• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Publicity, most likely. Personal ambition, I highly doubt it - Remco is Belgian, Liege means A LOT, especially winning in that fashion after a mediocre spring. The Vuelta? Half of the forum for some strange reason doubted he could ever win a GT, and so did everyone else, so thats obviously extremely big as well, and a Worlds title alá Eddy? No way youre taking a TdF win instead of three of these big wins.
Publicity wise Evenepoel farting would eclipse Vingegaards Tour.

Indeed, that wouldn't be fair or accurate. I do also think Evenepoel deserves it. But i still believe a Tour win would be of more value than those victories combined in terms of publicity and personal ambition as a pro rider.
No. Way. In. Hell.

For a GC rider, the Tour is the pinacle. But Evenepoel is also a one day/classics rider. There is no way he would trade his wins for the Tour. I actually even doubt he would trade LBL and his WCC title for the Tour.

Vingo is completely out of the running (even if he were to win Lombardia).

One can only argue possibly for Pog over Remco, and only if Pog wins Lombardia. But even then, it would be stretching it.

the Worlds win was the final nail in terms of velo d'or for 2022.

remco has most wins, won his very first race and his last of the season, won a GT, a monument, the Worlds and then there is San Sebastian, Belgian TT nationals, bronze at world TT, two week long stage races, fourth after leading Itzulia, second at Valenciana, won a stage at TdS. He has been present and a contender at absolutely every race he has competed in. Yes, even T-A and TdS when the result did not go his way because of bad days/dehydration. He was attacking and second on GC until the last day at T-A and a favorite at TdS until he got dehydrated on the very stage that suited him to a T.

The only other rider who comes close to that type of presence throughout the season is Pog - tho he certainly had his weak days at San Sebastian and the Worlds.

Vingo had a great win at TDF, but as a season, simply in no way comparable.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
Besides what i said, vingegaard beat the great tadej pogacar, and with some of the best performances we saw in this century, in the mountains. That's great results.
Pogacar is an overrated puncheur and classics rider that won TDF 2 years in a row with Mickley mouse routes for puncheurs and a thermonuclear TT. In the mountains he is overrated , he got beaten on a GT by 40yo Valverde.

Vingegaard is a Phenomenal GT rider, but Evenpoel takes Velo d'or this year

Vingo is completely out of the running (even if he were to win Lombardia).
If he wins Lombardia, he definitely enters the discussion imho. Wouldn't think he's the big favorite, but i wouldn't be surprised if a somewhat biased jury would pick him. As it stands, i can't imagine him winning it. But with Lombardia... it gets dicey. Tour + a monument (6 season wins total) vs Vuelta + a monument + WCC + WT classic (15 season wins total).

Reactions: Big Doopie
If he wins Lombardia, he definitely enters the discussion imho. Wouldn't think he's the big favorite, but i wouldn't be surprised if a somewhat biased jury would pick him. As it stands, i can't imagine him winning it. But with Lombardia... it gets dicey. Tour + a monument (6 season wins total) vs Vuelta + a monument + WCC + WT classic (15 season wins total).
I think for some of the 'worse' picks in Velo d'Or popularity plays a role but that is hardly gonna go against Evenepoel. For Velo d'Or the Tour isn't as sacred as it used to be.

Having said that, I don't think Vingegaard is even a favorite for Lombardia tbh.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's already trying to pawn his new bike, apparently wanting to trade it for something with Shimano

FlKoNVlWYAAD71c

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS