• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonathan Milan is the new sprint superstar

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is a level-headed argument and, in principle, I agree. All I'm saying is that Milan's level seems to be such that now is the time to see if he can become one of those generational sprinters of the sport. It's a window that doesn't remain open forever.

There's of course a chance that this will prove to have been his best opportunity ever. Getting to win a Tour de France stage in Italy might not be possibly again for some time either.

Reactions: Extinction
Starting to wonder how many peaks per season, these sprint performances by multiple riders have been absolutely outstanding .
Milan looking like Merlier looking like Philipsen looking like Fabio Jakobsen looking like Sam Welsford..it's like for a few weeks at a time guys are untouchable and then sort of calm down and ride human again. Cavendish is racing pretty human.. Milan does not look beatable for the immediate next days.. I hope that it's some no name at the TDF personally.

It's a shame. He should be at the highest event of cycling. Who will remember the Olympic team pursuit?
A lot more people, really way more people, especially outside the cycling fan scene, will remember a gold medal than being the leadout to Pedersen at the Tour. Like in Austria, Anna Kiesenhofer got huge commercial contracts exactly because of being a gold medalist.

So I guess for Ganna, Consonni, Milan that will be a huge goal. Defending your Olympic title makes you a national legend. I do not watch sailing. In general its niche in Austria. But a lot of people know Hagara-Steinacher cause they won gold in consecutive Olympic games.

Yeah but you said best sprinters (plural), which isn't really true. The best sprinter is at the Tour, but most of the other quickest sprinters are at the Giro, so Milan has basically established himself as the 2nd best itw (I think Merlier is as fast as Milan, but I also think he is as fast as Philipsen in a flat one day race, e.g.).
Well Philipsen is the biggest absence here for sure. No Jakobsen, who admittedly hasn't lived up to expectations. No Cav either, who is admittedly past his best years, but, as we saw at the 2021 Tour, can still produce some winning turns of speed. It's thus as much about the stage of the Tour as who isn't present at the Giro.

Last edited:
A lot more people, really way more people, especially outside the cycling fan scene, will remember a gold medal than being the leadout to Pedersen at the Tour. Like in Austria, Anna Kiesenhofer got huge commercial contracts exactly because of being a gold medalist.

So I guess for Ganna, Consonni, Milan that will be a huge goal. Defending your Olympic title makes you a national legend. I do not watch sailing. In general its niche in Austria. But a lot of people know Hagara-Steinacher cause they won gold in consecutive Olympic games.
I seriously don't think Olympic gold on the track beats green at the Tour. Way more cycling fans watch the Tour than whatever audience Olympic track, Austria evidently and I'd imagine Belgium being exceptions. I could see your "way more people" if it were the Olympic road race, but not a track event, sorry. Nothing against the track, mind you.

Last edited: