• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jens Voight true professional

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I never knew that Phil and Paul butchered the pronunciation of his name so badly. If he were just an obscure rider it would be one thing, but he is probably their favorite after Armstrong (though Hincapie and Cav are right there with him).

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
I never knew that Phil and Paul butchered the pronunciation of his name so badly. If he were just an obscure rider it would be one thing, but he is probably their favorite after Armstrong (though Hincapie and Cav are right there with him).

Never heard of anyone being accused of being a Jensi fanboy all the same!:D Go Jensi!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
That's a true masterpiece by Bjarne Riis on that stage. Jens Dropping Valverde and Cunego on the climb. Then Fabian falls back from the breakaway and pulls through the valley.
Jens dropping Cunego and Valverde is a fricking masterpiece by doctors, not Riis. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Jens dropping Cunego and Valverde is a fricking masterpiece by doctors, not Riis. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thank god someone said that. HOW THE **** DID JENS GET SUCH A SQUEEKY CLEAN REP?

It ****s me.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
Thank god someone said that. HOW THE **** DID JENS GET SUCH A SQUEEKY CLEAN REP?

It ****s me.

because of Frickin Phil Liggett talking him up all the time. And talking about doping as just a few bad apples.

For Jens, perfluorocarbons, are not some global warming climate change emission, but a rocket fuel like Museeuw and Gianetti.

Funniest Jens moment to me was actually taken off youtube. It was done by a Der Spiegel and some comic show, probably like Daily Show, in Germany, where the comic asked the riders at Deutschland Rund, "did you dope today?". Jens was apoplectic. So was Bobby Julich, asking for the name, and licence number of the journo/comic. They had a blacklist too at CSC.

There was a guy from Wiesenhof who took it in good spirits, and looked genuine, saying his result meant he should have. Robbie Mcewen's guy Nick Gates was ****ed off tho, but not as bad as Jens and Julich.

To me, that says more about Jens, than all the Liggett platitudes. And there was also the instance in 1998, where he told Jorg Jaksche that the Gan guys buried their dope, along the route.

So, in this demonstration, Jens is the consummate professional.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
devils advocate, but why does jens dropping valverde up a hill mean he doped? did he beat valverde to the top? or just pull himself inside out for 5 minutes or something part way up a climb? He's climbed well and won things like the tour of germany. We all know he's a monster on the flat, but never features high in TTs, maybe like the TTs he knows what he can win and what he can't and meters effort effectively, most here know the 20th best climber doesn't come 20th in the tour.

Having said more than likely its all these and he doped.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

Uh sorry I thought it was prohibited to discuss doping in this section of the forum. I was merely refering to the tactic. Apparantly it took the rest of the peloton by surprise.

Quote from the stage report:

Behind, Valverde, Cunego and several others were in trouble, with relentless driving by Jens Voigt (Team CSC – Saxo Bank) doing much of the damage. Cancellara was caught by this group and he joined with Voigt, the duo driving hard for the Schleck brothers and Carlos Sastre in order to stop Cunego and Valverde getting back on.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=results/tour0810

Whether or not Jens is clean is a whole different discussion. And I don't think this is the proper place for it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Uh sorry I thought it was prohibited to discuss doping in this section of the forum. I was merely refering to the tactic. Apparantly it took the rest of the peloton by surprise.

Quote from the stage report:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=results/tour0810

Whether or not Jens is clean is a whole different discussion. And I don't think this is the proper place for it.

nope, no need for a dicussion. fait accompli

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:

Couldn't agree more. Back to topic...

To hear him talk about the whole mind-body battle at the limit, great stuff. For those who have reached that in a race, and love the sport because of it, priceless, motivating. You can really see this guy loves what he's doing, and why he's so good.

"Your lungs are burning, and you have this taste of blood in your mouth..."

Well, maybe never reached that! :eek:

I agree that Jen's past is definately less than pristine and he certainly comes across as an enforcer of Omerta at times but he is one of the real characters of the peloton and a very funny guy.

One of my favorite Jens quotes was last year at the TdF when he was asked if Andy Schleck could still win the Tour after Verbier. His response was priceless:

"Well maybe if 4 or 5 Astana riders get taken by a bear in the Pyrenees... then we'll just SMOKE it in!"

Quote of the tour IMO!

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Behind, Valverde, Cunego and several others were in trouble, with relentless driving by Jens Voigt (Team CSC – Saxo Bank) doing much of the damage. Cancellara was caught by this group and he joined with Voigt, the duo driving hard for the Schleck brothers and Carlos Sastre in order to stop Cunego and Valverde getting back on.

SO what people are saying that 2 of the guys that are KNOWN to be the biggest engines in the peloton, working together for a brief period of time to drop 1 mediocre and 1 good-ish climber to stop them getting back on means they are doping? How utterly ridiculous

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ScottyMuser said:
SO what people are saying that 2 of the guys that are KNOWN to be the biggest engines in the peloton, working together for a brief period of time to drop 1 mediocre and 1 good-ish climber to stop them getting back on means they are doping? How utterly ridiculous

No. People are referring to the tall heavy non-climber dropping one of the world's best climbers on a mountain slope.

Granted, they would be smarter to mention the same heavyweight dropping the entire peloton of climbers on one of the hardest climbs in europe in 2007. The same time as the episode of CSC using PFCs that Kohl recounted.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
No. People are referring to the tall heavy non-climber dropping one of the world's best climbers on a mountain slope.

Granted, they would be smarter to mention the same heavyweight dropping the entire peloton of climbers on one of the hardest climbs in europe in 2007. The same time as the episode of CSC using PFCs that Kohl recounted.

I'm not questioning Valverde's talent. probably the biggest in the peloton, but when Valverde has a bad day in the mountains I wouldn't rate him among the best climbers in the world.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
I'm not questioning Valverde's talent. probably the biggest in the peloton, but when Valverde has a bad day in the mountains I wouldn't rate him among the best climbers in the world.

I think he was talking about Damiano? Isn't he more of the pure climber type?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Perhaps... but they both suck when it comes to consistency. Both riders should have been able hang on.

didn't Cunego ride well in the Giro that year? maybe be peaked early and he didn't do much in that tour from memory. Valverde also had a crash and wasn't riding that well in 08. That's why they got dropped and Evans' and co didn't.

part of that clip Jens mentions saving energy in week 1, riding conservative for an all out attack which occurred on that stage.