• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Italian teams in Ireland?

Is there a specific reason why Ceramica Flaminia - Bossini Docce, Colnago - CSF Inox and De Rosa - Stac Plastic are all registered in Ireland? They all seem to be pure italian teams with 97% italian riders and italian sponsors so why the choice of registering in Ireland?

It just seems fishy to me as if they are deliberately avoiding the italian anti-doping agency. Could that be the case? Would they fall outside the jurisdiction of the italians by registering in Ireland?

ingsve said:
Is there a specific reason why Ceramica Flaminia - Bossini Docce, Colnago - CSF Inox and De Rosa - Stac Plastic are all registered in Ireland? They all seem to be pure italian teams with 97% italian riders and italian sponsors so why the choice of registering in Ireland?

It just seems fishy to me as if they are deliberately avoiding the italian anti-doping agency. Could that be the case? Would they fall outside the jurisdiction of the italians by registering in Ireland?

Tax.

blah blah blah.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure what the reason is, as I imagine most/all cycling teams are pretty much just money-pits which exist from receiving payments from sponsors and there probably isn't much in the way of annual profits to declare?

That said; in Ireland Corp tax had a headline rate of 12.5%, whereas Italy has one of 31.4%. Personal Tax is 20-41% in Ireland, versus 23-43% in Italy. VAT is 21% in Ireland and 20% in Italy.

The laws (and penalties) around sporting fraud do also differ though....

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
It also has to do with the cost of registering a team, minimum wage may also be a factor as Ireland has no minimum for neo-pro cyclists or established riders either.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Irish2009 said:
It also has to do with the cost of registering a team, minimum wage may also be a factor as Ireland has no minimum for neo-pro cyclists or established riders either.

Minimum wages for cycling teams are not set by the countries in which they are registered... but by the UCI as defined in the Joint Agreements between the UCI and the AIGCP. Unless there is a loophole that the Irish government provides?

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
It just seems fishy to me as if they are deliberately avoiding the italian anti-doping agency. Could that be the case?

I don't see how? Both proTour and proConti teams need to adhere to the UCI bio-passport program. That program is run independent of the ADA's. Its between the teams and the UCI. So it would be irrelevant where your team is registered.

When it comes to OOC testing by ADA's at the individual athlete level, this is done by the ADA of the country where the rider holds his licence. So its irrelevant where the rider lives or where his team is registered. ie If I'm Italian and have a racing licence issued by Italy, I can ride for an Irish registered team. I report my whereabouts to ADAMS - administered by WADA. I can live in Monaco. And I'm subject to out of competition testing by the Italian ADA - because my racing licence is issued in Italy. It confuses me :confused:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
shouldawouldacoulda said:
I don't see how? Both proTour and proConti teams need to adhere to the UCI bio-passport program. That program is run independent of the ADA's. Its between the teams and the UCI. So it would be irrelevant where your team is registered.

When it comes to OOC testing by ADA's at the individual athlete level, this is done by the ADA of the country where the rider holds his licence. So its irrelevant where the rider lives or where his team is registered. ie If I'm Italian and have a racing licence issued by Italy, I can ride for an Irish registered team. I report my whereabouts to ADAMS - administered by WADA. I can live in Monaco. And I'm subject to out of competition testing by the Italian ADA - because my racing licence is issued in Italy. It confuses me :confused:
For US racers you have a couple of issues. Must be out of the US for 330 days a year and make less than 90k to have a form of tax exempt status.Otherwise you pay tax on the amount over 90k. This covers 99.9% of all racers who make nowhere near that. You must still make minimum payments to social security and medicare even when out of the country. Lots of countries make you get a release from your federation to join another and you have to sign up saying that you can't contest national championships in the country where you have the license. Most big bike teams in the US are 501c3 non profits that have some bizarre way of saying that most of the work they do(race their bike) is part of a non-profit endeavor. Brits have all kinds of different tax rates depending on how many days you work in and out of country. I have seen paycheck stubs from Saturn and Navigators and the amounts on paper are not what people are pocketing. If you go 1099 in the US you had to be profitable for 2 years before you can start writing off mileage,cleaning,expenses. The IRS knows exactly who is and isn't a pro bike racer in the US it's all there on your W2.