Jail time for Lance? Thoughts peeps?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2012
2,938
1
0
The expose on ABCs "Four Corners" went to considerable length to demonstrate Armstrong perjured himself in the deposition. On video he was very clearly informed it was a sworn deposition akin to being in court and he said he understood all that implied.

He straight out lied on several occasions to simple questions. Laughably on one occasion his eyes shot up to the left :D

The SCA lawyer who deposed him under oath did not seem in the least forgiving, I have no doubt whatsoever he will take delight in nailing Armstrongs hide to the barn door.

Armstrong is going to jail.
 
Oct 8, 2012
237
0
0
sittingbison said:
The expose on ABCs "Four Corners" went to considerable length to demonstrate Armstrong perjured himself in the deposition. On video he was very clearly informed it was a sworn deposition akin to being in court and he said he understood all that implied.

He straight out lied on several occasions to simple questions. Laughably on one occasion his eyes shot up to the left :D

The SCA lawyer who deposed him under oath did not seem in the least forgiving, I have no doubt whatsoever he will take delight in nailing Armstrongs hide to the barn door.

Armstrong is going to jail.


I agree. I have no doubt now that he will be going to jail. Nothing can stop that now. No amount of media manipulation by that lying sh't Tim Herman is going to stop that.
 
Big Daddy said:
I agree. I have no doubt now that he will be going to jail. Nothing can stop that now. No amount of media manipulation by that lying sh't Tim Herman is going to stop that.
His deposition was taken in 2005. Will the SOL save him.
 
cineteq said:
I think so...

David Walsh @DavidWalshST
Prediction: a group of people will take a Class Action against Livestrong to have their donations returned. Don't doubt this will happen.
Bam. Now will the chamois sniffers that attacked Floyd for the FFS feel the same way when their boy is taken to task for the same offense.
 
Oct 2, 2012
152
0
0
cineteq said:
David Walsh @DavidWalshST
Prediction: a group of people will take a Class Action against Livestrong to have their donations returned. Don't doubt this will happen.
I don't think this could go anywhere. The money donated was used to promote Cancer Awareness. That's what they said they do and that's what they do.
 
It was mentioned in the other thread but Martha Stewart soent some time in the slammer for way less.

Well it probably wasn't like a real slammer. She did have some great menu ideas and such though.

What would WonderBoy do in jail to get credit for good behaviour? Hhhmmmm I really can't think of a constructive thing he could do.
 
May 6, 2010
158
0
0
Sarcastic Wet Trout said:
I don't think this could go anywhere. The money donated was used to promote Cancer Awareness. That's what they said they do and that's what they do.
You wish.

It was also used to pay a lobbyist to lobby congress to eliminate anti-doping laws. You call that cancer awareness?

Dig deep enough and you will find all sorts of personal use of Livestrong funds by Lance Armstrong, if Livestrong used foundation money to fight antidoping laws, it's probably not the only case of blatant misuse of foundation money to be discovered. Most importantly, it was solicited with fraudulent representations concerning the foundation and its founder. How many times did he lie in order to convince people to give him money? How many times did he talk about his great comeback from cancer and tell people that if he could do it so could they, and won't they give him money? There's plenty of room for a class-action suit. Such a suit would probably force all kinds of Livestrong financial records into the open.
 
May 6, 2010
158
0
0
Big Daddy said:
If Armstrong admits to doping in an apology, would he have then admitted perjury?
Absolutely. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall an occasion of Lance Armstrong committing perjury in criminal court, only civil court. Very unlikely that a criminal perjury charge would be brought based on a false statement in a civil case. More likely, it will serve as fodder for more civil suits. If he does time, it won't be for perjury.

I'm still not seeing any media attention on the $40 million he got from the US Postal Service.
 
Oct 17, 2012
385
0
0
Love the Scenery said:
Absolutely. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall an occasion of Lance Armstrong committing perjury in criminal court, only civil court. Very unlikely that a criminal perjury charge would be brought based on a false statement in a civil case. More likely, it will serve as fodder for more civil suits. If he does time, it won't be for perjury.

I'm still not seeing any media attention on the $40 million he got from the US Postal Service.
Not so. There have been many people doing time for perjury in civil cases.
Lying under oath, is lying under oath!
Law depends on jurisdiction of course.

Although A footnote on that - it is 7 years in the UK - I do not know what sworn statements he made to courts in respect of the David Walsh "libel". I seem to remember SOL is only 5 years in US states in the main..may be wrong.
 
Oct 17, 2012
385
0
0
Love the Scenery said:
I'm still not seeing any media attention on the $40 million he got from the US Postal Service.
Nor will you. The feds decided they did not have a case.,
Nothing new came in the USADA documents.
 
