• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Patrick Lefevere Depreciation Thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

A message from our team's CEO.

On Thursday March 14th 2024, I was informed that the UCI Ethics Commission decided that 2 statements I made were in violation with the UCI ethical code. The commission refers to 2 statements I made: one in an article dd. July 3th, 2021 in ‘Het Nieuwsblad’, and one in a TV-interview dd. March 8th, 2023 in ‘De Afspraak’.

With this statement, I want to make clear that I accept the decision of the UCI Ethics Commission.

I acknowledge that the sentences referred to can be perceived in a doubtful way. It was never my intention to harm anyone, and therefore I apologize. I apologize explicitly to the UCI, the UCI Ethics Commission and to all persons concerned or who have perceived these statements in a harmful way.

The way our teams work, should also offer proof that it was never my intention to offend or harm anybody: today we employ 74 riders and 106 full time staff members, both men and women, in a diverse and inclusive work-environment with no distinction in terms of origin, gender or background. In this way, we will continue our journey.

Patrick Lefevere

He's got some more criticism to dish around

The Belgian was not very complimentary about Jan Hirt and Fausto Masnada. “Fausto did not give us much satisfaction, that had to do with injuries but also with his stubborn behaviour in the race,” he said in his column in Het Nieuwsblad. “In 2021 he ignored Bramati’s instructions and raced for Pogacar,” he cited as an example.
In the same text, Lefevere commented that Asgreen had accepted a salary reduction because what he was receiving was a lot compared to his performances, but then there was no agreement and the classicist will leave

He's got some more criticism to dish around

The Belgian was not very complimentary about Jan Hirt and Fausto Masnada. “Fausto did not give us much satisfaction, that had to do with injuries but also with his stubborn behaviour in the race,” he said in his column in Het Nieuwsblad. “In 2021 he ignored Bramati’s instructions and raced for Pogacar,” he cited as an example.
In the same text, Lefevere commented that Asgreen had accepted a salary reduction because what he was receiving was a lot compared to his performances, but then there was no agreement and the classicist will leave

The criticism towards Masnada was that he "cooperated" with Pogacar, while he was told not to. Not only was it dumb, it was also against direct instructions of his DS.

His criticism towards Hirt was that the team wanted him to stay, Hirt also wanted to stay, but his manager told him not to and he listened to his manager.

So a lot of the talk about the 'merger' last year was about Lefevre being ready to retire. 12 months later, has the thought of spending more time at home lost its appeal? Did he decide that gardening, boules and looking after the grandchildren is not what he wants after all?

Does he have a designated successor?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Does he have a designated successor?
Jürgen Fore was appointed COO at the start of the season and is the likely successor.

I find the aura around Lefevre very interesting. People normally complains that owner of sport teams often are not transparent at all, and when it comes to Lefevre he’s being very transparent and every time people react negatively, even the times there isn’t any controversial things being said. Fascinating.

Lefevere has become a caricature of a bad team owner. Hope Remco leaves
Lefevere isn´t a team owner. That´s Bakala (for 80% of the shares). Lefevere just has to manage the whole thing, while being confronted with a reduced budget, some riders with a big salary compared to how they performed the last 2 years and increasing demands of the star of the team.

Jürgen Fore was appointed COO at the start of the season and is the likely successor.

I find the aura around Lefevre very interesting. People normally complains that owner of sport teams often are not transparent at all, and when it comes to Lefevre he’s being very transparent and every time people react negatively, even the times there isn’t any controversial things being said. Fascinating.
Indeed. Classical hate and troll attitude by frustrated third-rate Trappist drinking cycling tourists.

Last edited: