• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ITV4 Ned and David appreciation thread

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Having given an opinion on the Eurosport commentary on another thread, I couldn't see any thread abput the ITV4 commentary, so I just want to say how informative these two blokes are and how they are a definite improvement on the previous two (you know who, much as I was very fond of them).

David is so intelligent, knowledgeable and perceptive and Ned Boulting has good knowledge of that 'foreign stuff'.

Although Millar talks quickly, his diction is so precise, I don't have any trouble following him.

One gripe is that I would like the improved descriptions of the terrain and history that we got from Paul (even if he was just reading it out). See my username, the TdF for me is what it says, as well as all the cyclist chat.

I've really enjoyed the commentary. The two have gelled together much better than I thought they ever would. It's clear both are completely in love with road racing and Millar is race sharp still in his thinking and bang on the money much of the time. I hope it continues, i'm writing their boss an email in support anyway.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Cannibal72 said:
What's happened to P&P on ITV4, anyway?

ITV just stopped the using the world feed that P+P do and decided to use their own commentators, Ned and Dave already do the ITV4 races like Yorkshire and Britain.

Any particular reason (aside from the obvious fact that it's much much better)?

Cannibal72 said:
Pricey_sky said:
Cannibal72 said:

ITV just stopped the using the world feed that P+P do and decided to use their own commentators, Ned and Dave already do the ITV4 races like Yorkshire and Britain.

No particular reason that I've found, Ned and Dave have been doing the other races so perhaps they wanted a chance at the big one, They have done well to be fair.

Cannibal72 said:
Pricey_sky said:
Cannibal72 said:

It fits much better with their 'studio' team for links and they seem to be able to get people talking to them live during the race.

Pricey_sky said:
Cannibal72 said:
Pricey_sky said:
Cannibal72 said:

No particular reason that I've found, Ned and Dave have been doing the other races so perhaps they wanted a chance at the big one, They have done well to be fair.

I'm guessing that they have to pay for P + P too. Surely you only do that if it is literally your only option (including radio silence)? I've enjoyed Ned and David, hope it continues.

ITV4 used to buy in the Liggett and Sherwen’s commentary feed. They decided to do it in-house instead and doing a better job in my opinion. Their daily podcast stage review on Soundcloud is a nice interesting show too. Sounds like they record it soon after the TV show ends and usually have some interesting guests just chatting cycling. Pretty cool.

I've always liked Ned but it's very curious to pick Millar over other talented and articulate British cyclists that weren't rumbled for cheating. Setting that aside I'd grudgingly accept Millar has done okay and has some good insight. The Friebe guy filling in for Ned is also doing well at interviews and Imlach is his usual godlike self. It's a Sunset + Vine production though isn't it? They pretty much excel at any sport they turn their hand to in my experience, mainly by avoiding dumbing down at any cost and treating us like adults.

Re:

Fergoose said:
I've always liked Ned but it's very curious to pick Millar over other talented and articulate British cyclists that weren't rumbled for cheating. Setting that aside I'd grudgingly accept Millar has done okay and has some good insight. The Friebe guy filling in for Ned is also doing well at interviews and Imlach is his usual godlike self. It's a Sunset + Vine production though isn't it? They pretty much excel at any sport they turn their hand to in my experience, mainly by avoiding dumbing down at any cost and treating us like adults.

This just means he has better insight into the real world of cycling, making him a more knowledgeable commentator.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Fergoose said:

Just because the others haven't been rumbled doesn't make them less cheaty. But yes, Daniel Friebe is a pretty excellent journalist and Imlach's great.

Found this coverage pretty much by accident. They just had Pete Kennaugh on the phone and it was a laugh. Seriously the best english coverage I've found so far. Miles ahead of Kirby, don't think I ever listened to P+P. Ned and Dave work great together. And I like their post-race coverage way more than I do Ashley and Juan.

My only gripe is the loooooong-arsed commercial breaks with endless loan shark, insurance and van ads. ES wins on ads (German engineering for your hair!). Otherwise, I think I found the definitive alternative to Portuguese ES when I'm at work. :D

Don't watch english commentary anymore, but glad to hear the news that someone finally dropped P and P from commentary. Phil should have been banned from cycling 4 years ago on principle.

Even if the price is one of the greatest frauds and serial liars in the history of sport getting a commentary gig.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
Don't watch english commentary anymore, but glad to hear the news that someone finally dropped P and P from commentary. Phil should have been banned from cycling 4 years ago on principle.

Even if the price is one of the greatest frauds and serial liars in the history of sport getting a commentary gig.

Nowhere near.

Re:

The Hitch said:

Could you provide evidence of all your allegations against Ned Boulting?

A consequence of the Boardman family's tragedy is Jens Voigt becoming the post-race analyst. I thought he was with P+P? Certainly I remember hearing him doing stuff with them on TDU and/or American races for NBC. They had Millar do the analysis at least once and it was fine, but I guess they don't want Millar overkill. But it's a shame they had Voigt on to stink the joint out. One of the GCN guys would have been better, if they were available.

Re:

TMP402 said:
A consequence of the Boardman family's tragedy is Jens Voigt becoming the post-race analyst. I thought he was with P+P? Certainly I remember hearing him doing stuff with them on TDU and/or American races for NBC. They had Millar do the analysis at least once and it was fine, but I guess they don't want Millar overkill. But it's a shame they had Voigt on to stink the joint out. One of the GCN guys would have been better, if they were available.
Considering that both GCN and ITV are over in france, then it could have worked well. However both Dan and Matt who are the most logical to do it are linked to Eurosport.

Even somebody like Rob Hayles would be better, but he is doing the BBC Radio 5 comentating with Rob Hatch.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
100% agree. Ned and David have been amazing! Also shout out to the BBC Radio 5 commentary- I listened to a rest day programme by them on my way home from the Lake District and it was brilliantly done. I often disagree and then get irritated with some cycling pundits but both the Ned + Dave and the Radio 5 live guys have done a sterling job this year. Long may it continue.

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree that ITV4 coverage has been better than Eurosport this year IMO.

Kirby is occasionally funny 'place of bruising etc' but its easier on the ear to listen to ITV4 than the rambling Kirby/Kelly.
I only switch to Eurosport when ITV go to commercial.

Oh and Flecha is terrible in pre and post race coverage. ITV post race is miles slicker.

Still miss the channel 4 TDF tune from years ago though!

I've been with Eurosport for the tour until tonday. Watched the ITV4 retrospective tonight and thought that Ned and Dave were excellent. With Imlach it's a great team....fantastic insight of the sort that you don't get with Kirby. They just need to get their finger out and cover more WT cycling.

TRENDING THREADS