• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 189 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So what's the timetable now?

Grischa: Jonas started training with an intensity of 1 w/kg on a stationary bike. Most importantly he's healthy now. Hopefully he'll be back for the next season.

Grischa: Jonas is able to train with intensities higher than 1 w/kg and overtook a grandpa on a climb yesterday! No Tour of course but Vuelta isn't ruled out.

Grischa: Jonas reached some decent numbers during recent tests. We decided to take him as a superdomestique of Sepp. We treat it as pre-Vuelta preparation, no hopes for the GC.

Grischa: Jonas, show the world who's the strongest!

Last edited:
The Tour looks like an impossible dream which will come too early but there will be plenty of idle 'will he won't he' speculation in the meantime. The Vuelta could be a realistic target though and if he makes a full recovery he would be a big favourite to win it this year.
I don't rule him out yet for the Tour (at least until the team says he can't do the Tour), because 2 months and half is still a significant time. Let's see how he recover and how fast he can go to the turbo trainer.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
What's talent supposed to mean here? I mean, doesn't everyone agree that Vingegaard is the better long duration, high elevation climber, especially in hot weather, while Pogacar has a wider range of strengths, incuding explosivity?
Vingegaard's Tour wins are mostly attributed to his team, and Pogi's to himself. That's sort of what I was getting at. And that includes Jumbo's almost monk-like preparation on altitude. But that may not actually be the decisive factor.

I guess we'll see this year, if Vingegaard still makes it to the Tour... even the staunchest Pogi fans would have to agree that Vingo's preparation was far from ideal, if he still manages to win there are no arguments left :) (who am I kidding, then it will be because Pogi raced the Giro before)

Low hanging fruit, gonna have to do better than this.
MvdP has had a couple of those what you would call low hanging fruits this season and no one seems to mind that much. To the contrary, I’ve heard people proclaiming him top racer of his generation.

If Rogla wins, he will have beaten Pog, Remco and a bunch of other worthy opponents at the tender age of almost 35. He will have been the second oldest TdF winner ever and the oldest in the last 100 years. Low hanging fruit indeed 🤣

Reactions: noob and pastronef
MvdP has had a couple of those what you would call low hanging fruits this season and no one seems to mind that much. To the contrary, I’ve heard people proclaiming him top racer of his generation.

If Rogla wins, he will have beaten Pog, Remco and a bunch of other worthy opponents at the tender age of almost 35. He will have been the second oldest TdF winner ever and the oldest in the last 100 years. Low hanging fruit indeed 🤣
I was actually referring to johnnymax level of instigating, but cool to see this got to you.

Sounds intriguing 🤨 not to encourage you to get banned, of course…

I mean I know he has a tendency to disappear for weeks if there’s nothing going on on the Rog front. So @Froome I wouldn’t worry too much, you’ll get your arch-nemesis back sooner or later…
My arch-nemesis but always friendly and very polite. He never loses composure.