interesting. i tried to locate/google the primary source - either the team astana page or the kcf site - no success. the official team site is still advertising bru and the kfc site in english just does not come up.Publicus said:Looks like Astana has admitted that it screwed the pooch, but is working to try and retain AC. So at a minimum, AC has real leverage over the situation.
Publicus said:Looks like Astana has admitted that it screwed the pooch, but is working to try and retain AC. So at a minimum, AC has real leverage over the situation.
dimspace said:as i say.. with the khazaks money this could be the dream for AC.. stay at astana, and raid caisse and euskaltel of all the spanish riders he wants to join him... an opportunity to build his own tour team...
you could build a pretty damn good team from those two..
python said:interesting. i tried to locate/google the primary source - either the team astana page or the kcf site - no success. the official team site is still advertising bru and the kfc site in english just does not come up.
like everything about this team, it's either a mystery or uncertainty.
Publicus said:I think that's possible, if he's committed to staying with Astana for more than the remaining year on his contract. I think that's the rub. Does he go all in with a group that has flaked on him in the past, or find a team that will suit his needs for two years (my guess is he's not signing any more 3 year contracts unless they have buyout clauses)? Why raid CdE when he could join them? Of course the problem is what happens to Noval and Sweet Baby Jesus (Hernandez) who've been his support group at Astana (there's no need for them at CdE). Which opens the door for a team like Garmin or quietly Quick-Step. The Quick-Step option is actually growing on me the more I think about it.
“Our lawyers are studying all the details of the UCI regulations in order to make the right decision in the upcoming days,” says Fran Contador, the brother and manager of Alberto Contador, in reference to the apparent possibility of being able to break off the contract that ties the rider to the Astana team until 2011.
"The lawyers should clarify whether it’s possible to implement the new article introduced last July in the model contract proposed by the UCI for riders signing with a UCI ProTour team. According to experts, the interpretation of the law can be confusing and we want to be sure before making any decisions," Fran Contador confirmed.
Meanwhile, Alberto Contador is calmly continuing with his program and went out to train at mid-morning today, preparing for two criteriums this weekend, in Oviedo on Saturday, October 24 and in Alcobendas on Sunday, October 25.
“After all these months of waiting, I’m very calm about the latest news. My lawyers are the ones who have to dictate whether it’s possible to break my contract or not. I hope to know their opinion as soon as possible, as well as that of the experts at the UCI, in order to make a decision. Meanwhile, I’m continuing to work as I have so far, focusing exclusively on my preparation as an athlete. My brother’s the one who’s in charge of these other issues.”
Finally, Alberto Contador clarified that he does not want to advance an opinion. “Until I know the experts’ opinion, I’m not going to make any judgment about what I consider best for my future. For the moment I’ve got an existing contract with Team Astana,” he concluded. (AC press room)
Publicus said:This is probably the best summation I've seen of the situation and hints at some of the potential problems that may keep AC at Astana for 2010 (h/t podium cafe):
richwagmn said:UCI confirmed Contador can leave. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-confirms-contador-can-leave-astana