• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Barking. Wrong tree.

Ghostwriting is a fixed fee arangement. There's no 'commission', so Walsh gets paid exactly the same regardless of whether the book sells 1 copy or one million; the eventual downfall of froome or sky wouldn't change that by a penny.

It's certainly an 'interesting' move, and i'd like to hear his explanation - but presumably it's pretty simple - 'i did my own due diligence during 2013, imbedded - he passed. Simple as.'

Of course, Leinders passed due diliegence too, by all accounts.

YMMV

Balls. not. man

Just another piece of the Walsh is on the sky bandwagon puzzle. The book is trying to capture the jimmyfingers market. British fans that tune in in july to see the brits win.

I dont expect the D or L words to get mentioned often.

martinvickers said:
Presumably when the book is published it'll have "with David Walsh" right on the cover, or at the very least the front page...that being the usual.

okpw86.jpg

martinvickers said:
Presumably when the book is published it'll have "with David Walsh" right on the cover, or at the very least the front page...that being the usual.

Can't wait for the book! :rolleyes:

Author of the international best seller! Yikes!

51XRXQZlZlL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

After the victory of Bradley Wiggins and Team Sky in the 2012 Tour de France, the pressure was on the team to repeat their success in 2013. When Wiggins had to pull out of the defence of his yellow jersey, attention moved to Chris Froome, who had finished as runner-up the year before. Could he bring about back-to-back victories for the UK and for Team Sky? With team principal Sir Dave Brailsford at the helm, the levels of expectation were high. Nothing less than a win would do. Embedded within the team was top sportswriter David Walsh, who had been covering the sport for four decades. As the man who had done more than any other journalist to reveal the lies of Lance Armstrong, he has the reputation for exposing the dark secrets that cycling would want to keep hidden. His inside story, from how Team Sky prepared for the Tour de France through to Froome's emphatic victory, is supported by insights from all the key members of the team, and provides a definitive account of a dramatic race that gripped cycling fans around the world.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Balls. not. man

Sorry, I'm mystified, what personal comment did i make?

Just another piece of the Walsh is on the sky bandwagon puzzle. The book is trying to capture the jimmyfingers market. British fans that tune in in july to see the brits win.

I dont expect the D or L words to get mentioned often.

I'd be hard pressed to think of many ghostwritten sports autobios not aimed at the 'fan' market. May as well get annoyed at a dog for barking.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Barking. Wrong tree.

Ghostwriting is a fixed fee arangement. There's no 'commission', so Walsh gets paid exactly the same regardless of whether the book sells 1 copy or one million; the eventual downfall of froome or sky wouldn't change that by a penny.

It's certainly an 'interesting' move, and i'd like to hear his explanation - but presumably it's pretty simple - 'i did my own due diligence during 2013, imbedded - he passed. Simple as.'

Of course, Leinders passed due diliegence too, by all accounts.

YMMV

Doesn't look like a ghost written book to me.

Looks like a cha-ching cash in on Sky's success (and doping).

Boy is Walsh going to regret this when Sky (Froome/Wigans/Porte) get busted. Only saving grace is if Walsh bust's them.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Boy is Walsh going to regret this when Sky (Froome/Wigans/Porte) get busted. Only saving grace is if Walsh bust's them.

that's his cunning plan to cash in on team sky twice..

he'll make twice as much as he did with armstrong this way..

'inside team sky' on the way up

'8 deadly sins' on the way back

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Are you perhaps confusing the 'inside team sky' book with the rumoured Froome autobiography?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Are you perhaps confusing the 'inside team sky' book with the rumoured Froome autobiography?

You think Froome isn't going to want DAVID WALSH writ large on the cover giving the book that extra clean smell? Well Walsh can do a deal on book sales if he so chooses and i guess Froome would be happy to agree.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
You think Froome isn't going to want DAVID WALSH writ large on the cover giving the book that extra clean smell? Well Walsh can do a deal on book sales if he so chooses and i guess Froome would be happy to agree.

Not the way that industry works. Sorry to burst the bubble.

Benotti69 said:

Walsh really need to develop a rating system for clean teams. Something similar to Parkers points system for wines:

220px-Wine_bottle_rating_sign.JPG

A team would then need to hire and embed Walsh for a period of time which would result in an official rating that the team can use on books, jerseys and other marketing material.

The Walsh Clean Team Rating (R) aka WCTR.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Sorry, I'm mystified, what personal comment did i make?

