• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

CXWOmuA.jpg

In the words of Roglic: "Why not, eh?" So I made this thread.

bEuhlNF.png

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/juan-ayuso-pesquera

yPRqDrL.png

Just 18 years of age, he is having quite a year, especially at the baby Giro at the moment. And of course he already got picked up by UAE, officially from August 1st.
And they signed him until 2025 so they clearly must see something in him as well. Let the hype begin!

Here's the news from last year's signing.

"The idea is to give him time and space to develop as a rider and as a person," Joxean Matxin Fernandez said of Ayuso. "The priority at the moment is that he enjoys the bike. It’s a five year outlook with Juan and he is part of the long-term project we are building at UAE Team Emirates."

I find it hard to tell what the numbers from yesterday show.
It obviously was a great performance and before I saw the times I was inclined to say the time gain was due to the mild competition in this age where "many" of the best U21s are already in the pro ranks...
But obviously, despite the time gap, the others were quite fast as well.
I'm a bit confused.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ayuso is still a first year U23 in a race where, this year, U24's are allowed to race as well. With this rule in place Ayuso could still ride the Baby Giro 2025.

I'm not doubting it's a great performance... I just don't know what exactly to do with the times, whether they are as insane as it seems or whether there were favourable conditions... and what the times say about his competitors. I am not good with numbers or juniors, so it was a real question what others say about this, in a bit more detail than "great performance".

Reactions: Sandisfan
Amazing talent! Can climb, TT and sprint. A new Pogacar/Remco.
Movistar missed the next spanish superstar, bad luck for them!
He can TT, but the only real international test he did, was the junior Euro TT, where he did "very well" and finished 5th about a minute down form M Vacek. Likely he can improve, but for the moment he doesn't seem like he's going to be the one to take time on other GC favorites in ITT's.

I'm not doubting it's a great performance... I just don't know what exactly to do with the times, whether they are as insane as it seems or whether there were favourable conditions... and what the times say about his competitors. I am not good with numbers or juniors, so it was a real question what others say about this, in a bit more detail than "great performance".
It's the only thing you can do. Two months ago he rode the same races with the pro's as Vansevenant. GP Industria & Artigianato, which has a very hilly profile, and was won by Vansevenant outsprinting Landa, Mollema & Quintana, there Ayoso finished 50-something 5 minutes down. In Coppi/Bartali in the first hilly stage he was in the attack with Vansevenant in the finale, he got dropped by Vansevenant, and lost a minute in the last km's. He was 17th in GC finally 2m24 from winner Vingegaard.

Just to give you some point of reference. These are great results for a guy his age, but he's not going to eat Pog for breakfast just yet. I do think however, that he'll make more of an impact as a neopro, than for instance Brenner, because he seems to be more dominant in his wins, but again, like someone mentioned, he's not done many international races, so it's difficult to compare.

He can TT, but the only real international test he did, was the junior Euro TT, where he did "very well" and finished 5th about a minute down form M Vacek. Likely he can improve, but for the moment he doesn't seem like he's going to be the one to take time on other GC favorites in ITT's.

''1km into the ITT my seatpost dropped completely, managed to save the day as best as possible'' Juan Auyso.

That's madness.. He only lost 0:33 to the winner and had same time as the dutch champion D. Hoole!!!

''1km into the ITT my seatpost dropped completely, managed to save the day as best as possible'' Juan Auyso.

That's madness.. He only lost 0:33 to the winner and had same time as the dutch champion D. Hoole!!!
That's indeed madness because i don't believe for a second, that he would ride for 24km with a saddle that has dropped all the way down and only lose 33s. Unless the story is he stopped, raised his saddle, and continued? Which would take maybe 15s or so.

TRENDING THREADS