Just signed up for my first century ride. Am I crazy?

Jan 13, 2021
Okay, I've been riding 40 miles for my regular ride through rolling hills three or four days a week for the last six weeks or so. I've done a fifty on a day I had planned to do thirty and just felt good. What is your first century like? My goal is just to finish and it's a local ride. No times etc. Advice?

You should be fine as long as you have enough food / water, and keep an EASY pace.
Find a group of riders (or even a single individual) who is riding at an 'I could do this all day' pace, and do the ride as a social event, not as a training ride.
A big mistake is to join a group of fast riders who you can just stay with at the beginning - you'll get dropped and be exhausted and unhappy.

of course you're not mad once you have ridden your 100 you will be wondering just how
far you can go.....

the bicycle is a wonderful tool.......with fitness you already have you should find yourself
like the duracell bunny...going on...and on..as long as you maintain energy levels

Mark L

Oct 6, 2021
You should be fine as long as you have enough food / water, and keep an EASY pace.
Find a group of riders (or even a single individual) who is riding at an 'I could do this all day' pace, and do the ride as a social event, not as a training ride.
A big mistake is to join a group of fast riders who you can just stay with at the beginning - you'll get dropped and be exhausted and unhappy.
I, too, have noticed that it's better to go at your own pace than to compete. We rode with very fast ones once. Everyone was exhausted, not just me!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS