• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

John Degenkolb discussion thread

ICEROCK said:
How many more monuments can he win? PR?

In my book he is way much better than one trick pony (all the other Germany sprinters).

I was impressed by the way he rode RVV last year- the hills didn't hold him off, as expected to happen for a regular sprinter. I foresee a couple monuments victories in the coming years IF he gets full support of his team.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:
I can also see him gaining a number of podium spots because he will basically follow wheels :D

If Gerrans follows wheels and wins it's a crime but if Degenkolb does it it's genius ! Is there a more hated rider on this site than Gerrans ?

agree, everybody in the top 10 this year were essentially wheelsuckers who spend less than 300 meters in the wind.....

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site

Dazed and Confused said:
movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:
I can also see him gaining a number of podium spots because he will basically follow wheels :D

If Gerrans follows wheels and wins it's a crime but if Degenkolb does it it's genius ! Is there a more hated rider on this site than Gerrans ?

agree, everybody in the top 10 this year were essentially wheelsuckers who spend less than 300 meters in the wind.....

Uh, that's why it is a team sport. Everyone has a job to do. That's why Renshaw is Cav's most important teammate no? Come on man, stop the pickiness.

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
agr/fw/lbl are too hard. Although, if fit he might survive agr..

But it'll be for Dumoulin and Geschke there

He was 4th in the 2012 world championship. How different is AGR?

His next big target is a Tour stage. He already has a bunch of second places. I hope that he can pull it of this year.

thequestionmark said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
agr/fw/lbl are too hard. Although, if fit he might survive agr..

But it'll be for Dumoulin and Geschke there

He was 4th in the 2012 world championship. How different is AGR?
The finish is the same but I think AGR is usually harder. More up and downs all day. 2012 Worlds was a course where they just did the same 2 climbs 15 times or whatever. It was poorly raced with big groups.

Not that Degenkolb can't do it at AGR. I see similarities to Freire, better on cobbles of course, but Freire came close a few times and might have done better on the current course.

So he won two massive races this year and yet one of the moments of the year for me is still that insane sprint in crappy Dubai race :D. I mean he really announce himself this season with his imposing presence in more than one way, and we've seen all the potentials before, it just come in full this year, I wish my English was better to shorten it. Btw, just curious, who has higher wage, him or Kittel?

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

gunara said:
So he won two massive races this year and yet one of the moments of the year for me is still that insane sprint in crappy Dubai race :D. I mean he really announce himself this season with his imposing presence in more than one way, and we've seen all the potentials before, it just come in full this year, I wish my English was better to shorten it. Btw, just curious, who has higher wage, him or Kittel?

As far as I know, they both signed contracts in October 2013 until 2016. Kittel had beaten Cavendish in the Tour, whereas Degenkolb had "only" won Giro and Vuelta stages. Besides Paris-Tours Degenkolb hadn't won a classic yet. Therefore I suspect that Kittel is on a slightly higher payroll.