• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 187 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No need to cry about it. He was very lucky for last two, three years coming to Tour with no setbacks while his competition was crashing and had problems all over the place. Now shoe is on the other foot even though most of his competiton crashed hard again. And probably will crash or have other problems in weeks to come.
By competition you mean Pogacar?
Well Vingegaard's competition also were lucky before the Tour 2021 and the Tour 2022.

He was suffering from covid during 2021, he had problems in the achilles tendon before the Tour 2021, he crashed during the Tour 2021 in the famous romme/colombiere stage, and he still did second in the end of the Tour.

Before the Tour 2022 he also had some minor issues in the achilles tendon and in his knees.
You can also aplly that to him.

Pogacar only had a steback before the Tour 2023.

No need to cry about it. He was very lucky for last two, three years coming to Tour with no setbacks while his competition was crashing and had problems all over the place. Now shoe is on the other foot even though most of his competiton crashed hard again. And probably will crash or have other problems in weeks to come.
This is just not true. But Vingegaard doesn't come up with excuses for a poor performance in the Tour... he doesn't have to because he won :)

I know there's this myth among Pogacar fanboys that Vingegaard can only beat him if Pogi is somehow injured or lacking in preparation, but this is nonsense. Pogi knows this, that's why he seems to have switched around his preparation this year. Unfortunately for him he probably won't get to show if it actually makes a difference against Vingegaard in the Tour, since Vingegaard won't be there.

Reactions: Froome
This is just not true. But Vingegaard doesn't come up with excuses for a poor performance in the Tour... he doesn't have to because he won :)

I know there's this myth among Pogacar fanboys that Vingegaard can only beat him if Pogi is somehow injured or lacking in preparation, but this is nonsense. Pogi knows this, that's why he seems to have switched around his preparation this year. Unfortunately for him he probably won't get to show if it actually makes a difference against Vingegaard in the Tour, since Vingegaard won't be there.
I'm not ruling him out for the Tour yet, let's see when he starts on the bike and how his body responds, but yeah, it will be difficult to be there at 100%.

Of course one is lucky not to crash and to ride against riders that had setbacks or not to ride against them because they had to leave a race.
Yes, it's a fact that Vingo was lucky in that matter in the two previous Tours.
In 2022 had Roglic not crashed (twice) and tactics would have been very different. In 2023 Pogacar crashed in LBL. No one is saying that the outcome would have been different, so calm down your triggering; only that luck plays a part in the sport and Vingo has been reaping its fruits.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and acm

Teddy M wants to win every GT, GC and important one day race there is. So he doesn't come at his best shape to the Tour anymore.

Good news to see him out of the hospital and going back home.

He doesn't look bad considering he was supposed to be in critical condition (as some people said). I think the media and the fans should be more cautious when we are talking about the health of human beings.

I am more optimistic now and I think we will see him on a professional race at least late this year... and hopefully sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Of course one is lucky not to crash and to ride against riders that had setbacks or not to ride against them because they had to leave a race.
Yes, it's a fact that Vingo was lucky in that matter in the two previous Tours.
In 2022 had Roglic not crashed (twice) and tactics would have been very different. In 2023 Pogacar crashed in LBL. No one is saying that the outcome would have been different, so calm down your triggering; only that luck plays a part in the sport and Vingo has been reaping its fruits.
Stop pretending Roglic is at the same level of Vingegaard in Grand Tours. He is not even at the level of Pogacar and he was in the same team of Vingegaard. They weren't rivals in 2022. Don't be so emotional.

This is about Pogacar vs Vingegaard.

If Roglic didn’t crash in 2022, Vingegaard would had won even more easily the Tour, because he would help Vingegaard winning the Tour until the end.

Reactions: Berniece
Stop pretending Roglic is at the same level of Vingegaard in Grand Tours. He is not even at the level of Pogacar and he was in the same team of Vingegaard. They weren't rivals in 2022. Don't be so emotional.

If Roglic didn’t crash in 2022, Vingegaard would had won even more easily the Tour, because he would help Vingegaard winning the Tour until the end.

If Roglic doesn't crash he probably ends the cobbled stage with a minute over Vingegaard (if I remember when he had a flat Jumbo didn't support him fully, leaving some people with Roglic. It was only after Roglic's crash when Vingegaard got a lot of support , allowing him to close the gap to Pogacar).
And then, depending on the balance between Pog and Rog Vingegaard may never get the chance to ride for himself.*

*This is not to say Vingegaard wasn't stronger. But if Roglic had advantage over Vingegaard that Tour and stage 11 mainly is very different.

If Roglic doesn't crash he probably ends the cobbled stage with a minute over Vingegaard (if I remember when he had a flat Jumbo didn't support him fully, leaving some people with Roglic. It was only after Roglic's crash when Vingegaard got a lot of support , allowing him to close the gap to Pogacar).
And then, depending on the balance between Pog and Rog Vingegaard may never get the chance to ride for himself.*

*This is not to say Vingegaard wasn't stronger. But if Roglic had advantage over Vingegaard that Tour and stage 11 mainly is very different.
Would neutral luck not also nullify Vingegaard's puncture?

