• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jay Vine - The Next Sella?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thanks. So it's more like 1 day of Padun plus 1 day of a Majka or Cummings (able to beat fresher top climbers on a stage almost straight after making an incredible stage winning effort). It's not quite the 2 Padun Dauphine days of smoking the entire GC on a level playing field.

It still absolutely beggars belief though. Although I'm open to a top talent in a non-major bike territory being overlooked until they post some stuff on Zwift I just can't get past a low salary guy beating full GC guys and backing it up almost immediately with another great effort.

Padun won his 2nd Dauphine stage from the breakaway, riding everyone off his wheel just like Vine did. I don't remember if he went as fast or faster than the GC riders on Joux-Plane though, which also might not be comparable because it was not a summit finish.

Nice move with his challenge fading from the breakaway on the final climb. Something like that definitely improves the image and casts doubts in the minds of guys like me. Hard to erase smoking GC guys going full tilt though.
He got a head start and that was a pretty weird climb I have to say. I read the result before watching, and thought it was impressive, but after watching, given the conditions (extremely low visibility, not that steep, cold/wet stage) I think there are a lot of other factors at play which could cause some to have an off day (as Rog did).

Another strong day from Vine that came up short of his ambitions. Another day to his credit in terms of his reputation.

maybe he will continue to grow into competing for GC podiums, but I don’t think today added much to that expectation. He pretty much took it easy yesterday but was caught by and passed by the GC guys who’ve been riding every stage, including by Mas, who was really gassed at the end of yesterday’s climb but still outperformed Vine today. Looks like he will be a great climber regardless, and those were two beautiful stages wins. And maybe next year year will get a chance to ride for GC?

maybe he will continue to grow into competing for GC podiums, but I don’t think today added much to that expectation. He pretty much took it easy yesterday but was caught by and passed by the GC guys who’ve been riding every stage, including by Mas, who was really gassed at the end of yesterday’s climb but still outperformed Vine today. Looks like he will be a great climber regardless, and those were two beautiful stages wins. And maybe next year year will get a chance to ride for GC?
I mean, if, as I've read here, he hadn't been picked to ride for several months I'd still argue his performance on that latest stage would exceed expectations. But yes, compared to some of his other performances it isnt inconsistent.

Reactions: Sciatic
Considering Vine went from regularly getting into breaks at last year's Vuelta to winning mountain stages impressively this year, there may be some more potential to improve.

Reactions: Sciatic

TRENDING THREADS