybe dedicate a few words to Coe/Reedie like he did with Brailsford and Leinders along the lines of "Dave should have done differently, but we all make mistakes and it's easy to criticize in hindsight", so basically apologizing for him. Pseudo-criticism.

Saw a clip of Walsh's Hollywood failure. The one he wanted to make him into a Hollywood star but bombed. :D

What was it called again?

Anyway, the clip is hillarious. Walsh's character is with other journos. The other journos ask
"why isn't it enough for you. That he was just the best of a great bunch"
Walsh's response
"because there is nothing in his record to support that. He used to get beaten by climbers easily, and today he destroyed them. Prior to this Tour, his best finish on a mountain stage was 39th. But now he's a man transformed into the finest climber I've ever seen. He's recovered from cancer and turned into bloody superman".

Other gems are Walsh then says to one of the journos "you are supposed to be a journalist" and later uses the argument "Tour race speeds have gone up".

Yeah, I think Walsh sold out straight. No way that man doesn't know Froome is 100% not legit.

sniper said:
thehog said:
He'll maybe dedicate a few words to Coe/Reedie like he did with Brailsford and Leinders along the lines of "Dave should have done differently, but we all make mistakes and it's easy to criticize in hindsight", so basically apologizing for him. Pseudo-criticism.

Likely Coe ans Reedie only let the Russians off the hook. They would have made sure UK testing was up to standard :lol:

The Hitch said:
Saw a clip of Walsh's Hollywood failure. The one he wanted to make him into a Hollywood star but bombed. :D

What was it called again?

Anyway, the clip is hillarious. Walsh's character is with other journos. The other journos ask
"why isn't it enough for you. That he was just the best of a great bunch"
Walsh's response
"because there is nothing in his record to support that. He used to get beaten by climbers easily, and today he destroyed them. Prior to this Tour, his best finish on a mountain stage was 39th. But now he's a man transformed into the finest climber I've ever seen. He's recovered from cancer and turned into bloody superman".

Other gems are Walsh then says to one of the journos "you are supposed to be a journalist" and later uses the argument "Tour race speeds have gone up".

Yeah, I think Walsh sold out straight. No way that man doesn't know Froome is 100% not legit.

Good news for Walsh, his movie wasn't he biggest flop in history... Lance's old buddy McConaughey has done worse :lol:

Matthew McConaughey's mercilessly derided The Sea of Trees makes just $2,730 in its first five days as it scores an abysmal 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

But The Sea of Trees, Matthew McConaughey's latest release, has suffered a horrific launch - bringing in just $2,730 in its first five days and scoring just 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Opening at just one cinema in the US, the film - which was universally panned by critics - has barely managed to make a dent in its production $25million cost.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So Walsh writes today about a paralympian taking a stand against TeamGB's cheating, but can't draw a line that if ParaTeamGb cheats why would TeamGB not cheat.

I suppose Sky don't have anything to do with paralympians.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
So Walsh writes today about a paralympian taking a stand against TeamGB's cheating, but can't draw a line that if ParaTeamGb cheats why would TeamGB not cheat.

I suppose Sky don't have anything to do with paralympians.
The "Wobblies" and the "gimps" are just some necessary evil they have to let use Shane Sutton's BC track. Otherwise, they wouldn't keep getting the lottery money they need for the proper cyclists to marginally gain their way to Olympic medal domination.

TRENDING THREADS