• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Julian Alaphilippe

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How Alien is Julian Alaphilippe?

  • Contador/Nibali (almost plausible)

    Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Geraint Thomas (pushing it)

    Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Armstrong/Froome (over the top)

    Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Chris Horner (glows in the dark)

    Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Vino

    Votes: 4 4.0%

  • Total voters
    100
Ala has had an insane kick, anaerobic power and likely high power at vo2max. The last couple years he has also exhibited traits of elite lipid power, ie high output at very low blood lactate levels (say, below 2mmol) for extended periods. To give a ballpark, Pinot is on record being able to put out 5w/kg for 4hrs in the grappe study, and the data refers back to times before his full maturity as a rider (2013). Clearly highlipid power is the ticket to the gc game, really.

So what has Ala done to achieve this without losing the kick? Just upped low intensity volume and or matured? Ketones, which presumably boost lipid power? Something else? All of the above?
 
Oct 25, 2016
9
0
2,530
Re:

meat puppet said:
Ala has had an insane kick, anaerobic power and likely high power at vo2max. The last couple years he has also exhibited traits of elite lipid power, ie high output at very low blood lactate levels (say, below 2mmol) for extended periods. To give a ballpark, Pinot is on record being able to put out 5w/kg for 4hrs in the grappe study, and the data refers back to times before his full maturity as a rider (2013). Clearly highlipid power is the ticket to the gc game, really.

So what has Ala done to achieve this without losing the kick? Just upped low intensity volume and or matured? Ketones, which presumably boost lipid power? Something else? All of the above?
What is "lipid power"? Did you perhaps mean aerobic power? Because exogenous ketones turn off fat burning (AKA lipolysis) so fats are not being used to generate power. But, ketones are burned aerobically, even above the "lactate threshold". This is why you see low blood lactate.
 
May 26, 2009
2,614
0
0
I'm convinced Alaphilippe is doped, but here's some serious silliness.

Floyd was doped to the gills, even with steroidsm but when he crossed the line during those faithful days (His collapse and his ressurection)he went to the limit and was not hopping around after the finish.

Same goes for Ricco.. the guy went absolutely to the limit, grimacing when he put the turbo down. He needed to be held uptight by his team when he crossed the line.

Seriously, an adrenaline rush after the finish is no sign for doping. If he really used substances that cause such a rush (steroids, Amphetamine) he sure as hell will light up every test available.

If you dope you still can be puking your guts out after the finish. It's seriously silly to look at a face of a rider crossing the line and conclude someone is clean/doping. The real tests are his power to weight ratio and recuperation (and that one is a huge red flag already).
 
chuuurles said:
Sestriere said:
Danskebjerge said:
chuuurles said:
:surprised: And as Fuglsang said after the race, Alaphilippe didn't even look tired when he crossed the line.
He was same time as Vos up that ramp and 2 seconds faster in the final km than her.
1 km banner → finish line

1:27 - Alaphilippe
1:36 - Thomas
1:41 - Bernal

so she should be smashing the men other than Julian? or conditions weren't the same?
Well, obviously the women's race was a road race, so a totally different effort.
It's just a curious fact, don't think you can interpret anything into that. Otherwise Kirchmann or Uttrup Ludwig would smash Thomas too, as they were only 3 seconds slower than Vos in the final km.
 
Re:

macbindle said:
Just been reading the stage reports in the French press. They are full of insistent sceptical questioning as to how a puncher with only 3/30 victories being TTs can beat the best in the world, not by a couple of seconds but by handfuls, after being at the front of the Tour for 8 days, and beating the worlds best climbers every time and jump off the bike at the end looking like he hadn't just ridden up a 500m 17% climb faster than anyone else. They are being every bit as challenging as they have for Wiggins, Froome, and Thomas (more so in fact, because they couldn't abide the possibility of a French cheat) and arent just accepting Alaphilippe's lame excuses as would be expected from the British press. No eulogising here just because he is French, no favoritism, just pure journalistic integrity.

Its refreshing.
Thanks.
 
May 26, 2009
2,614
0
0
Re:

macbindle said:
An adrenaline rush cant deal with what should have been a massive oxygen debt.

Have a go on a bike then come back and tell us all about it
There's a F*ING history of athletes going through the roof when finishing a sporting event. There's a MUCH longer amount of occasions where the winner does not collapse after the finish.

Indeed, last week with our cat B (oghhh dang I actually am a racer... snap!)the winner of the break jumped around happily. Guess he is a client of Taus as well?

The link with Taus, the history of the team, the performance itself.. all red flags. But an outburst after the finish? That's just too vague.
 
May 27, 2016
27
0
0
Re:

Franklin said:
I'm convinced Alaphilippe is doped, but here's some serious silliness.

Floyd was doped to the gills, even with steroidsm but when he crossed the line during those faithful days (His collapse and his ressurection)he went to the limit and was not hopping around after the finish.

Same goes for Ricco.. the guy went absolutely to the limit, grimacing when he put the turbo down. He needed to be held uptight by his team when he crossed the line.

Seriously, an adrenaline rush after the finish is no sign for doping. If he really used substances that cause such a rush (steroids, Amphetamine) he sure as hell will light up every test available.

