• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Plugge has high hopes for Jonas. In two weeks they will know whetter it's possible or not.

"As far as Jonas is concerned, the Tour is not out of the question for us,' Plugge repeated his leader's words. 'We will see. We will only go to the Tour with Jonas if he is one hundred percent. He is someone who picks it up quickly and has staggering talent. In a maximum of two weeks we will know the answer to whether the Tour is feasible. Not before. I still have high hopes for it,” Plugge stated.​

Reactions: Poursuivant
Plugge has high hopes for Jonas. In two weeks they will know whetter it's possible or not.

"As far as Jonas is concerned, the Tour is not out of the question for us,' Plugge repeated his leader's words. 'We will see. We will only go to the Tour with Jonas if he is one hundred percent. He is someone who picks it up quickly and has staggering talent. In a maximum of two weeks we will know the answer to whether the Tour is feasible. Not before. I still have high hopes for it,” Plugge stated.​

When he goes to the Tour & Rogla beats him, I'm so totally going to say Vingegaard was at 100% just because Plugge said so.

I don't think so. I think it's still hard for even them to know what kind of shape he can achieve for the Tour.

I have the same opinion of Contador. He will be there, let's see in what kind of shape.

I have the same opinion of Contador. He will be there, let's see in what kind of shape.
Indeed, it's also ridiculous to say he'll only be there if he's at 100%. I would still let Vingegaard go to the Tour if he's at 95%. Just ride it like Remco did the Vuelta last year.

Reactions: Froome
Indeed, it's also ridiculous to say he'll only be there if he's at 100%. I would still let Vingegaard go to the Tour if he's at 95%. Just ride it like Remco did the Vuelta last year.
So we can laugh about how he can't climb!
Seriously though, if he's fully recovered (healed) they can send him, even if his form is not there yet. They don't really have alternatives anyway. I doubt they think Kuss can win the Tour. See how it goes, if GC is not an option, he can go for stages or he can just ride it to get into form.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berniece
Can you tell the news he said about Vingegaard? It's not possible to select other language.

They've seen him go out for a training ride, which may have lasted about 3 hours, and they believe he looked fine on the bike for the few moments they caught of it.

But since they didn't really see him train, who knows what he actually did for most of those 3 hours?

Maybe he got rebooted, watched the Giro, got stuck in a loop of cat videos, listened to those 3000 new Taylor Swift songs, or rode to the nearest McDonalds and ate his guts out, because he wanted to feel alive after eating hospital food for too long.

So we can laugh about how he can't climb!
Seriously though, if he's fully recovered (healed) they can send him, even if his form is not there yet. They don't really have alternatives anyway. I doubt they think Kuss can win the Tour. See how it goes, if GC is not an option, he can go for stages or he can just ride it to get into form.
Their alternative and decent: Kuss and Jorgensen for GC and Wout as a stage hunter.

But Jonas obviously triumphs that easily if he's just 90% at the start

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Can you tell the news he said about Vingegaard? It's not possible to select other language.
What exactly is said in the video and translated into English:

Ekstrabladet has been in Glyngøre here behind us today to see if we could have a chat with Jonas Vingegaard. Because he is back on his training bike after his terrible crash in the Basque Country around five weeks ago. We spoke to Jonas Vingegaard today.

He does not want to take part in an interview, and of course we respect that. He was out on his bike for about three hours. How much of it he trained intensively, we do not know.

The team says he trains somewhere between half an hour and a full hour. It may be that he has driven a little further. The fact is, though, he looked pretty good on his bike.

He sat very easily and did not look affected by all his injuries. And he drove at a, let's call it, pretty good speed too, both in and out of town. Good news for all of us hoping to see him at the Tour de France this summer.

Reactions: Froome
For comparison, for those pessimists that said there is no comparison betwen the injuries Jonas sustained and the time off bike with regards to Pogačar in 2023.
Pogačar first time outside on the bike was 19. May and he couldn't stand on the pedals till June (we don't know if Jonas can stand on pedals yet, but I imagine that a wrist injury is more complicated with regards to this).
Now I imagine Jonas might have missed more aerobic training because of lung and ribs injury, but with a solid base already there, that can hopefully be regained with little consequences.

So things are again looking up for one of the most competitive Tour starts in a long time.
dude can't even breathe properly yet ffs... he needs to heal and get ready for Vuelta

dude can't even breathe properly yet ffs... he needs to heal and get ready for Vuelta

I was merely reacting to a new information - the fact that he rides outdoors, seemingly for some kind of training purposes along with the team being hopeful he will ride the tour. I of course hope so too, because I think it would make for a better race, but if he will clearly not be ready to be competitive in any sense, then of course I hope he and the team decide not to do it.
But instead of arguing with me being happy with his seemingly rapid recovery, you should be arguing with him and the team, why the duck is he ridding his bike outdoors (and being publicized at that too) when he can't even breathe properly yet if you indeed think this is the case.
(If you think it's a case of workers abuse for the sake of sponsor exposure, because they think they will not get the exposure at the tour... I think it might be stretching it a bit, but I will nonetheless unite with you for the glorious revolution!)

Let me preface this by saying I don’t think he’ll be at the turn because he won’t show up if he doesn’t think he can win. It can’t be understated how gruesome his injuries were and how painful it must be to breathe while fatigued. That’s going to hamper any training and could still be present by the time Tour comes around. He’s in amazing physical shape and condition but it’s still a long, hard recovery.

A top 10 would be great, and if he podiums or even wins I would say it’d be arguably his best Grand Tour performance. Nor do I think coming in at base shape or 70%(or whatever it was) is a pathway to victory. You can’t use past results to point in his favor for this because they’re not the same circumstances. First off, Roglic probably beats him at the Vuelta if they’re racing against each other from the start and that was an average Vingegaard. It might not be by much but he could have gained more time on the stages Vingegaard was weak in. Roglic also showed to be in great shape by the end of the Vuelta and had that amazing Giro TT, that’s a lot to bank on being better. Pogacar and Evenepoel aren’t going to be slouches either and Pog has a strong team. Pogacar’s big question mark would be how he recovers but his team knows and planned all year for a serious double attempt. And while there’s some that don’t believe Mou, I think Pogacar has looked pretty improved from last year and they already started techniques to try and keep him cool. Second, just because Vingegaard was the strongest in 2022 and 2023 at the third week doesn’t mean it’ll continue. There’s no way Visma ride anything like the last two years if Vingegaard isn’t 100%, otherwise he’s going to be dropped by it and the lung issues will show themselves. That means Pog, Roglic, Evenepoel and others are going to have more energy and won’t be as worn down. If he’s at 70% in the first two weeks he’s going to lose too much time to overcome.

I think his best bet is a nice relaxing race, but that’s a lot to ask for.

Jonas will likely be at the tour. He will likely climb even outclimb his competitors. But what worries me is how he will race in the group or in the descents. It's easy when you are alone and the road is wide, but in a group just a slight bump and you're down. And the way the tour is with fans all over the roads it can be very stressful. Plus add to the fact that he's the defending champion there will be a big burden on his shoulders. I wouldn't be surprised to see him say 1-2 minutes ahead in the final weak.

To me it just seems like they're gonna try to get him in a good but not perfect shape and just see what happens. Vingegaard is obviously motivated. If he's not good enough then there's La Vuelta. And I only think they'll take him out if he gets worse during the race.