• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Its own thread; Contador to stay with Astana

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Looks like Astana has admitted that it screwed the pooch, but is working to try and retain AC. So at a minimum, AC has real leverage over the situation.

http://www.velonews.com/article/99522/astana-works-to-keep-its-star-rider
interesting. i tried to locate/google the primary source - either the team astana page or the kcf site - no success. the official team site is still advertising bru and the kfc site in english just does not come up.

like everything about this team, it's either a mystery or uncertainty.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Looks like Astana has admitted that it screwed the pooch, but is working to try and retain AC. So at a minimum, AC has real leverage over the situation.

http://www.velonews.com/article/99522/astana-works-to-keep-its-star-rider

as i say.. with the khazaks money this could be the dream for AC.. stay at astana, and raid caisse and euskaltel of all the spanish riders he wants to join him... an opportunity to build his own tour team...

you could build a pretty damn good team from those two..

dimspace said:
as i say.. with the khazaks money this could be the dream for AC.. stay at astana, and raid caisse and euskaltel of all the spanish riders he wants to join him... an opportunity to build his own tour team...

you could build a pretty damn good team from those two..

I think that's possible, if he's committed to staying with Astana for more than the remaining year on his contract. I think that's the rub. Does he go all in with a group that has flaked on him in the past, or find a team that will suit his needs for two years (my guess is he's not signing any more 3 year contracts unless they have buyout clauses)? Why raid CdE when he could join them? Of course the problem is what happens to Noval and Sweet Baby Jesus (Hernandez) who've been his support group at Astana (there's no need for them at CdE). Which opens the door for a team like Garmin or quietly Quick-Step. The Quick-Step option is actually growing on me the more I think about it.

python said:
interesting. i tried to locate/google the primary source - either the team astana page or the kcf site - no success. the official team site is still advertising bru and the kfc site in english just does not come up.

like everything about this team, it's either a mystery or uncertainty.

Contador's reaction in VeloNews suggests he's chomping at the bit to leave. Of course it's but a snippet of reaction.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
I think that's possible, if he's committed to staying with Astana for more than the remaining year on his contract. I think that's the rub. Does he go all in with a group that has flaked on him in the past, or find a team that will suit his needs for two years (my guess is he's not signing any more 3 year contracts unless they have buyout clauses)? Why raid CdE when he could join them? Of course the problem is what happens to Noval and Sweet Baby Jesus (Hernandez) who've been his support group at Astana (there's no need for them at CdE). Which opens the door for a team like Garmin or quietly Quick-Step. The Quick-Step option is actually growing on me the more I think about it.

because at the moment, he has the option to hand pick a team around him, if the khazacks have the money that is..

remember all those months ago vinos dream.. a spanish/khazack team, he picks the khazaks, and whoever AC wants in the way of spaniards they will try and get for him if they are available.. well the door just opened a little wider..

i might be wrong, and if he signs for garmin people can hardly say dim you where so stupid, cos im just trying to think outside the ballpark.. any idiot can pop up and say "hes going to garmin", or "all we be revealed on september the 5th"...

Alberto comments

Nothing that we haven't already been discussing, but here's the latest and greatest:

“Our lawyers are studying all the details of the UCI regulations in order to make the right decision in the upcoming days,” says Fran Contador, the brother and manager of Alberto Contador, in reference to the apparent possibility of being able to break off the contract that ties the rider to the Astana team until 2011.

"The lawyers should clarify whether it’s possible to implement the new article introduced last July in the model contract proposed by the UCI for riders signing with a UCI ProTour team. According to experts, the interpretation of the law can be confusing and we want to be sure before making any decisions," Fran Contador confirmed.

Meanwhile, Alberto Contador is calmly continuing with his program and went out to train at mid-morning today, preparing for two criteriums this weekend, in Oviedo on Saturday, October 24 and in Alcobendas on Sunday, October 25.

“After all these months of waiting, I’m very calm about the latest news. My lawyers are the ones who have to dictate whether it’s possible to break my contract or not. I hope to know their opinion as soon as possible, as well as that of the experts at the UCI, in order to make a decision. Meanwhile, I’m continuing to work as I have so far, focusing exclusively on my preparation as an athlete. My brother’s the one who’s in charge of these other issues.”

Finally, Alberto Contador clarified that he does not want to advance an opinion. “Until I know the experts’ opinion, I’m not going to make any judgment about what I consider best for my future. For the moment I’ve got an existing contract with Team Astana,” he concluded. (AC press room)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i'm glad berto approaches this with cool head.

let me advance a little theory. the way it looks, he would be well advised to stay with astana one more year, no more. of course if they build a solid team which does not appear a big problem with 6 or 7 spaniards almost signed up. if he moves now to another team he needs to secure at least a two year contract and i don't know if any one would be ready to fork out 6 mil euro it'd cost them. otoh, he can spend a year allowing alonso put together the contador's exclusive squad and move then. why not?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
This must be a terrible situation for Contador...

"Hi! Would you come to us, we offer you 2mil/season and all the support you need"
"Hi! Come to us. We'll pay you 2mil and you can bring 4 support riders with you"
"Hi! Are you interested in 2mil/season and support riders?"

I'd hate to choose between those :)

Status
Not open for further replies.