If you dope you still can be puking your guts out after the finish. It's seriously silly to look at a face of a rider crossing the line and conclude someone is clean/doping. The real tests are his power to weight ratio and recuperation (and that one is a huge red flag already).
There's merit to what you say but his ability or capacity to be jubilant after he crossed the line demonstrates that he actually still had something left in the tank and that's what I find beyond belief.

Believe it or not it was possible he could have gone even faster than he did
 
May 27, 2016
27
0
0
Re:

macbindle said:
Just been reading the stage reports in the French press. They are full of insistent sceptical questioning as to how a puncher with only 3/30 victories being TTs can beat the best in the world, not by a couple of seconds but by handfuls, after being at the front of the Tour for 8 days, and beating the worlds best climbers every time and jump off the bike at the end looking like he hadn't just ridden up a 500m 17% climb faster than anyone else. They are being every bit as challenging as they have for Wiggins, Froome, and Thomas (more so in fact, because they couldn't abide the possibility of a French cheat) and arent just accepting Alaphilippe's lame excuses as would be expected from the British press. No eulogising here just because he is French, no favoritism, just pure journalistic integrity.

Its refreshing.

Thank you also for posting this that really is refreshing to see as you say.

I so want someone to bust this open tonight and force the pointy end of the Spear riders to follow
 
Right now he is pushing it. He's a good not great time trialist, and I can just about accept that he's in the best form of his life, extra motivation, course that suits him, spent everything he could to hold on and will blow up as a result.

But I don't think that's going to happen. Today I imagine we'll see something ridiculous.


Which French press is saying all that, by the way? Would be interesting to look.
 
I am sure that Alaphilippe will crack a la Simon Yates today - if not today, then tomorrow. I know that Yates was a GC rider then (unlike Alaphilippe now), but Alaphilippe's Tour reminds me of Yates - attacking in early stages, winning a couple of stages while looking alien, to take time on Dumoulin and Froome, before he exploded completely. That showed that he wasn't an alien, but merely flying so high, that he expended all his energy too early and so brought himself back down to earth. The difference is that since Alaphilippe isn't a GC rider, he'll explode a lot earlier than Yates did. Or so I expect!
 
Re: Re:

AustCyclingFan said:
macbindle said:
Just been reading the stage reports in the French press. They are full of insistent sceptical questioning as to how a puncher with only 3/30 victories being TTs can beat the best in the world, not by a couple of seconds but by handfuls, after being at the front of the Tour for 8 days, and beating the worlds best climbers every time and jump off the bike at the end looking like he hadn't just ridden up a 500m 17% climb faster than anyone else. They are being every bit as challenging as they have for Wiggins, Froome, and Thomas (more so in fact, because they couldn't abide the possibility of a French cheat) and arent just accepting Alaphilippe's lame excuses as would be expected from the British press. No eulogising here just because he is French, no favoritism, just pure journalistic integrity.

Its refreshing.

Thank you also for posting this that really is refreshing to see as you say.

I so want someone to bust this open tonight and force the pointy end of the Spear riders to follow

See my signature line ;)
 
Re: Re:

macbindle said:
AustCyclingFan said:
macbindle said:
Just been reading the stage reports in the French press. They are full of insistent sceptical questioning as to how a puncher with only 3/30 victories being TTs can beat the best in the world, not by a couple of seconds but by handfuls, after being at the front of the Tour for 8 days, and beating the worlds best climbers every time and jump off the bike at the end looking like he hadn't just ridden up a 500m 17% climb faster than anyone else. They are being every bit as challenging as they have for Wiggins, Froome, and Thomas (more so in fact, because they couldn't abide the possibility of a French cheat) and arent just accepting Alaphilippe's lame excuses as would be expected from the British press. No eulogising here just because he is French, no favoritism, just pure journalistic integrity.

Its refreshing.

Thank you also for posting this that really is refreshing to see as you say.

I so want someone to bust this open tonight and force the pointy end of the Spear riders to follow

See my signature line ;)
 
May 26, 2009
2,614
0
0
Re: Re:

AustCyclingFan said:
There's merit to what you say but his ability or capacity to be jubilant after he crossed the line demonstrates that he actually still had something left in the tank and that's what I find beyond belief.

Believe it or not it was possible he could have gone even faster than he did
Sorry, the whole argument is getting sillier by the minute. Again, no doubt he's doped (anyone now coming to that conclusion is asleep), but that was an effort at treshold.

He had a burst of wild energy and then he slumped to the curb just as his competitors (just check the photogallery ffs). But here we get people saying he wasn't even panting for breath... it's just f*ing hyperbole right now.

Are we going to the "grimacing"method of judging people? Voeckler? Clean. Roche? Clean. Greg Lemond jumping around after Chamberry? Doper.

Are we going to have a serious discussion about doctors, wattage and recuperation? Or are we going to judge riders on their facial expression? Don't be surprised people will not take you serious if you go that road.
 
Jan 13, 2014
765
0
0
Re: Re:

Uphill bunch sprint - check
Murito uphill sprint - check
35 minute itt - check
Mountain goat - check
 
Mar 26, 2017
75
0
1,680
Alaphilippe to win TDF and also win at Champs sprinting from the first place. And people are still gonna throw stones at me for calling him juiced af.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts