• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jasper Philipsen thread

About time he has his own space now I think after showing that TDU was no fluke. He was probably the most impressive of the youngsters at Nokere ... always prominent and showing good pace in the disrupted finale. He probably left himself too much to do. Looking forward to seeing him at his first Primavera, where he's riding in support of Gaviria and learning the ropes.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
He's much better than Evenepoel, that much was plain to see.
Yeah, Boonen was better than Contador too... in cobbled races. I mean, are you seriously comparing these two? First of all, Philipsen is 2 years olde. Secondly, he was the leader at UAE yesterday, while Evenepoel had to work for his teammates, and had to bridge a gap to the first peloton on his own, after being held up in a crash. In the final 8k he had to close a few gaps in the back of the peloton. Thirdly, he is a classics type of rider, very much like Boonen was (they called him the new Boonen even two years ago, with Boonen posting a twitter of the two of them doing some training together with the message "the old one and the new one"). Evenepoel will very likely not participate in races such as these, in two or three years, while these are the races tailormade for Philipsen.

Which isn't to say i think Philipsen is a great talent. I think he will turn out to be a new-improved Jasper Stuyven. One that can actually finish it off, unlike Stuyven. His sprint on Nokere Berg was the fastest of the guys competing for the win, but he had to come from too far behind.

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
DNP-Old said:
armchairclimber said:
He's much better than Evenepoel, that much was plain to see.
Nice way of getting some attention for this thread that otherwise would be collecting dust and tumbleweed.
I wouldn't go that far either, lol. The kid definitely has potential.
I know, no doubt about that either. I love Philipsen. Been on the bandwagon since he dominated a large portion of the spring classics as a junior with Acrog. He is showing signs of a slightly quicker, slightly worse climbing Van Avermaet. However, it's obvious why OP made that Evenepoel comment.

DNP-Old said:
He just turned 21 this month, what's he supposed to do at MSR?
Apparently it was more or less a demand of his during contract negotiations to start in the monuments and all the other spring classics.
:eek: ok...

And why would his age prevent him from being there in the final anyway? He has been pretty impressive so far - I would be surprised if he doesn't survive the climbs. It's not exactly Alpe d'Huez. And I know it's a long race, but that doesn't make it hard.

DNP-Old said:
He just turned 21 this month, what's he supposed to do at MSR?
Apparently it was more or less a demand of his during contract negotiations to start in the monuments and all the other spring classics.

Wow. That's some demand for a 20 year old. He was tweeting earlier in the week that he's basically there to learn and work for the team, but if he's still thereabouts at the top of the Poggio, I could see him getting involved with leading Kristoff and Gaviria out.

Bonimenier said:
150th at 13 minutes 36s

I think it would have been a more prudent choice to ride Handzame on friday. Hopefully he learned a few things.
Well, atleast he finished before Remco.
Yes, good point. Finishing before a rider that is not participating is indeed quite the feat.

Better than to finish behind them.

TRENDING THREADS