May 6, 2010
158
0
0
Benotti69 said:
Obviuosly you have a link for how much money was spent on investigations?
That's actually a good point. You're right, I don't have precise knowledge of how much was spent on either investigation, Novitzky's or Tygart's. I'm assuming it can't possibly be more than 40 million, but no, I don't know for sure.
 
May 6, 2010
158
0
0
mountainrman said:
Too old. Outside the statute of limitations (I think)
SOL for perjury is extremely confusing for non-lawyers. Different from state to state, and different for different actions, that is, if you lie in a criminal case and someone goes to jail because of it, that's a felony, but if you lie in other contexts it's a misdemeanor. Also, in some cases the SOL begins to be calculated when the violation is discovered by authorities, not when it is committed. The lawyers will have to figure out exactly what can be brought and what not. Again, though, I don't think federal or state prosecutors will bother with this. It'll be the private civil suits that afflict Armstrong in coming years.
 
Jun 3, 2009
9
0
0
While the Feds get their investigation cranked back up, LA will get his new book
ready for the printer! Gots to replace that lost endorsement dough!
I can see it now...."Lance Rides Again...the Rough Road of Retirement"

It'll be a tell-all that sells 9 gazillion copies...in 31 languages! Ha!
 
Oct 8, 2012
237
0
0
Can you get jail time for perjury if the perjury only involved a civil case involving money and not a criminal case?
 
Jan 16, 2012
997
0
0
He won´t face any criminal charges, the feds blew it.
But that said, I would not mind wonderboy go behind bares, I think he would be popular in there.
 
Oct 17, 2012
385
0
0
Big Daddy said:
Can you get jail time for perjury if the perjury only involved a civil case involving money and not a criminal case?
Of course. Perjury is a criminal offense regardless, but I expect the SOL is out for the 1995 trial. That is probably why he pulled out of the "process" to avoid having to make statement under oath.

I doubt novitzky ever subpoeanad him , knowing he would hide behind the 5th.
But the others (including the oakley woman) probably were given immunity so that legally they HAD to talk. They do not have a choice if given immunity. Talk the whole truth or go to jail are the only 2 options if given immunity. So the lady of Oakley I suspect is off the hook.

This was after all a "get armstrong" not an attempt to be even handed. Thats why the punishments were so unfair and the likes of Hincapie were even allowed to ride the tour, which is not equitable.

Someone should scour the testimony he gave in ARMSTRONG vs USADA to see whether he says "I never doped" in any deposition made to Sparks. If he did - then you can expect the loud metal door to clang.

In the UK SOL is 7 years (is it 5 in Texas?) , so he like such as Jeffrey Archer is vulnerable to Perjury charges here Armstrong may be liable for any deposition he made in the "Walsh Case" - although I doubt he could be extradited for it, if the SOL is expired in his own country.
 
Oct 17, 2012
385
0
0
dpcowboy said:
While the Feds get their investigation cranked back up, LA will get his new book
ready for the printer! Gots to replace that lost endorsement dough!
I can see it now...."Lance Rides Again...the Rough Road of Retirement"

It'll be a tell-all that sells 9 gazillion copies...in 31 languages! Ha!
Will it be a book for the Cycling shelves, or another one for "fiction"?

Seriously , I think a tell all , with poceeds going to livestrong and his bully victims, might (just) get people to accept him again. If you speak to the general public, they are not as outraged as cycling - the attitude is "so what, they all dope in cycling don't they??" That means he could win respect back, if he does it right.

RIght now the biggest problem is if sponsors ask for money back amounting to even $100m
But since they all made a lot of money out of him, I doubt they would. Only SCA and otehr disgruntled bully victims, the sunday times, who will not let this rest. But (sa) $20m is still not a great problem. He has several houses and a jet that add up to a lot more than that, and I suspect he has been crafty about whose name the assets are in, just in case... He may have been planning risk limitation for this for a very long time.
 
May 12, 2011
241
0
0
Big Daddy said:
Nope. Armstrong is definitely not off the hook from stealing from the taxpayer. US Postal Service is a governmental agency which derives its funds directly from taxes.
Even if it were a governemnt agency, they have to prove damages. Saying you didn't get the results you wanted for advertising is a tough thing to do. I could make a great argument that they still get benefit from people discussing the name of the team nearly 10 years later.
 
May 12, 2011
241
0
0
Love the Scenery said:
Armstrong took the US Postal Service for $40 million and as we now know spent at least $1 million of it paying Michele Ferrari. Now THAT'S a waste of public funds, with the postal service in a major existential crisis.
No, it is not. USPS bought visibility and advertising. Once the team had the money, USPS no longer had any say is how it was spent. To prevail they would have to prove damages which I doubt they can do. Arguably, they got more advertising and exposure every year as his titles increased. Hence their return on investmet matches their increased expense.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY