• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

is winning the TdF now a poisoned chalice...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
The myth of the hardworking athlete is perpetrated in large part so that those who are genetically blessed can rationalize their incredible luck. These athletes have no clue about what real dedication is, what you have to give up. Beginning, of course, with your ego.

Absolutely! All those lucky b*stards who won the genetic lottery have it made. I bet they're spending most of their time watching TV and eating sh*t-food. After all, they don't really need to train hard...

I think you're trying to promulgate your own 'myth'. One where the non-athlete is always superior to the super-athlete due to the latter's distance from your 'real world' of 9 to 5. Are you sure that you're not creating your own rationalization? Perhaps one that allows the 'real-worlders' to feel that their lives are full of more dedication and sacrifice than their sporting heroes?

Humans seem to have an innate need to kill their gods...

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Perreiro?

Perreiro is the exception that proves the rule.
And Floyd won that race BTW. But the best riders were all banned from even starting that year. Meddlesome organizers threw that race off kilter.

Roger Walkowiak & The 1956 Tour would have been a better example than Perreiro/Floyd...

"Walkowiak's win was poorly received by the professional peloton and the public. "The applause sounded like a lamentation", the organiser, Jacques Goddet, wrote in L'Équipe. The crowd was disappointed that the race had been won by an unknown and not by the rising star Jacques Anquetil, who had decided against riding."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Walkowiak

Merckx index said:
Yet he had time for Cheryl Crowe, Robin Williams, Matthew, and all the rest. Not to mention a marriage and mutliple kids etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etxc etc etc etc etc etc.

Lance did/does all that in ADDITION to training like a madman.
No one will ever accuse Lance of being a Slacker.
He is The Anti-Slacker boo.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Absolutely! All those lucky b*stards who won the genetic lottery have it made. I bet they're spending most of their time watching TV and eating sh*t-food. After all, they don't really need to train hard...

I think you're trying to promulgate your own 'myth'. One where the non-athlete is always superior to the super-athlete due to the latter's distance from your 'real world' of 9 to 5. Are you sure that you're not creating your own rationalization? Perhaps one that allows the 'real-worlders' to feel that their lives are full of more dedication and sacrifice than their sporting heroes?

Humans seem to have an innate need to kill their gods...

Hinault and LeMond were geneticlly gifted, gutsy, determined and trained hard.

If during the magnificient era of EPO/Blood doping and poly-drug enhancements other riders drank from the TdF chalice and found the holy grail so what. To me no different than any other pro sports. They still were great athletes and I am sure trained as hard as LeMond and Hinault.IMO.

I would love to compare the training schedules of LeMond, DiLucca and Landis. I would bet that they had similar wattages and hours per year/ hours suffered in training. I would also bet the training wattages were the same.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
Don't you think winning the TdF in itself is 'doing well' ?

not if you doped to win it. but when a rider wins that is him supposedly set for life, is it not? the acclaim, guaranteed big contract, appearance fees and most importantly to be recognised as a 'great', but it seems no one is achieving this 'greatness' without taint anymore after winning the worlds greatest yearly event!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
not if you doped to win it. but when a rider wins that is him supposedly set for life, is it not? the acclaim, guaranteed big contract, appearance fees and most importantly to be recognised as a 'great', but it seems no one is achieving this 'greatness' without taint anymore after winning the worlds greatest yearly event!

That is because the weenies have this issue with doping. Everytime one of my heroes gets a win he is accused by the weenies of doping. It really destroys sport, weenie journalists and weenie fans running around whispering about who dopes etc. It ruins the sport more than the doping.

flicker said:
That is because the weenies have this issue with doping. Everytime one of my heroes gets a win he is accused by the weenies of doping. It really destroys sport, weenie journalists and weenie fans running around whispering about who dopes etc. It ruins the sport more than the doping.

I'm speechless...........so a picture instead.
15nrcbk.jpg

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
15nrcbk.jpg

How the heck did you get your cat to wear a lime peel helmet hugh, I tried it with my Maine **** cat and I ended up in the hospital....