I'd be hard pressed to think of many ghostwritten sports autobios not aimed at the 'fan' market. May as well get annoyed at a dog for barking.

Martin. Stop vortexing.

This thread is about whether Walsh is on the skys bandwagon or not.

What do you think Martin? Are you in the "I dont know" camp on this one as well?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
walsh' main argument why bradley won it clean in 2012 was bradley's 4th place for garmin in 2009, and that he thinks garmin are clean so by extension bradley was.
From 3:45 onwards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4tyw3t-Pk
I'm still not sure what his main argument is for believing in Froome, though.
Interesting how he still saw Contador as the main contender there, still unaware how Berty would get evaporated by Froome in '13.

And he hasn't twittered a word on hesjedal, of course.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
The Hitch said:
So what were they saying:confused:?

You honestly don't understand what they are saying :confused:

Wow. Seriously. Wow.

They are both disgusted. One threw up in their mouth a little - ie the thought / sight made them sick, literally as much as physically. The other is a lot more subtle, but the wow is a hint that they are surprised at his current actions.

Dear Wiggo said:
You honestly don't understand what they are saying :confused:

Wow. Seriously. Wow.

They are both disgusted. One threw up in their mouth a little - ie the thought / sight made them sick, literally as much as physically. The other is a lot more subtle, but the wow is a hint that they are surprised at his current actions.

As journalists I can see why they are upset.

But is Walsh still a journalist? I think he's full time on this Sky promotional gig now.

Pays well. Keep it up David.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

mikeoneill said:
that's his cunning plan to cash in on team sky twice..

he'll make twice as much as he did with armstrong this way..

'inside team sky' on the way up

'8 deadly sins' on the way back
taking on armstrong is small fry v taking on murdoch

wont happen

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I think the view is that he has become “too close” to the subject that he is writing objectively about. Probably the type of thing Lance would have done in the past. Invite a journalist on a ride to explain how to write his articles better.

Not sure conflict is the right word to use. I feel that there can’t possibly be objective when he is dinning and such with his subjects.

To be honest he’s not the SEC or an auditor. He is a journalist. Many of which do similar. Write lovely articles when being paid to do just that… write lovely articles.
hearst
news is what somebody does not want you to print. all the rest is advertising

blackcat said:
taking on armstrong is small fry v taking on murdoch

wont happen

You must have missed the whole phone hacking scandal then. Taking on Murdoch turned out to be fairly straightforward. It made him shut a paper and stopped him buying all of BSkyB. It was far more devastating to him than anything to do with cycling could be.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
So you a solicitor for the publishing world now :rolleyes:

Deals are done and Walsh has no doubt done a deal. No bubbles were involved.

I'm not a solicitor at all. What's your point, other than yet another badly misdirected personal dig? Are you in the publishing world?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Parker said:
You must have missed the whole phone hacking scandal then. Taking on Murdoch turned out to be fairly straightforward. It made him shut a paper and stopped him buying all of BSkyB. It was far more devastating to him than anything to do with cycling could be.
hes separated News and Fox so he would have another go at BSB with Fox, b4 he jumps off the mortal coil.

As you said, LEveson could take on Murdoch, and Cameron, and Downing st.

Walsh nope. He wont go up against Murdoch.

Dont think that Reid Albergotti at WSJ did not have a charged remit, to hit Armstrong, cos Armstrong had sued Murdoch's papers before.

Dont worry, Walsh will know about Murdoch and not bite the hand that feeds him.

blackcat said:
hearst
news is what somebody does not want you to print. all the rest is advertising
Are you sure you don't mean Orwell? Everyone else seems to want to wrongly attribute that quote to him.

No-one really knows who said it. Most likely Hearst or Lord Northcliffe - both of whom valued the story ahead of the truth.

I don't know what the fuss with Walsh having dinner with Froome is. Journalists do that all the time. That's how they learn stuff 'off the record'. By befriending sources.

The most famous inside source of all time - Mark Felt - was someone who Woodward and Bernstein had cultivated a relationship with over many years.

blackcat said:
Dont think that Reid Albergotti at WSJ did not have a charged remit, to hit Armstrong, cos Armstrong had sued Murdoch's papers before.

He didn't. My cousin's a fairly senior journalist at WSJ. Murdoch doesn't tell them what to write. That's a huge myth.

Albergotti probably got the story as he had had dinner with the right people somewhere down the line.

TRENDING THREADS