• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almeida is the best in the world at pacing himself .

As i said it before many times, besides his good iTT and fighting spirit he is amazing at pacing himself at high mountains (very unusual to see at his age). At one point he was left behind by Formolo, Nibali and Pedrero and he simply paced himself until he slowly started to catch them, one by one...

I think stage 4 was just the perfect storm for him to lose time.

He had a bad day, mixed with everything that is happening inside the team and he probably just couldn't handle it mentally.

If he keeps like this he will make the top 10 but I don't see him climbing any more places due to the time diferences.
He’s 10th after today. 2.35 ahead of Formolo in 11th, 2’ behind Foss, 3’ behind Martinez, 5’ behind Bardet. He probably won’t lose places, and his best hope of gaining spots is if Martinez has to have a sacrifice day to work for Bernal.

I think stage 4 was just the perfect storm for him to lose time.

He had a bad day, mixed with everything that is happening inside the team and he probably just couldn't handle it mentally.

If he keeps like this he will make the top 10 but I don't see him climbing any more places due to the time diferences.

Just Tobias Foss the others GC riders only if they crack in one of the final stages. For the last iTT he need to be with 1 minute ahead of Tobias just to be sure. To the other Top10 riders he will gain something between 1 and 2 minutes in the final iTT

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Why didn't he just stay with Foss then? :confused:

He finished together with Knox and Serry btw, they did not give up on him in stage 4...

Almeida (as all other riders...) is human and, on that particular stage and based on what was happening inside his own team, was mentally all over the place....
He obviously is not the best rider in world but one thing he clearly is is a fighter, he never quits, and the way he ended that stage (the face, the will...) clearly showed us he was totally drained mentally and clearly not caring how much time he would lose....
On a normal stage he would have stayed with Foss and lost maybe 1:30 minutes... on that particular day it was a mess....

Regarding Knox and Serry staying with him... well...., I guess you could also say that today both of them stayed with Remco and, as you can see, the help was invaluable....

Reactions: noob and Luthor
I guess he will have a better idea on Sega di Ala, but it seems like his climbing has improved since last year.

Still a long way to go if he ever wants to contend for a GT, but it's a step in the right direction.

If he doesn't have any other bad day he will manage to be safely in top 10 and maybe finishing top8.
The problem was that awful stage 4 at Sestola. In that day he should be able to finish besides Remco, Yates, Formolo group in normal circunstances so atm he should be right next to Bardet in 8th place and still fighting for Top 5 which seems to be the right spot for him at this point of his riding potential

Reminds me of prime Dumoulin. He always rides within his limits.
Those 5 minutes he lost in Sestola were really odd.
The psychological pressure, I guess, feeling no support whatsoever from the team. ...that they would only support the rider who was ahead in GC got to him, I think.

The team knew that Evenepoel was flying in training and that he was likely to drop Almeida when he was still fresh.

The level in the Tour is still higher, though. If Roglic, Pogacar and Thomas in form for instance manage to stay on their bikes, Almeida has no chance of a podium against them in the next two years. And I'm not convinced by Bora as a GC team, by the way.
He's young and can still develop. But at his current level I think he's capable of a top5 at best. (Of course so much can happen... others crash out and stuff... his level is very high, but a Tour podium is tough stuff.)

Reactions: groogster
The level in the Tour is still higher, though. If Roglic, Pogacar and Thomas in form for instance manage to stay on their bikes, Almeida has no chance of a podium against them in the next two years. And I'm not convinced by Bora as a GC team, by the way.
He's young and can still develop. But at his current level I think he's capable of a top5 at best. (Of course so much can happen... others crash out and stuff... his level is very high, but a Tour podium is tough stuff.)
Very true... he needs to improve but he’s still young and I have few doubts that he’ll be a strong contender for GC in the next years.
As for the right team for João, I would love to see him at trek segafredo, IMO it would be the best choice as far as GC at GT

He was simply brilliant today, after such a tough stage on the breakaway , being able to keep up after being caught it simply shows what level he’s on at the moment... if not look at all their breakaway partners like Formolo or Nibali and how much time they eventually lost after being caught
Almeida seems to be really good at riding at his own pace and not responding to attacks. Formolo was a bit crazy today, trying to climb the Giau in the big ring.

The team knew that Evenepoel was flying in training and that he was likely to drop Almeida when he was still fresh.

I guess that's what they wanted people to believe in order to justify the "co-leader" policy...

In truth I find that very hard to accept...
Nobody talks much about it but stage 1 was a good example: Remco had never lost a TT to Almeida and, in the first stage where they were both fresh Almeida beats him....
that was a major red flag and should have alerted people that the whole hype created around Remco was solely that... a hype!

• Wow
Reactions: noob and limak_