• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fuglsang is going to miss the Ardennes classics as well. Apparently, it's still the epididymitis thing that causes the problems. At this point in his carreer, it's not the time to have longlasting problems like that.

Does he have trouble motivating himself, too?

Reading what Mike Woods went through with the same issue shows it should not be messed with. If Fuglsang is back racing at the start of May then that is a good result.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't see any improvement from Fuglsang. He was content with being 11th on a hilly stage in Hungary some weeks ago, and if that's his level, then we won't see him in the battle for podiums anytime soon.

I remember he said a couple of years ago that his numbers (watts etc) were just as good as they had been in his prime, and yet he didn't win as much. The chances of him improving those numbers are slim given his age.

As I mentioned in this thread earlier this year, I see signs of a decline in his motivation, and that hasn't changed after his recovery.

My guess is that he will participate in smaller races in the second half of this year, and in 2024, he might retire.

I don't see any improvement from Fuglsang. He was content with being 11th on a hilly stage in Hungary some weeks ago, and if that's his level, then we won't see him in the battle for podiums anytime soon.

I remember he said a couple of years ago that his numbers (watts etc) were just as good as they had been in his prime, and yet he didn't win as much. The chances of him improving those numbers are slim given his age.

As I mentioned in this thread earlier this year, I see signs of a decline in his motivation, and that hasn't changed after his recovery.

My guess is that he will participate in smaller races in the second half of this year, and in 2024, he might retire.

Yeah, that seems quite likely.

I mean he had parasites in his testicles.

Given his age, there are plenty of examples, when you're out injured you don't come back at full power anymore. You just lose that fitness being sidelined, that never comes back.

That was actually the special thing about Valverde or soccer player Lothar Matthäus with their comebacks after having a broken kneecap, cruciate ligament rupture respectively.

What a quiet summer for Fuglsang. I was expecting him to ride in Austria - he has previously won that race -, but his team isn't even participating. Surely, he'll be at the Tour de Wallonie. I wonder if he will be selected for the world championships. I can see at least ten Danish riders being stronger than him right now. And the route in Glasgow doesn't exactly scream Fuglsang.

• Wow
The thing is, just call a spade a spade. Viewers are not stupid. He just doesnt have the level anymore and that has been the case for quite a while. Danish cycling fans are not idiots despite what we sometimes read on Facebook etc.

I agree. I read Danskebjerge's post as being critical towards the fact that the Danish commentators didn't think that Fuglsang could have stayed on for a GC spot.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS