• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Best win of his career. He is strong...

I'm trying to find a good comparison for him. He's the ultimate diesel climber, takes some time to get his engine going but then it never stops. Which is kinda odd considering he's quick and punchy when needed. I also get the feeling he gets better as stage races go on.

I can't lie, I'm a big fan.
Maybe Dumoulin at his peak. Similar diesel climbing style

Chris Froome.

Just reversed the amount of hair on head and eyebrows
Ok, now I had to dig deeper into this eyebrow thing. There's a condition called vitiligo. I am not suggesting Almeida has it (he might), but others reading this thread might and many with vitiligo are very self conscious about it already.

My partner has it on the head. On a spot the skin and hair is all white. I think it looks cool and I love looking at black people with this condition as it creates the most wonderful patterns in their skin as seen below.

But considering it's a condition that cannot be cured maybe mocking Almeida will mock others and hence I'll stop. I'd rather mock him for looking either like a sad puppy or a crazy serial killer. Because being a puppy aint a stigma and serial killers feelings I don't care about that much :joycat:

0_CATERS_VITILGO_MODEL_001-683x1024.jpg
White-hairs-of-the-eyebrow-in-segmental-vitiligo-can-be-seen.png

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I just realized something when reading comments on Youtube; In TdF JV Plan B documentary; Vingegaard was second or third on GC, yet as he knew his teammatew wanted to go for stage wins he didn't ask for supoort for himself and said he wanted them to have their chances too. And the DS discussed it among themselves and knew they had to solve the problem.

Some people are just not very good at asking for what they want, even when they are asked. I don't have a hard time imagining it being common in the peleton, especially with the smaller built guys. It's not like they've been the cool kids. And having a voice like Almeida won't make speaking up easier either.

There hasn't have to be bad blood anywhere for team dynamics to be complicated. Just a thought.

Oh how I miss Blueroads when discussing things like this :(

• Love
Why should smaller built guys have a hard time speaking up?o_O
And why cant a smaller person be a cool kid?

They can, absolutely. It's more like height and size matters a lot when it comes to social status. So the smaller guys might have to work harder socially than they had had they been bigger. I think there's science done on this even. Also people considered being good looking looks gets higher salary etc. So looks matters a lot in the society we are in. Biology maybe.

They can, absolutely. It's more like height and size matters a lot when it comes to social status. So the smaller guys might have to work harder socially than they had had they been bigger. I think there's science done on this even. Also people considered being good looking looks gets higher salary etc. So looks matters a lot in the society we are in. Biology maybe.
I dont buy it when it comes to cycling, seems totally unfounded, especially in a sport where a smaller size can be an advantage.

Reactions: noob
Vuelta or tour should suit him better yes. I think it's just that he has his history with the giro. Both as WT rider and as a junior.

The best I've seen him in rain is giro stage 16 last year when he went in the long breakaway and ended up 5.
I don't think there's clear evidence he struggles in bad weather. I remember him doing pretty good in 2020 when wearing the maglia rosa. But yeah today was a bit concerning.

I don't think there's clear evidence he struggles in bad weather. I remember him doing pretty good in 2020 when wearing the maglia rosa. But yeah today was a bit concerning.
I think it's a pattern to the point that he has a clear preference towards "nice weather". Not that he always underperforms in rain, but on average he underperforms more in rain than not rain, so to speak.

I gather a win in rain would help the situation. So far no win in rain.

From the interview on cyclingnews he says he was at the back of the peloton when Higuita and Carapaz attacked. He's always badly positioned, he really needs to work on this.

During the descent he said his wheels were slipping, because the tyre pressure was to high and he told Ayuso to go. This part I don't understand and it really shows lack of leadership skills. Why is he trying to be nice to his teammate when he's the leader and the teammate is there to help him?! Ridiculous to say the least.

A very disappointing day. It shows he still has much to learn in order to be a proper leader for the team. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
So... Almeida went from Quick Step to UAE to avoid the leadership issues he had with Remco Evenepoel.

First race he works for Pog
2nd race he was kinda disappointing
3rd race his 19 year old teammate drops him in the most crucial stage in the downhill

Well so far this has gone swimmingly well
He was probably on his initial contract on DQS

I doubt they even offered a competitive contract in comparison to other teams in for him

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
From the interview on cyclingnews he says he was at the back of the peloton when Higuita and Carapaz attacked. He's always badly positioned, he really needs to work on this.

During the descent he said his wheels were slipping, because the tyre pressure was to high and he told Ayuso to go. This part I don't understand and it really shows lack of leadership skills. Why is he trying to be nice to his teammate when he's the leader and the teammate is there to help him?! Ridiculous to say the least.

A very disappointing day. It shows he still has much to learn in order to be a proper leader for the team. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
I remember last summer you said he was worse at positioning when riding for Portugal than QS. So it seems to me QS was better at positioning him. Otherwise I would have wondered if bad positioning is also about riding his own tempo.

I am a big shocked after having read that article now. A lot to digest. I also wonder if there's a backstory we aren't told. He seems so naive :O

I remember last summer you said he was worse at positioning when riding for Portugal than QS. So it seems to me QS was better at positioning him. Otherwise I would have wondered if bad positioning is also about riding his own tempo.

I am a big shocked after having read that article now. A lot to digest. I also wonder if there's a backstory we aren't told. He seems so naive :O

This is not his first year as a pro at the WT level. If he wants to be a leader, he needs to be better at positioning by himself. He can't have a babysitter always by his side.

The team has some blame, but not all of it.

TRENDING THREADS