• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"It's not witchhunting if you're actually guilty."

hrotha said:
Cobblestoned said:
I mentioned earlier that this clinic and most of it's staff is like a big, ugly, witchhunting propagandamachine.
It's not witchhunting if you're actually guilty.

This point is so important and apt I thought it deserved its own thread.

This is from Wikipedia:

The term "witch-hunt" is often used by analogy to refer to panic-induced searches for perceived wrong-doers other than witches. The best known example is probably the McCarthyist search for communists during the Cold War,[2][3] which was discredited partly through being compared to the Salem witch trials.[2] It is also often described when such a hunt for wrongdoers becomes abused, and a defendant can be convicted merely on an accusation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt

There is no panic here. The search is a rational sifting through facts and evidence. No one is making up stuff, or acting out of fear or desperation. There is no witch-hunt.

It should be noted that investigations of even the innocent are not witch-hunts if they are made based on reasonable suspicion, which is more than ample in the case of a certain Texan who goes by the name of Lance Armstrong.

Feel free to reference this thread any time anyone cries witch-hunt.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
r1bzwk.jpg

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not witchhunting if you're actually guilty?

I thought you are not actually guilty until the Witch Hunt is over.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I even know a holy hunting member of this forum with a proudly presented "witchhunter"-avatar.
So, you have to discuss that with him.

But i wouldn't be surprised if this member is wrong with his conclusion. :D

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
So.... all we need are some large scales and some ducks and we can determine once and for all if Lance is guilty?

But he turned me into a newt,

I got better

Edit: Damn you Darryl

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
It's not witchhunting if you're actually guilty?

I thought you are not actually guilty until the Witch Hunt is over.

Arguably, "It's not witch hunting if investigators are following a trail of evidence" would be a more accurate thread title - but 95's choice of title certainly has a catchier ring to it, as well as being a quote from another forum post.

And of course, someone had to publicly call the whole thing a "witch hunt" in the first place. It's a shame that person's grasp of the facts and/or understanding of the term's meaning is so lacking.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a fair cop....

hrotha said:
No. The trial finds you guilty in a legal sense, that doesn't mean you weren't guilty before.

Or the trial will find you NOT guilty.
What ARE the charges again?

"He turned me into a Doper!"

"Well, I got better...."

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
This point is so important and apt I thought it deserved its own thread.

This is from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt

There is no panic here. The search is a rational sifting through facts and evidence. No one is making up stuff, or acting out of fear or desperation. There is no witch-hunt.

It should be noted that investigations of even the innocent are not witch-hunts if they are made based on reasonable suspicion, which is more than ample in the case of a certain Texan who goes by the name of Lance Armstrong.

Feel free to reference this thread any time anyone cries witch-hunt.

good point

If we read into this more, Remember Lance's "I will co-operate it is is not a witch hunt" quote. (paraphrased)

If i read into that statement it sounds like he is saying that everyone was doing it and could be a slip and admission??? as it it wasn't just me....

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
**** Pound gets censored but damn you does not?:rolleyes:

Yeah, it is a bit inconsistent, I found out ******ed (think something similar to bothered) gets censored as well

Now let's just hope he weigsh as much as wood

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
powerste said:
Mods must get a looser filter. They pooled their resources and bought CN a new Sysmex testing machine. Coincidence? I think not.

If you want you can come by and you can see the receipt, but only through some binoculars and you can only see the back of it

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Yeah, it is a bit inconsistent, I found out ******ed (think something similar to bothered) gets censored as well

Now let's just hope he weigsh as much as wood

Novitsky is going for the floats like wood,
but weighs as much as a duck angle.

Subtle difference, but Novitsky knows his stuff.
Hard nosed, no nonsense. Investigative Genius.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Novitsky is going for the floats like wood,
but weighs as much as a duck angle.

Subtle difference, but Novitsky knows his stuff.
Hard nosed, no nonsense. Investigative Genius.

speaking of 'wood' are you not late for your 'polishing' gig...:rolleyes: