• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonathan Vaughters guest appearance

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think having firmer lines of delineation between Continental and WT would be a good idea. How about a World Continental Tour every year, and maybe the highest points scoring team over 3 yrs gets to jump up to the World Tour (and you can't just buy your way in!!)

That would add interest to Conti racing, eh?

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
You've said before that you believe Michel Kreder could win the Amstal Gold Race once. How about his brother, Raymond? Do you believe he could be one of the best riders on his field (sprinting) in a couple of years?

By the way, in the Tour Méditerranéen Raymond did the lead-out one time and so did Michel. Does it stay this variable this season? Or will you eventuelly choose one of them to sprint?

May 24, 2010
Visit site
JV
I note you have commented on the Saxo Bank case specifically but generally what are your views about the "Additional Sanctions" on the UCI Articles for doping bans; fines, inability to accrue points on their return to the WT Teams, teams being penalised etc etc,AIGCP hat on obviously?? WADA deem it important enough to challenge the British Olympic Association at CAS, how can the UCI get away with something similar?

I know you have commented briefly on Twitter can you be more expansive here?

Cheers

(@Slapshotjc)

PS, How much input does David Millar have in the Garmin squad and how much does his overall contribution bring to the team??

Hi Jonathan,

I was wondering what your opinion on Sergio Luis Henao is? Have you seen enough personally to rate him yourself?

In Tour of Utah he averaged 365watts all the way up Snowbird Ski-Station/Little-Cottonwood and L. Leiphemier afterwards said he felt like he was chasing down Alberto Contador.

On another note (More Garmin related) I was wondering what your crystal-ball tells you about Peter Stetina? He is a personal favorite of mine and I wonder what you expect to see from him in the coming year.

Thanks for your time!

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
JV1973 said:
I think having firmer lines of delineation between Continental and WT would be a good idea. How about a World Continental Tour every year, and maybe the highest points scoring team over 3 yrs gets to jump up to the World Tour (and you can't just buy your way in!!)

That would add interest to Conti racing, eh?

That would make things much better. Along those lines, do you think the transfer system should change or that teams should remain more constant, especially in kit so fans can more easily follow their favorite team?

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Pinot,

Raymond is a different kind of sprinter than Michel. Less aerobically talented, but more powerful. Ray is a neo-pro, so let's give it a few years before we try and figure out exactly what races he'll be good at.

They figured out who was best, on the fly. I think they have some umbilical cord type communication.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey JV, how are Garmin-B chances looking for Paris-Roubaix? Also, I've been wondering if you have considered CX bikes for that race?

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Siriuscat,

I have spoken to David Howman at WADA about this issue, and he is examining if it is a code violation or not. But you're right to think that it isn't quite as obvious and important to WADA as the BOA case.

I was in support of the no points for returning riders rule at the CCP. And still do think it has merit, as it allows a contrite, admitted doper time to earn his teammates respect as a worker, before he goes trying to win races. Our approach with Dekker could not be more different than the approach with Valverde. I was not aware of the WADA rule at the time, which is my oversight.

I also think that the "no additional punishment" rule would apply to removing the license from a whole team, due to the anti-doping violation of one rider. But it's a bit nuanced. We shall see.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Jakob,

Henao might be great. It all depends on how he adapts to life in Europe and the European peloton. It's one thing to move to the front of a 100 rider American peloton on huge, wide roads. It's quite another to maneuver in a crazy 190 rider field on goat paths in italy. Only time will tell if he can handle that part or not.

Talent isn't just vo2 max and watts. A bike racer is half F1 driver, half marathon runner. If the F1 driver sucks, the marathon runner only gets to play in small races.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Rocksteady,

Well, the only way for us to keep consistent uniforms, is to have revenue streams, apart from pure sponsorship, so we can build an identity apart from any sponsor. So, we need the horse before the cart on that...

BUT...Look at our argyle. Argyle isn't specific to any color or company. Its just a pattern we can put on a a uniform, no matter who the sponsor or what the color. And our team is identified by argyle. So, it's a step. Betcha most people didn't realize my evil plan....

Transfers: Transfers, in my opinion, should be instant and during a 1 month window (August)...Thor wants to ride fro BMC, great, not problem, he starts tomorrow. Then you don't have the big hubbaloo over his non-selection to the Vuelta. Too many riders are not "really' with their teams in the last part of the year. So, let's change that.

You would have to limit transfers to 6-8 per team or so, or it could get very complicated. But basically, the calendar transfer system is antiquated. Time to become a grown up pro sport!

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for answering the questions so far, I've just one question left.

If I give you the "chair" of Preudhomme, the director of the Tour de France, what teams would you give a wild-card for the Tour the France?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What's more exhilarating and fun, being a DS or a rider?

Good question - and I would add...

Jonathan,

What has been your proudest moment since you returned as an owner?
Or what performance, rider, even deal or whatever ... what has given you the most satisfaction?

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
JV,

if you could nail down the top 2 or 3 problems with getting sponsors on board, what would they be.

is it just a general lack of interest in the sport from corporations? is it the cost itself? is it the perceived return for the sponsor dollars?

what could the sport do itself (at organizer or team level) do to create the buzz needed to keep sponsor dollars in the sport?

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
on being a DS or rider,

Very different beast. For me, it's more fun to see guys you've helped behind the scenes perform. But it's a thankless job, man... you'd be amazed at the amount of *****ing and griping that occurs.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Quixote,

We use a special bike that cervelo makes that's even better than a 'cross bike. Just very subtle.

As for our chances? That's such a crazy race, you never know your chances until you're through the Arenberg.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Rocksteady,

Maybe. Doug is a big proponent of orange. I like it too, but it's a tough color to balance out in a kit, unless you're Euskaltel. I love orange couches and sport coats.

TRENDING THREADS