• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Julian Arredondo discussion thread

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
After watching this fantastic (!) LBL, the only thing i had in mind: creating a thread for Julian Arredondo. The guy is riding fantastic in his first year at the WT. And more important, he's a real attacker who shows he can win a race like this in the near future (if you're asking me). The guy got some balls.

What do you think? Discuss al his activities, rumours and other things you want to put into!

20144362_220157_670.jpg

tdsl.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Great rider and having a great season. He's a rider that's always willing to go on the attack and take a chance. One of the few to do this at LBL. I'm liking him more and more.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Loved him today. I don't know much about him so I'd be glad if someone can offer some knowledge about him. He looks quite bulky to be a climber. How is he in high mountains?

He is more a classic rider than a pure climber. During his time in the Italian U23 circuit, he was already one of the better riders in the Italian one day races (he won the big GP Folignano for example).

He says by himself that he is more a rider for the short, steep climbs like Fleche and LBL. FW is his dream race. In Tirreno however, he rode really good on the long climbs, and last year he won on Genting Highlands in Langkawi.

Here's a interview from our respected colleague on CN;)

http://www.cyclingupdates.com/interview-julian-arredondo/

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
JArredondo

From what I have seen a read, he is a climber. As seen by a couple of his wins. I would not go so far as to say he is limited to a "classics" guy only. He was done well in a some short stage races so far.

I am excited to see what he can do at the Giro (I think he is going there). He along with Zoidl are exciting for Trek. I know he has some work to do in in TT, but with what he can do on climbs, maybe he can keep it close.

I am really hoping this guy can be a bright light for Trek, along with Spartacus and Zoidl.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
stabbin31 said:
From what I have seen a read, he is a climber. As seen by a couple of his wins. I would not go so far as to say he is limited to a "classics" guy only. He was done well in a some short stage races so far.

I am excited to see what he can do at the Giro (I think he is going there). He along with Zoidl are exciting for Trek. I know he has some work to do in in TT, but with what he can do on climbs, maybe he can keep it close.

I am really hoping this guy can be a bright light for Trek, along with Spartacus and Zoidl.

He is. Together with Kiserlovski and Zoidl, he will be the man for Trek. His goal is to get a stage win.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
He seems like a killer to me, who has that natural instinct to finish the job. He seems to like attacking, yes, but he's also not afraid to wheelsuck all the way as he proved in San Luis :D

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
This ^... He likes to attack and can climb well. I am very interested to see what he can do in the high mountains. As I said before, I am not sure about his TT'ing and how much that needs to improve.

Does anyone think he can be a factor in one of the Grand Tours?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
stabbin31 said:
This ^... He likes to attack and can climb well. I am very interested to see what he can do in the high mountains. As I said before, I am not sure about his TT'ing and how much that needs to improve.

The potential is there I think. He was 5th in TA and 4th in San Luis. Of course a GT is a whole other ball game, but it shows he can place in a stage race.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in the Giro, it'll be his first GT.

trevim said:
With Jungels, Arredondo, Zoidl, Stuyven, Van Poppel and Watson for the future and Cancellara as the most reliable classics rider around, Trek can definitely get rid of the Schlecks and get someone else.
Agreed. Ship Andy and Roulston off to the glue factory and bring in a decent classics dom or two for Cance. Or an Ardennes contender to mentor the likes of Arredondo and Zoidl.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Reminds me of Betancur both in build and (attacking) style.

277f1463b1da59a9b33be462eb560244.jpeg

stabbin31 said:

In the interview posted earlier, he says:

"I don’t lose my sleep over the GTs. I like to win stages and one-day races."

Refreshingly honest, I think

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
gospina said:
Does anyone know if he got the Visa in time for the Giro? I hope so, thinking he will be the best guy at Trek for the Giro

There were problems, but this was his last tweet

julian arredondo ‏@jarredondo32 29 apr.
Tantas cosas por resolver, esperando todo se solucione y poder estar en mi primer giro de Italia..

It looks fine. If you look at the guys of Colombia Coldeportes, most of them have cleared there visum problems. So i don't expect troubles for Arredondo either.

Arredondo said:
There were problems, but this was his last tweet

julian arredondo ‏@jarredondo32 29 apr.
Tantas cosas por resolver, esperando todo se solucione y poder estar en mi primer giro de Italia..

It looks fine. If you look at the guys of Colombia Coldeportes, most of them have cleared there visum problems. So i don't expect troubles for Arredondo either.

This isn't good. here is my translation:

"So many things left to resolve, waiting for everything to be solved and be able to be at my first giro d' Italia"

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
gospina said:
This isn't good. here is my translation:

"So many things left to resolve, waiting for everything to be solved and be able to be at my first giro d' Italia"

Oops, shame on me. I didn't even read that tweet properly. I just copied it. And i'm learning Spanish this year:eek:

But still i think it will be right, just in time like those things always goes.

Christian said:
277f1463b1da59a9b33be462eb560244.jpeg

In the interview posted earlier, he says:

"I don’t lose my sleep over the GTs. I like to win stages and one-day races."

Refreshingly honest, I think

Great. Too many riders choose to ride for a 10th spot in the GC of a GT while they could win stages if they decided to screw the GC. Look at Costa at last years TdF. It wasn't his intention to screw the GC, but when it was lost he had a good time in the breakaway :)

TRENDING THREADS