• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jeannie Longo - winning at 50 - how?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
Pre cancer he was a much heavier rider than he is now. Recovering from cancer he never regained those extra kilos which hampered his ability to climb the long mountain passes of the TDF. He also became more mentally focused.
I guess some people just see what they want to see.

Armstrong's weight has been conclusively shown to have been the same post cancer as it was pre-cancer. He has admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs. (Take a long hard look at the CSA case and Frankie and his wife's testimony) Almost every major athlete he competed against and beat has later been found to have used performance enhancing drugs.

Every other athlete in connection with Dr. Michelle Ferrari was undergoing a regimen of blood doping and performance enhancement via drugs under the doctor's supervision.

I guess some people just see what they want to see.:rolleyes:

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I was lucky enough to see her race twice. Seeing her on the bike 2 things are apparent.
1. Her face does look 60 or seventy years old
2. Her body looks 25 years old.
She is very very lean, unlike the other women who appear more chunky and muscular. Her legs aren't very big, but very sinewy. Her arms and upper body very skinny. She carries a lot less body fat than the others.
I don't remember seeing any other woman that looks physically equal.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
Armstrong was standing on the podium in senior level triathlons when he was just 15 years old. he was world professional road champion at 21.
Yes, Freddy Maertens win 3 WC, Kelly one, .... and so but they didn't win TDF.
Winning WC never proves that riders can win TDF.

To not be able to climb in the 4 first TDF shows that a rider will never win a TDF.
Could you post the Lance's performance of his 4 first TDF?
Why was he never named as a futur potential winner before meeting Ferrari?

Lance is a Riis!

beroepsrenner said:
Pre cancer he was a much heavier rider than he is now. Recovering from cancer he never regained those extra kilos which hampered his ability to climb the long mountain passes of the TDF.
False... he had a similar weight... just read the fake study of Dr. Coyle
According the "study" of Dr. Edward F. Coyle (University of Texas) :
* 11/1992 : 78,9 kg
* 01/1993 : 76,5 kg
* 09/1993 : 75,1 kg
* 08/1997 : 79,5 kg
* 09/1999 : 79,7 kg
beroepsrenner said:
He also became more mentally focused.
Funny... do you believe that other riders are not mentally focused?
Could that give 25% more power?

beroepsrenner said:
TRUE.
Do you see the Ferrari's juice effect after cancer?

titan_90 said:
Did you watch last years women's World Championship RR? That was one of the most exciting races I have ever seen male or female.

I'd like to add to it that Jeannie Finished 4th in the TT Olympics, whooping all those rookies asses big time.
I remember back in time that moment where she was kind of consoling Stephen Roche -both on the Podium in 87 ...:):)

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
Pre cancer he was a much heavier rider than he is now. Recovering from cancer he never regained those extra kilos which hampered his ability to climb the long mountain passes of the TDF.

oh that old chestnut again. some people :eek:

beroepsrenner said:

pot. kettle. black. :D

Jeannie is without the dought the winniest cyclist of all times. Whatever that really means for any of us it stands for itself that she has been a winner from the time she was a junior till now. She is a dedicated competitor who devoted her cycling life to beating records. When it comes to training, no other cyclist that i know put as much as she does. In the end she will have earned a place no others cyclist will ever claim

Watching Jeannie Longo win bike races is one of the few consistent sources of satisfaction I find in pro cycling. I've been following the sport since I was a little kid in the mid-80s, and a lot has changed since then -- the technology, the outfits, the tactics, the drugs -- but Longo kicking *** is something that's never changed, and I find it really comforting somehow.

I don't know what her secret is, but I think (and someone who knows more than I do should fill in the facts here) that she's got a really hardcore health-lifestyle -- living on an alpaca farm and growing all her own food or something.

(On a more cynical note, the results of the French time trial championships yesterday really seemed to sum up the dismal state French cycling is in: the two best time trialists in France right now are a 50 year old super-chamption from twenty years ago, and an amateur mountain biker.)

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Apparently she is a total health food .........don't want to use the word freak, but you know what I mean. I think she has always lived at altitude as well, through choice.

And she's skinny, very lean. Oddly enough, a super healthy organic diet, living in the country, being almost underweight and doing a lot of hard physical exercise are, allegedly, some of the key factors in living into a healthy old age.

A

Anonymous

what is lance doing in here...? thought it was a womens thread.. :D

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
Ive been there. Have you?

you've been where? :confused: had cancer and lost weight?

sorry, but you losing some fat off your gut can't quite be used as an explanation for armstrong's improved performances. :confused:

as outlined by others in this very thread, lance armstrong did not weigh any less post-cancer. definitely not enough to make a difference

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
Armstrong was standing on the podium in senior level triathlons when he was just 15 years old. he was world professional road champion at 21. Pre cancer he was a much heavier rider than he is now. Recovering from cancer he never regained those extra kilos which hampered his ability to climb the long mountain passes of the TDF. He also became more mentally focused.

You can come to one of my threads and comment if you want, but you should stay on topic. Its sort of an unwritten rule.