• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonathan Milan is the new sprint superstar

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Milan wins a flat stage and takes the 50 points instead of Pedersen's rival for green, that's as good as Pedersen getting 3rd and 20 points.

Right, the points jersey is always won by someone who doesn't participate in bunch sprints...

There are too many problems with that logic for me to really believe that you believe in it yourself. Particularly if you want this to be their modus operandi on all stages where Milan can win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Milan is a better bet for green than Pedersen, but I'd have Pedersen go for intermediates and for lower placements after his lead-out at the finish on the flattest stages. Then the team sets him up on the harder finishes.

It's a much better strat for green than Pedersen getting 4th and 18 points in the bunch sprint while Philipsen gets 1st and 50 points. And Milan is much more likely to regularly win the big bunch sprints than Pedersen is to get top-2 in them.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's had some weirdly bad sprints at the end of hard races though.
Only example of that really is the Europran Championships imo. He came 3rd in the bunch sprint at GW after doing about 20km solo and was pretty good in the Napoli stage at the Giro which is probably at the upper end in terms of climbing and what I think he can hang on to. Was easily the quickest at the Hamburg race too, just got boxed in, and performed well in some difficult 200km+ stages in Tirreno Adriatico.

He had another bad sprint at the Renewi Tour, and the final Giro stage in 2023, but the Renewi stage was pretty simple and the Giro was his first GT.