• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 130 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hfer07 said:
merda!! how could we have ever underestimated the almighty powers of NUTELA? :rolleyes:

Is its hidden formula even better that Beet root juice? :eek::D

You took the words right out of my mouth. (or the type right off of my fingers, or whatever)

The Chrises figured out the lethal combination, Nutella & Beet Root Juice. EPO & Hormones eat your heart out.

Almost full circle

698px-Boschsevendeadlysins.jpg

Too much believe in own ability? Not quite a sin perhaps, but Walsh really need to start looking in the mirror.

(great painter btw)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
"Dawg that stuff is no good for you. We’re here to eat the right food, and you bringing that to the table is lowering the dietary and nutritional standard.” I just thought that kind of attitude was impressive."

No Nutella here? Just good wine.

BYxtbWTCQAA5Y-c.jpg
Sky still dont quite know how to do the hookers and strippers quite like USPS and Yellow Rose

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Can't find the video, but Jens Voigt digs into the Nutella for breakfast not that long ago.

And considering the protein, fat and carbs present, the GI is going to be relatively low, and these guys need around 6000 calories / day to maintain weight - that's fat, protein and carbs.

I really don't think Nutella is going to be that big of a deal nutritionally.

The cake for me is denying DB mentioned Txema as a reason for hiring Leinders. Good grief. What happened to due diligence.

Dear Wiggo said:
Can't find the video, but Jens Voigt digs into the Nutella for breakfast not that long ago.

And considering the protein, fat and carbs present, the GI is going to be relatively low, and these guys need around 6000 calories / day to maintain weight - that's fat, protein and carbs.

I really don't think Nutella is going to be that big of a deal nutritionally.

The cake for me is denying DB mentioned Txema as a reason for hiring Leinders. Good grief. What happened to due diligence.

Yeah I think it's in Overcoming - himself and Julich are using the nutella

Dear god, David Walsh you are embarrassing yourself. Egregious errors in that interview:

- denying that Brailsford used Gonzales' death as an excuse, when that information is easily findable;

- using the 'he's not the kind of person who would dope' excuse as if Lance Armstrong was the only person who ever doped (hmm, what if Walsh had been 'embedded' with Tyler Hamilton and Christian Vande Velde and Dave Z on Postal?);

- using asinine examples like the (already classic in the realm of mini-memes on the clinic) 'Lopez didn't know you weren't supposed to eat Nutella on this superior team' to insultingly suggest this is why Sky is the best at a sport as demanding as cycling;

- brushing off the idea that people are suspicious of Sky only 'because they succeed' like US Postal, rather than the fact that their 2 Tour winners each underwent miraculous transformations;

- implying that if they were doping he would know it, seemingly using the same standards by which one would find teams were doping in the early 2000s, when riders still didn't feel like they had to go to great lengths to hide it and it was wide open enough that team-sponsored doping was well known in the peloton;

- using the 'I don't think it's fair to go digging into everyone's past' to brush away the problematic elements of Sky's 'zero tolerance' PR. Good 'investigative journalism' there, fanboy.

Seriously, I want to keep an open mind about Sky, I truly do. But they bury themselves time and again by Brailsford's half-truths and ultra-controlled information release, and then Walsh shoots himself and them in the foot by sounding disingenuous and hypocritical. I liked him because he 'stood up' to Armstrong, but I realize now that his career as an investigative journalist is in pursuit of whatever suits him best at the time. It doesn't take much to say 'there's this blindingly obvious thing that everyone knows! I'm going to write a book about it!' (in fact, it's shocking that others didn't do that either) Investigative journalism, in my understanding, is supposed to involve being skeptical and digging for alternate viewpoints, not hanging out with people who have every interest in appearing great and saying 'they're cool, I know because I hung out with them'.

Did anyone actually read the book and see if there are any passages where he talks to someone that's not on Sky? He talks about disgruntled employees in the interview, but does he say anything about them in the book?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
skidmark said:
Did anyone actually read the book and see if there are any passages where he talks to someone that's not on Sky? He talks about disgruntled employees in the interview, but does he say anything about them in the book?

From the interview:

"I think your question is an absolutely valid one and the answer is no, I'm not intimately acquainted with how other coaches in other teams operate. But I did listen to the Sky riders who came from other teams, and to a man, they all said the training at Team Sky was on another level to other teams."

As many have said before: PURE AWESOMENESS!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
Sky still dont quite know how to do the hookers and strippers quite like USPS and Yellow Rose
who'd have guessed.
starting to reminisce those usps days with all the crap coming out of walsh's mouth.

JMBeaushrimp said:
From the interview:

"I think your question is an absolutely valid one and the answer is no, I'm not intimately acquainted with how other coaches in other teams operate. But I did listen to the Sky riders who came from other teams, and to a man, they all said the training at Team Sky was on another level to other teams

Were any of those guys team leaders? Because its one thing for Walsh to make an argument that guys like Kiriyenka or Lopez train harder at Sky. How he can work out from that how hard Contador, Quintana, Nibali train (the riders who actually matter when it comes to discussing Froome) I don't know.

thehog said:
9a9xu0.jpg

Brilliant start to the book.

Walsh has no idea when the Tour starts.

July?

Did anyone proof read this book or was it made purely for profit?

Reminds me of when in the Simpsons Bart gets employed by the mafia and since Marge is worried she sends Homer to check out if the people Bart is hanging out with are cool. Homer plays cards with the mafia and they let him win every time by giving him free booze and showing him the cards in their hands.

Homer goes home with nothing but positive reviews about the upstanding citizens Bart is working for.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Sound familiar?:

"I find myself in the off season frustrated by the various scribes of cycling.

Here they are, professing to all and sundry that my heroes should be banished to myriad halls of ill repute and ill gotten gain...

As is my want, I shall suffer the indignities of these lower castes and truly struggle to reveal the heretofore fettered greatness of the Anglo civilization.

To the Continentals, Spaniards (who I differentiate as another class altogether), and Sub Americans I say, "NO!". No, I will not stay silent in these times of difficulty! I will strive to promulgate the variegated truths that only Team Sky can bring!

What of these allegations? That Froomes can shed enough weight so as Michelle could snap him over her knee. That the Angry Tasmanian can drop riders previously shown to perform super-human feats. That their team has banished, above all, the sweet nectar of Nutella!

To these allegations I say, "Shut the f*ck up. I'm trying to collect a nice paycheque here, and you're really messing up the narrative"."

Anyway, that's how it sounded in my head...

The Hitch said:
Were any of those guys team leaders? Because its one thing for Walsh to make an argument that guys like Kiriyenka or Lopez train harder at Sky. How he can work out from that how hard Contador, Quintana, Nibali train (the riders who actually matter when it comes to discussing Froome) I don't know.

More to the point.

DW: "Hi my name is David Walsh, anything you say may appear in print. First question. Is being at Sky better than your other teams?"

Rider: "Oh this team is the best by far. Better than my other teams. The training is better. This team that is paying me right now on a 2 year contract is great. The best team by far."

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
More to the point.

DW: "Hi my name is David Walsh, anything you say may appear in print. First question. Is being at Sky better than your other teams?"

Rider: "Oh this team is the best by far. Better than my other teams. The training is better. This team that is paying me right now on a 2 year contract is great. The best team by far."

That's the thing, isn't it.

All of these choads have been media trained to a certain degree.

Thanks for the hard digging, David.

Truly an unparalleled investigative journalist...

TRENDING THREADS