Reactions: glassmoon

Well, at least in 2023, luck definitely was on Jonas's side. Pogacar had broken his wrist what is equivalent 2 weeks after Remco and Jonas got their injuries this year and we all know it's impossible to claim for any of the two they will even be at the Tour let alone be there at 100%. Even Roglic's boss has doubts whether he will not be affected by the crash, and he hasnt even broken anything...

Given that Pog was pretty much Vinge's equal in the first two weeks, his last week drop could be down to his sub-optimal prep and if that was the case (which is just one of the possibilities), then Jonas was lucky.

Regarding 2022, I agree: If Roglic had something to do with Vingegaard winning, then him staying in the race would have even greater effect. Provided Roglic was not stronger than Jonas and in 2022, which I don't think he was. 2021-level Roglic racing in 2022 TdF might be a different story, of course...

Last edited:

You're the one being emotional. And with very weak arguments, as usual.
No one was arguing about the levels between Vingo and Roglic, but the fact that the fishmonger was lucky in that 1) he didn't crash, 2) his teammate crashed and helped him;
If you're stating that teammate Roglic's demise didn't have a part in clearing up things for Jumbo, you're blind.
JV approached Tour 2022 with two leaders. One leader crashed and rode for the other, triggering and baiting Pogacar in the process. This outcome was lucky for Vingo has lucky can be: because otherwise Roglic would't have rode like that and JV would have to split forces for their two leaders.

Last edited:
Well, at least in 2023, luck definitely was on Jonas's side. Pogacar had broken his wrist what is equivalent 2 weeks after Remco and Jonas got their injuries this year and we all know it's impossible to claim for any of the two they will even be at the Tour let alone be there at 100%. Even Roglic's boss has doubts whether he will not be affected by the crash, and he hasnt even broken anything...

Given that Pog was pretty much Vinge's equal in the first two weeks, his last week drop could be down to his sub-optimal prep and if that was the case (which is just one of the possibilities), then Jonas was lucky.

Regarding 2022, I agree: If Roglic had something to do with Vingegaard winning, then him staying in the race would have even greater effect. Provided Roglic was not stronger than Jonas and in 2022, which I don't think he was. 2021-level Roglic racing in 2022 TdF might be a different story, of course...
Pogi had greater luck in 2021 than Vingegaard had in 2023. So far, Pogi has been the luckiest Tour contender.

• Haha
Reactions: KZD and Froome
You're the one being emotional. And with very weak arguments, as usual.
No one was arguing about the levels between Vingo and Roglic, but the fact that the fishmonger was lucky in that 1) he didn't crash, 2) his teammate crashed and helped him;
If you you're stating that teammate Roglic's demise didn't have a part in clearing up things for Jumbo, you're blind.
JV approached Tour 2022 with two leaders. One leader crashed and rode for the other, triggering and baiting Pogacar in the process. This outcome was lucky for Vingo has lucky can be: because otherwise Roglic would't have rode like that and JV would have to split forces for their two leaders.
Then you will agree that Pogacar will have luck this year after Vingegaard's crash, and that he was also got luck in the Tour 2021, because Vingegaard was suffering during entire year due to covid, he crashed in thr famous colombiere/romme stage, and he had injuries in his knees and in the achilles tendon before the Tour.

"I REALLY DIDN’T EXPECT TO ACHIEVE THIS ALREADY AFTER MY INJURY."
JONAS VINGEGAARD
Vingegaard was surprised by his good time trial. He has just recovered from an injury to his achilles tendon. “I am very happy with my performance. I really didn’t expect to achieve this already after my injury."

He also had some issues before the Tour 2022 in his achilles tendon and in his knees.

Pogacar only had issues before the Tour 2023.

@bNator

If we look closely, Pogacar is the most lucky guy since 2021.

Reactions: noob
Then you will agree that Pogacar will have luck this year after Vingegaard's crash, and that he was also got luck in the Tour 2021, because Vingegaard was suffering during entire year due to covid, he crashed in thr famous colombiere/romme stage, and he had injuries in his knees and in the achilles tendon before the Tour.

"I REALLY DIDN’T EXPECT TO ACHIEVE THIS ALREADY AFTER MY INJURY."
JONAS VINGEGAARD
Vingegaard was surprised by his good time trial. He has just recovered from an injury to his achilles tendon. “I am very happy with my performance. I really didn’t expect to achieve this already after my injury."

He also had some issues before the Tour 2022 in his achilles tendon and in his knees.

Pogacar only had issues before the Tour 2023.
No, you can's say that, because Pogacar might crash until the Tour. Otherwise, of course.

For any rider, staying in the bicycle without crashes before and during the Tour is lucky already.