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
15nrcbk.jpg

The amerimullet is good for a USA chant or 2. Nice work Hugh. I thought the sign said "get a brain TDF fans".......Would be nice to have a TDF podium that had a chance not to be poison.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
'Nuff said.

I'm off to grow a mullet and a cool 'stash. And not to be ironic, but because they're so obviously beautiful...

JV should be checking this out for some style critique. He needs some help. There's a fine line between hipster-doofus and hill-billy chic...

JMBeaushrimp said:
'Nuff said.

I'm off to grow a mullet and a cool 'stash. And not to be ironic, but because they're so obviously beautiful...

JV should be checking this out for some style critique. He needs some help. There's a fine line between hipster-doofus and hill-billy chic...

Don't forget the t-shirt from some midwestern entry in one of the mainstream USA nondoping pro sports.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
That is a hollowed out melon, a lime would be way too small. No wonder your cat attacked you. Sheesh!

That's the problem! I've been trying limes, tomatillos, avocados, and any other unripe green fruit I could find...

Could have used this info a while ago. I'm still healing from my last attempt at shoving a hollowed out pommegranate on my cat's head. I'd expect better results from stuffing her in a pillowcase with a squirrel...

Anyone got some tips for healing arm and facial wounds?

JMBeaushrimp said:
That's the problem! I've been trying limes, tomatillos, avocados, and any other unripe green fruit I could find...

Could have used this info a while ago. I'm still healing from my last attempt at shoving a hollowed out pommegranate on my cat's head. I'd expect better results from stuffing her in a pillowcase with a squirrel...

Anyone got some tips for healing arm and facial wounds?

B12 shots......

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
How on earth do you characterize a 'pure athlete'? Is Lance a Jesse Owens?

When I look at Armstrong I see a pure sociopath.

To be pure, doesn't that infer no doping and absolutely no doping controversy?

Dave.

You can tell a sociopath by looking at them? Cool can I send you some photos of a couple of people I know. You need context to discover personality traits. They are not physical properties. I first saw LA when he was 18 racing in Gastown. He exuded athleticism and he was talented. You could discern that from looking at him. He had to actually talk before you got a hint at his personality.

Master50 said:
You can tell a sociopath by looking at them? Cool can I send you some photos of a couple of people I know. You need context to discover personality traits. They are not physical properties. I first saw LA when he was 18 racing in Gastown. He exuded athleticism and he was talented. You could discern that from looking at him. He had to actually talk before you got a hint at his personality.

:D

Did you see Eddie B ("Lance is my product") there as well?

Unfortunately, I must confess that I have looked beyond Lance in Lycra. There is a body of knowledge which is difficult to overlook that extends beyond Lance's tutelage from Eddie B.

BTW - Who won the 2007 version?

Dave.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
um, i wasnt aware lance has been busted for anything.
theres so many fu*king experts who thinks they have indisputable proof he did tho..

if you wanna where i stand, - i dont care if he did, its not my business!
yep - i have my own life.

danjo007 said:
um, i wasnt aware lance has been busted for anything.
theres so many fu*king experts who thinks they have indisputable proof he did tho..

if you wanna where i stand, - i dont care if he did, its not my business!
yep - i have my own life.

OK thanks for dropping by. I was just saying "I wonder what danjofreekinjamesbond007 thinks about this whole Lance situation?"
I think you should concentrate on that "own life" that you seem to think you have, because when you stick your head up out of that hole you are a bit like a deer in the headlights.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
:D

Did you see Eddie B ("Lance is my product") there as well?

Unfortunately, I must confess that I have looked beyond Lance in Lycra. There is a body of knowledge which is difficult to overlook that extends beyond Lance's tutelage from Eddie B.

BTW - Who won the 2007 version?

Dave.

Please Dave, we have come to the conclusion on the forum that Lance is all things wonderful !

Fred

TRENDING THREADS