• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jenkin Road 33% - really?

The maximum steepness of a climb is rarely measured, and yet many climbs are said to have slopes of 20, 25, or even 30 percent, without anybody really knowing where that number comes from. Sometimes I get the impression that it's just someone's guess.

I'm not saying that this is the case with Jenkin Road, a climb featuring in stage 2 of this year's Tour de France. But do we know for sure that it's maxing out at 33%, as mentioned by many websites and media?

I did a small comparison. I found a picture I once took at one of Denmark's most well-known climbs, Kiddesvej (max 19 percent), and combined that with a photo of Jenkin Road, showing the place which is often said to be the steepest.

Kiddesvej has a slope of around 15 percent here (blue line) - and so the angle of the section of Jenkin Road (red line) should be at least twice as steep. But it's not really close, is it?

jenkinroadvskiddesvej-medium.jpg

Of course, photos is not the best way to assess slopes - but does anyone have more accurate evidence from Jenkin Road?

/Jacob, Danskebjerge.dk

More about Tour climbs here: http://www.danskebjerge.dk/article-categories-2014-1.htm

argyllflyer said:
One of the Downing brothers rode it for In-cycle and said it was not as much as that.

Sounds right.
Slopes of more than 30 percent are extremely rare in cities - they may be interesting for cycling enthusiasts, but to most people such streets must be annoying, so why build them. :)

I'd say 25 percent is a good guess, when it comes to Jenkin Road.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Cycling is usually all about cardiovascular fitness except for the sprinters but the thing about Jenkin Rd is that it comes at the end of a long and tough stage that's likely to be raced at a frenetic pace thanks to the lack of a prologue. That'll mean max power output will come into play much more than usual, and climbs of this length and severity have huge importance in classics for example. So even if it's over-sold it's definitely significant.

If the GC teams cooperate to control the stage it'll possibly be a damp squib, but I can't see the others giving Sky a hand. If the pace is fast throughout with lots of attacks, even a single rider could break away here. More likely, 2-4 riders would be unbeatable if they're feeling strong and cooperate for the final 4kms. One or two of those could be GC contenders who'd sacrifice their stage chances to put in maximum effort all the way to the line. An advantage of forty seconds or more is an entirely realistic outcome (think how much Costa, Rodriguez, Nibali and Valverde would have put into the field if they raced solely for time at the World's last year).

That's something to look forward to IMO as this sort of racing is much more interesting than MTFs which are great but dominate the GTs to excess.

dduff442 said:
Cycling is usually all about cardiovascular fitness except for the sprinters but the thing about Jenkin Rd is that it comes at the end of a long and tough stage that's likely to be raced at a frenetic pace thanks to the lack of a prologue. That'll mean max power output will come into play much more than usual, and climbs of this length and severity have huge importance in classics for example. So even if it's over-sold it's definitely significant.

If the GC teams cooperate to control the stage it'll possibly be a damp squib, but I can't see the others giving Sky a hand. If the pace is fast throughout with lots of attacks, even a single rider could break away here. More likely, 2-4 riders would be unbeatable if they're feeling strong and cooperate for the final 4kms. One or two of those could be GC contenders who'd sacrifice their stage chances to put in maximum effort all the way to the line. An advantage of forty seconds or more is an entirely realistic outcome (think how much Costa, Rodriguez, Nibali and Valverde would have put into the field if they raced solely for time at the World's last year).

That's something to look forward to IMO as this sort of racing is much more interesting than MTFs which are great but dominate the GTs to excess.

It is more likely that teams like Cannondale and Orica will try to control the stage for Sagan and Gerrans, giving them the chance of yellow, even Giant for Degenkolb

del1962 said:
It is more likely that teams like Cannondale and Orica will try to control the stage for Sagan and Gerrans, giving them the chance of yellow, even Giant for Degenkolb

It will be interesting to see how hard this stage is raced, hopefully its really hectic and we are left with every man for himself up Jenkin Road. Hopefully not another repeat of LBL where there was still a big group together in the final. If That's the case Gerrans or Sagan will surely win.

Danskebjerge said:
Sounds right.
Slopes of more than 30 percent are extremely rare in cities - they may be interesting for cycling enthusiasts, but to most people such streets must be annoying, so why build them. :)

I'd say 25 percent is a good guess, when it comes to Jenkin Road.

Speaking as a Postman, houses in English cities are often built on incredibly annoying, steep slopes:)

For a second stage, it could be spectacular. Bit of a shame if it came down to this climb alone in some ways

So many chances for attacking on the stage. The GC teams should be nervous as hell. Could be a great opportunity for a breakaway group?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm with manafana, maximums are tricky as you never know what period they are over, 33% over 1 m who cares, 33% for 100, different story. The steepest section shown in that interactive view is 21.6 for 22m. So the 33% quoted (if it exists) is shorter than 22m. Rain will change things on this climb, if a tired peloton hits it it'll make a real mark, if the peloton has been controlled all day like Liege there'll be a few scurry over reeled in before the finish, and we'll still have our reduced field sprint.

Cookster15 said:
For sure. The wet road means you can't ride out of the saddle or your rear wheel will likely slip! But getting back to the photo I'd guess it looks more like 25% (1 in 4) than 33% (1 in 3).

Yes. And it's not a question of how long the section is, as others have written. The slope of a street doesn't suddenly go from 20 to 30 percent, and back.

I've watched a YouTube-video from a ride on Jenkin Road - it didn't change much. Still doesn't look like 30 percent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoAWz9aWnk

Having watched the ascent today at Jenkin Road, I'm even more certain than before: that climb's maximum gradient is not 30 or 33 percent - 25 percent seems much more accurate.

That's a big difference.

Unfortunately, the error - that's what I dare to call it - was repeated on TV by journalists.

i cant see how it could be 30%+ because if you remember that stage in T-A this year when Contador won at the top of a 1 in 3 climb, they were weaving from side to side going walking pace up that whereas today they were never really struggling to go forward.

Danskebjerge said:
Having watched the ascent today at Jenkin Road, I'm even more certain than before: that climb's maximum gradient is not 30 or 33 percent - 25 percent seems much more accurate.

That's a big difference.

Unfortunately, the error - that's what I dare to call it - was repeated on TV by journalists.

In all fairness, Rolf Sørensen, commenting for Danish TV2, did try to point out that focusing on the 33 % was overselling it. He rode the climb himself and compared to Mur de Huy, only shorter.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
willbick said:
i cant see how it could be 30%+ because if you remember that stage in T-A this year when Contador won at the top of a 1 in 3 climb, they were weaving from side to side going walking pace up that whereas today they were never really struggling to go forward.

yeah, it's ridiculous. Maybe there is a one meter section or something, not enough to be felt... I don't know minimum distance for maximum gradients should be at least 10 meters. Than you would have seen that the max max was probably something like 23/24% and just for something like 50 meters.

That Tirreno climb was completely different, you had a few hundred meters not going below 25/30%. Enough to lose all your momentum.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pulpstar said:
Not sure if its 25 or 33% but it was bloody hard work to haul my combined 110 kg ***+bike up it :eek:

Got up without stopping for a big cheer from everyone on Sunday morning though :D
Well done:),otoh you should shake down few kg before you'll ride up some passo one day:D

TRENDING THREADS